What's new

Pu-erh - Buy Online or Locally in San Francisco?

Living just outside of San Francisco means that I'm able to get into the city quite often, and my wife and I enjoy taking the kids into Chinatown on occasion. I'm typically a coffee drinker and have been home roasting for several years, but I decided to stop into Red Blossom Tea while in SF yesterday and left with a nice, but inexpensive oolong and some peppermint rose tea. I also purchased one of their glass infusers, which is quite nice for the $20 it cost.

Anyhow, I've been doing some reading and have discovered that many people enjoy Pu-erh tea. I would like to try some, but I'm wondering if I should order from a shop such as Jas-etea or head back into the city to buy locally. Despite living close to Chinatown, I'm inclined to buy online because the shop I mentioned seems to have a good reputation, and prices seem reasonable. In contrast, it's hard to judge the quality of a tea at some random shop, particularly since I'm very new to the experience. Red Blossom is nice and service is good, but the teas seem expensive.

Can anyone on here recommend a reputable shop in SF where I can purchase some pu-erh tea at a reasonable price? If not, I may just place an order online.

Thanks!

Since you just want to try it, I would just pick some up at Red Blossom to see if it's your thing.

If you do like it, there are myriad places to buy pu erh, and lots of options: from fresh, young, raw pu erh to 100-year-old aged stuff that costs more than gold to cooked pu erh that can be a fairly good substitute for traditionally stored raw pu.

If you decide to buy online you might consider YunnanSourcing". Owner,operator Scott Wilson,a young man from Portland,Ore. went to Kunming over ten years ago and has built his business without help. He has a decent variety of puerh tea and his prices are right. Good luck.

If you decide to buy online you might consider YunnanSourcing". Owner,operator Scott Wilson,a young man from Portland,Ore. went to Kunming over ten years ago and has built his business without help. He has a decent variety of puerh tea and his prices are right. Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up buying a few things from Jas-etea after having a chat with the owner, but I'll have to check out Yunnan Sourcing at some point as well.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm from NY, where anyone with even modest connections can acquire anything from plutonium to a still beating human heart, and I have yet to encounter any decent pu'er in a shop.

I'd stick to the internet.

Cant go wrong with Jas-etea. Forum member that started doing this as a group buy for the members. Got such good response that he went into business.

In the Bay Area, Peet's actually carries good Pu-erh, but even better stuff can be had at the Imperial Tea Court in SF, both at the Ferry Building and off Powell Street just outside of Chinatown. Look 'em up!

In the Bay Area, Peet's actually carries good Pu-erh, but even better stuff can be had at the Imperial Tea Court in SF, both at the Ferry Building and off Powell Street just outside of Chinatown. Look 'em up!

I appreciate the recommendation. I've heard of Imperial Tea Court and will check them out.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I'm always suspicious of anyone who sells pu'er with descriptions like this-

2007 Pu Erh Bing Cha $35

Top Bottom