What's new

Proraso vs. Omega

On a recent trip to Seattle I stumbled across Omega shaving cream in a local supermarket.
I opened the tester and the cream instantly reminded me of Proraso.

To find out more about Omega shaving cream, I did some research on this forum but I was not sure what to believe:
- Some members stated that both were the same.
- Some members claimed that Omega was different, in fact superior to Proraso, as it was said to contain lanolin.

I just shaved having used both and would be hard pressed to determine in a blind test which one is which.
As far as the claim that Omega contains lanolin is concerned, I could not find any reference to lanolin on packaging or tube.
In fact, the list of ingredients is identical to the one for Proraso, down to the exact same sequence on the list of ingredients.
Comparing Omega and Proraso tubes and tubs, these are identical too except for colour and print.

Considering that Omega is foremost a manufacturer of brushes, from paint brushes to paint rollers, art brushes, all the way down to shaving brushes, and that shaving cream and soap is only a sideline for them, it is unlikely that Omega manufacture shaving soaps themselves.

I therefore believe that Omega shaving soaps are made by Proraso, with a high probability that Omega is re-branded, but otherwise identical to Proraso.
This would not be the first time for Proraso, there is a wide consensus that C.O. Bigelow's "Made in Italy" shaving cream is made by them.

What does it matter?
Very little; except that Proraso is much easier to find both in Italy and in North America, where it is even carried by a Canadian nationwide drugstore chain.
On the other hand, the 150 g tube of Omega shaving cream can be bought in the US from Amazon for little more than 2/3 of the price of the 150 g tube Proraso.
As far as the C.O. Bigelow's shaving cream is concerned; it is currently sold out.

As these three creams appear to be interchangeable, this information may come handy when shopping for either of the three brands.

Last edited:
I am curious to see any info on this. i love proraso ,, but I am also curious to try omega. The top of the soap looks just like the top of proraso when you first open it up , the same swirly pattern , cicles , on the top of the soap. I wonder if it has as much of a cooling effect that proraso does.

Last edited:
Here is what I seem to remember. I think Omega shaving cream is either re-branded Proraso, or made by Proraso. In turn, Proraso sells a boar haired brush that is made by Omega.

The same. The older Omega had Lanolin in it.

Won a bet with a drunk neighbor. Tell the difference in the two and win $100. He couldnt tell the difference. He paid $100 and bought a keg of Yuengling. He shaved 7 days straight- 3-3-1. Swore they were the same. Shaved sober. He swore Proraso was king btw.

co bigelow/prossao,was the first cream i tried (not in a can)and i find it to be very good stuff.

Last edited:
I love proraso both in tub and tube . Was curious about trying out omega . Seems to me that it might be best to buy omega when I run out . If it's the same it's deft cheaper

I shave with the Omega in the black tub, its really good stuff. I also use the CO Bigelow in the green tube, they smell almost identical and both provide great shave. I haven't bought any of the tubs of Proraso b/c I read that it was the same as the Omega and the Omega does seem to be a little cheaper.

I've used both, the soaps and creams, and feel that Proraso is better. At least for me. I like the Proraso scent better and it seems to have much more menthol as to me the difference is quite noticeable. I liked the Omega soap better than the cream as I thought it performed a little better, but not to much higher level. You can generally get the Omega stuff cheaper so that can be a plus for those counting their pennies. If you like Proraso then you'll like Omega, but I'm not saying you'll like it more.

I agree that there is a difference between the Omega and Proraso soaps in the tub. The omega seems to have less menthol and a lighter scent which I prefer overall. As for the creams in the tubes I have only tried CO Bigelow.

On a recent trip to Seattle I stumbled across Omega shaving cream in a local supermarket.
I opened the tester and the cream instantly reminded me of Proraso.

To find out more about Omega shaving cream, I did some research on this forum but I was not sure what to believe:
- Some members stated that both were the same.
- Some members claimed that Omega was different, in fact superior to Proraso, as it was said to contain lanolin.

I just shaved having used both and would be hard pressed to determine in a blind test which one is which.
As far as the claim that Omega contains lanolin is concerned, I could not find any reference to lanolin on packaging or tube.
In fact, the list of ingredients is identical to the one for Proraso, down to the exact same sequence on the list of ingredients.
Comparing Omega and Proraso tubes and tubs, these are identical too except for colour and print.

Considering that Omega is foremost a manufacturer of brushes, from paint brushes to paint rollers, art brushes, all the way down to shaving brushes, and that shaving cream and soap is only a sideline for them, it is unlikely that Omega manufacture shaving soaps themselves.

I therefore believe that Omega shaving soaps are made by Proraso, with a high probability that Omega is re-branded, but otherwise identical to Proraso.
This would not be the first time for Proraso, there is a wide consensus that C.O. Bigelow's "Made in Italy" shaving cream is made by them.

What does it matter?
Very little; except that Proraso is much easier to find both in Italy and in North America, where it is even carried by a Canadian nationwide drugstore chain.
On the other hand, the 150 g tube of Omega shaving cream can be bought in the US from Amazon for little more than 2/3 of the price of the 150 g tube Proraso.
As far as the C.O. Bigelow's shaving cream is concerned; it is currently sold out.

As these three creams appear to be interchangeable, this information may come handy when shopping for either of the three brands.

To me they are both same. However, I do have a couple of older Omega and Proraso creams which contain lanolin. The current production formulas have removed them from the ingredients list.

I currently have the green Proraso tub and the Omega tube. Aside from a slight difference in consistency between tub and tube, I'd call them the same soap. For me, they shave identically. Omega tube is usually cheaper than Proraso tub, unless I go to a certain Italian grocery store near me, where Proraso tub is cheaper. In either case, we're talking less than $10 for either product, on sale, or not.

I've used proraso cream, omega soap in a tub. They're obviously very close. I'd agree that Omega's a bit less mentholated. Both shave me the same---which is very well! :drool:

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet but soon there will be a true noticeable difference between Proraso and Omega as there will be a new formula produced by a different manufacturer. I was hoping for a return of lanolin but it is not listed in the ingredients list :mellow:

I have both. Proraso has more menthol smell and Omega has more soapy smell. They both feel and shave the same. I have no preference. Omega is cheaper though.

Top Bottom