What's new

Putting the shaving soap on your skin--how do YOU do it?

I keep reading here and there that the best way to use a brush is to swirl it around in little circles on your face. This does seem to make sense because when you do it this way the shaving soap is being applied to your face from all different directions. However, whenever I try to do this it's really awkward feeling. I just can't get the hang of it, and I use a pretty good brush and good soap.

So what I do is kind of "paint" the soap on my face. I just brush it on like I'm painting my face. and I must say that this is such a pleasant feeling. This is actually the one thing that I love most when I'm shaving--applying the shaving soap, because it feels so good!

So is it OK that I'm doing it this way? I seem to be violating one of the "rules", if there are any. But I still get a really close shave.

I keep reading here and there that the best way to use a brush is to swirl it around in little circles on your face. This does seem to make sense because when you do it this way the shaving soap is being applied to your face from all different directions. However, whenever I try to do this it's really awkward feeling. I just can't get the hang of it, and I use a pretty good brush and good soap.

So what I do is kind of "paint" the soap on my face. I just brush it on like I'm painting my face. and I must say that this is such a pleasant feeling. This is actually the one thing that I love most when I'm shaving--applying the shaving soap, because it feels so good!

So is it OK that I'm doing it this way? I seem to be violating one of the "rules", if there are any. But I still get a really close shave.

The most important part of your post is the final sentence. If you're getting close shaves you're doing just fine. Personally, I mix the two techniques. I apply in circles first, and then do a bit of painting if need be to even things out.

The most important part of your post is the final sentence. If you're getting close shaves you're doing just fine. Personally, I mix the two techniques. I apply in circles first, and then do a bit of painting if need be to even things out.

Same here.

I find that doing circles on my face makes it easier to build the lather and it helps work it into my beard really well. After my lather is good to go, I paint across my face to even out the lathery-goodness and make sure every area is covered nicely.

I do a mixture of circling and painting motions in no particular order until my face is covered with a nice layer of lather.

A little bit of both serves me well - I even massage some in with my fingertips when the fancy strikes me.

I'll usually use circular motions for the first pass and then painting motions for the second and third.

Top Bottom