What's new

Question about Johnnie Walker

V

VR6ofpain

I love the stemless wine glasses for my scotch as well.

What bourbon do you like?

I am digging Elijah Craig's 12 year and Knob Creek's 9 year. Another interesting bourbon is Corner Creek. Though it is mild in comparison.
proxy.php

These small batch bourbon's are excellent. I want to drop some cash on Booker's next.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Green is not a blended whisky (i.e. a blend of single malts and grain whisky). Rather, it is a blended (or "vatted") malt whisky, composed of a blend of single malts only (it is not a single malt itself). Thus, someone used to drinking Black or Red might well be happier with the Gold, which will be closer in character.

Ken

+1

I'm a die-hard JW Black fan ... I've never had the Gold, but its on my To-Do list.

In the last six months, I've treated myself to two bottles of Green ... definitely a different animal from the Red or the Black. It has much more "punch" than the Black, and provides a more complex flavor, along with a more intense buzz.

I can't say I like one better than the other ... they're just different.

One thing I've noticed, though, is not to mix different JW-colors in one drinking session. Any one by itself provides a satisfying result, but drink one and then the other, and the results are disastrous. (This applies to all whiskeys/wines/beers, not just JW. Stick to the same booze all night, and you'll be OK.)

I was in Scotland last month and visited the magical Isle of Islay, home to 9 working Distilleries (counting the new Port Charlotte) and visited Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Bowmore and Bruichladdich.

Ok so this thread is about JW. Allow me to disagree with you learned gentlemen. There are much better alternatives, at better pricepoints than JW.

JW Red - Instead, try Grant's Family Reserve. It is distilled and bottled on site by the makes of The Balvenie and Glenfiddich which is why the bottle is the same shape as the Glenfiddich bottle. There are only a handful of distilleries in Scotland that do their own bottling, and this is one of them with the others being Bruichladdich and Springbank, iirc.

JW Black - Try Black Bottle instead. It is a blend of all the different Islay malts is an extremely well rounded pleasing drink.

There is a neat little book authored by Jim Murray called "The Whisky Bible" which I highly recommend as it has reviews and tasting notes of virtually every whisky on the market today.

proxy.php

The Bruichladdich Bottling Line the week before Feis Ile

proxy.php

The stills at Ardbeg

JW Black - Try Black Bottle instead. It is a blend of all the different Islay malts is an extremely well rounded pleasing drink.

As such, isn't it more comparable to JW Green?

I've never heard of Black Bottle, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I don't think its available at any of the liquor stores I normally shop. Perhaps they can special order it for me.

Has anyone ever heard of Prime Malt? It is made and bottled by the Laphroaig distillery, with a generic label. I had a bartendress recommend it one day when I asked for Laphroaig 15, and I must say, it did the same job ... at a considerably lower price. I've looked for Prime Malt in liquor stores all over, but no one's ever seen it or even heard of it.

As such, isn't it more comparable to JW Green?

I've never heard of Black Bottle, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I don't think its available at any of the liquor stores I normally shop. Perhaps they can special order it for me.

Has anyone ever heard of Prime Malt? It is made and bottled by the Laphroaig distillery, with a generic label. I had a bartendress recommend it one day when I asked for Laphroaig 15, and I must say, it did the same job ... at a considerably lower price. I've looked for Prime Malt in liquor stores all over, but no one's ever seen it or even heard of it.

My understanding is that Black Bottle also includes grain whiskey, so it would be more comparable to the JW Black than the Green which does not contain grain, only all single malts.

I never heard of Prime and a quick glance through my copy of Jim Murray's Whisky Bible doesn't reveal anything.

V

VR6ofpain

I've had the Knob Creek before. How do the other 2 compare to it?
Corner Creek is very mellow, but smooth. Considering I purchased it on sale for $12.99 at BevMo it is a steal. Still I would say Knob Creek is better overall, regardless of price.

Now for Elijah Craig I still have not made up my mind. Both are distinct, but Elijah Craig seems a tad smoother (without being mellow like Corner Creek). I want to say I like the Elijah Craig more...but the more I drink the Knob Creek, the more I am liking it. Time will tell.

+1

I'm a die-hard JW Black fan ... I've never had the Gold, but its on my To-Do list.

In the last six months, I've treated myself to two bottles of Green ...

Okay, someone PLEASE talk me out of running out to the liquor store and buying a bottle of Green Label... My wife will kill me. I've been wanting to try it for awhile now.

I was in Scotland last month and visited the magical Isle of Islay, home to 9 working Distilleries (counting the new Port Charlotte) and visited Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Bowmore and Bruichladdich.

Ok so this thread is about JW. Allow me to disagree with you learned gentlemen. There are much better alternatives, at better pricepoints than JW.

JW Red - Instead, try Grant's Family Reserve. It is distilled and bottled on site by the makes of The Balvenie and Glenfiddich which is why the bottle is the same shape as the Glenfiddich bottle. There are only a handful of distilleries in Scotland that do their own bottling, and this is one of them with the others being Bruichladdich and Springbank, iirc.

There is a neat little book authored by Jim Murray called "The Whisky Bible" which I highly recommend as it has reviews and tasting notes of virtually every whisky on the market today.

proxy.php

The Bruichladdich Bottling Line the week before Feis Ile

proxy.php

The stills at Ardbeg

I found the Black Bottle at BevMo and had some tonight. It was the same price as JW Black. It was nice. I found it to be similar to JW Black. A bit smokey and bit more complex

Top Bottom