What's new

Qshave parthenon: My thoughts

It seems that I have been blessed lately. Yes I have been married to the same woman for 30 years, yes I have 2 beautiful daughters, yes I have 2 of the cutest grand kids and yes I'm doing a job that I love but the blessings I'm talking about is that people keep sending me razors to use!

Today I used the qshave parthenon,

proxy.php

This razor comes in a large beautiful package (at least the one I'm using). I mean this reminded me of the packaging of the Oneblade Genesis which is a $400 razor.

It is a sharp looking razor. The silver and blade give it a very upscale look. Think white tie not penguin. The razor well put together. It seems lighter and less substantial than say a Vintage Fatboy or Slim but not cheap feeling either. Loading the blade is easy with the TTO mechanism. Blade aligned perfectly and securely. The Parthenon is an adjustable that ranges from 1-9. The adjuster doesn't click and the numbers stamped in are the odd numbers and the even numbers are just marks.
Since I like aggressive razors I decided to start at 6. Placing the cap on the face and lowering the handle until I found the right angle. The angle was easy to find and wasnt unnatural. Sometimes when the balance of a razor is off the effort to hold the angle takes more effort. The Parthenon doesn't have this issue. Going down the cheek the blade feel was pretty aggressive. Actually it felt like it just wanted to bite. I had to pause. The last razor I had used was the Rex Ambassador which was smooth no matter how aggressive you set it. The Qshave isn't the Rex! After a few more strokes I decided to turn down the adjustment dial. First to 5 and finally to 4. At this setting the feeling that the blade wanted to dig into my skin went away. I finished 3 passes and ended up with a good shave but also had a few weepers but no irritation. I'll have to take a close look at the blade next shave because it just seems to want to bites instead of shave.

Maybe I was just spoiled by the Rex and the jump to Qshave is a jump too far. I guess we will find out as I get a few more shaves in.

Would you happen to know what kind
Of metal the razor is made of ?
I can't find any lnfo about this razor
Can't even find out the weight of the razor.

Would you happen to know what kind
Of metal the razor is made of ?
I can't find any lnfo about this razor
Can't even find out the weight of the razor.

From what I’ve been able to gather, the original idea was to make it all brass, but it seems that at least one piece, the blade tray, was openly stated later as being zamac.

Very nice take on the Parthenon @imatabor. In my experience just like yours, on the higher settings the razor does feel very aggressive and not as smooth. But once dialed down to 5 or under, it's very efficient and much easier to get a really good shave. Though, if your not careful it can bite.

For those that would like to read up more, here is a link to a similar thread....

Q shave Parthenon new TTO adjustable razor.

I used my Parthenon on #3. I found that with a Gillette 7 O’clock green I got a terrible shave. When used with the supplied Feather the shave was very good. This is one razor that will respond to some blade choices.

I have to applaude Q Shave for getting this razor out so quickly, however it is clear that the razor probably had a few kinks that needed ironing out before mass producing, and they have also come out and said as much, according to a comment I read from the co founder of the company.

Due to the lack of drainage holes, and tray design, according to multiple reviews, and the only YouTube review of the razor, it is prone to clogging, with the only way to wash away the lather and hairs is to open the razor doors... Between strokes..

Q shave being proactive, and working on an updated version, to improve clogging and to make it smoother to use.

Would be interesting to see what comes of it, as if they get it right, would be hard to pass up at the price point.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I turned down the adjuster to 3 to see if it would smooth out. (On a side point the numbers and indicator notch are just etched in without any time of paint. This made it sort of hard to see them.) Well 3 didn't seem to smooth it out much. It still feels like it wants to bite, 3 passes and I got a decent shave but I got a few weepers. A nice one right under my nose as I was trying to go atg,
I saw some people had problems with it not rinsing well. I had no problem at all.

I think I'm done with the Qshave. I'm glad I got to try it. It Is a nice looking razor for sure but it isn't for me. It just isn't an enjoyable razor for me at all.

What's the story on those holes in the base plate around the handle?
Ventilation? Manoeuvering thrusters?
Do they go all the way through?
Do they clog up with lather?

What's the story on those holes in the base plate around the handle?
Ventilation? Manoeuvering thrusters?
Do they go all the way through?
Do they clog up with lather?
I grabbed that photo from their kickstarter page. The one I have doesn't have the holes. It is just smooth. Now I'm disappointed that mine doesn't have the rocket boosters!

Overall I wasn't jazzed with the Parthenon. The doors don't open wide enough for the blade to simply drop in, it has to be one side then the other. Also, the adjustment knob is hard to turn. It was impossible for me to adjust while shaving with wet soapy hands. I started my shave on 1 and then moved to 3 and then 5. The three was the best setting, pretty smooth, the 5 felt rough with some rattling feeling going on. I had a very acceptable face shave, but the head shave was far from what I'm used to getting. It came with a tuck of Q Shave branded blades (made in USA). I didn't try those, but rather used a new Gillette Nacet.

Top Bottom