What's new

Proraso vs. Foamy menthol

If i decide to buy a brand new de safety razor, should i use proraso shave cream or can i use instead gillette foamy menthol instead? Which one will yield me better results overall in the long run assuming we can even assume this in the first place?? Im all ears......

There is nothing blasphemous about using canned foam with a DE razor if you like it and it works for you. Whether the results are better or not, only you can judge.

I used Gillette foam for the first year after switching to DE shaving. I’ve never used the Proraso foam but I know people who really like it, too. I haven’t used any canned foam or gel in years, but if I remember correctly, one can would only last me 3 months—why not try both?

I really enjoy the scent of Barbasol original foam. It’s actually a real complex scent. The Foamy smells too Gillette-generic to me.

The Proraso will most likely yield the best results. Huge difference between the ingredients of Foamy and Proraso.

Just don’t skimp on working the foam in and make sure to use enough water to hydrate the lather.

You can get good results with canned foam so try it.
if you never tried soft tube, thicker jar of even bar soap you are missing out a bit and giving it a try is recommended

Don’t hold me to it.. but I believe there’s a Gillette canned gel that you can just rub in, when finished shaving, as aftershave.

I think it’s the 2 in 1 Gillette Proglide gel

You can use whatever you'd like to use.

Vast majority of wet-shavers prefer either a shaving soap or a shaving cream and some use a shaving gel.

Generally speaking, canned, under-pressure stuff is considered a "goo", but each to his own.

A lot of people into this aren’t big into foams from a can, but honestly if I never read anywhere that it’s apparently blasphemous I would use it more than I usually do. I can get no nick no irritation shaves with Barbasol. It’s just nicer soaps are more fun.

A lot of people into this aren’t big into foams from a can, but honestly if I never read anywhere that it’s apparently blasphemous I would use it more than I usually do. I can get no nick no irritation shaves with Barbasol. It’s just nicer soaps are more fun.

To be honest, I have came across a good handful of posts that did refer to the blasphemy of canned goo.. but I can’t necessarily say it was here on B&B haha

Nothing wrong with the canned stuff.. propellants “dry” but a good AS balm hydrates and moisturizes. I always have my go-to cans of Barbasol, Proraso, Noxzema, and Gillette Barbershop

I use Barbasol foam at times in my rotation, alongside my brush products.
I do it just to have variety in shaving.
The Pacific Rush and Sensitive fragrances are my favorites. I can get great shaves with canned foam!

Canned foam works perfectly fine. Before the days of forums and shaving being treated as a Zelda-like quest for BBS perfection, most people used canned foam and went about their day. I still use Foamy or Barbasol at least once a month if I have to shave quickly. With a one year old boy in the house, luxuriating in shaving bliss isn't always an option.

"Proraso smells better"

Okay... so about 2 weeks ago I opened up my first ever Proraso anything... well the preshave.. the white one. And to be honest it works magically well. Weirdly well (well my face feels awesome using it!). HOWEVER at the same time I am using my first ever shaving soap ... so I happened to be reading your collective wisdom of said shaving soaps and their magical bases .. with their TOP notes of blah blah middle notes of etc etc and bottom notes of mmmhmmmm and other things folks are obsessed with.

And don't get me wrong .. Proraso works weirdly well but when I opened up that jar lid, this is what came to mind : Proraso white is top notes of urinal puck, middle notes of vomit and bottom notes of stale beer. I am not sure what to make of it other than clearly the person who came up w/ that scent is reliving the heady days of a punk rock bathroom.

"Proraso smells better"

Okay... so about 2 weeks ago I opened up my first ever Proraso anything... well the preshave.. the white one. And to be honest it works magically well. Weirdly well (well my face feels awesome using it!). HOWEVER at the same time I am using my first ever shaving soap ... so I happened to be reading your collective wisdom of said shaving soaps and their magical bases .. with their TOP notes of blah blah middle notes of etc etc and bottom notes of mmmhmmmm and other things folks are obsessed with.

And don't get me wrong .. Proraso works weirdly well but when I opened up that jar lid, this is what came to mind : Proraso white is top notes of urinal puck, middle notes of vomit and bottom notes of stale beer. I am not sure what to make of it other than clearly the person who came up w/ that scent is reliving the heady days of a punk rock bathroom.

Haha never smelled Proraso white but I do like the eucalyptus menthol flavor of the Proraso green

Reactions: Avi
If i decide to buy a brand new de safety razor, should i use proraso shave cream or can i use instead gillette foamy menthol instead? Which one will yield me better results overall in the long run assuming we can even assume this in the first place?? Im all ears......
Canned foam was originally developed as a convenience product so men did not have to use a shaving brush and build lather the old-fashioned way. It is quick. If it works OK for you, there's nothing wrong with it. One downside with a lot of the canned foams is they may use detergents like sodium laurel sulfate or preservatives and chemicals that some people have a reaction to. There is also a lot of waste in the packaging.

There are many good brands of shaving cream in a tube out there. You don't have to restrict yourself to Proraso, so look around a bit.

Any of them available locally to you? Just Proraso (Bigelow) and Gillette Pure are the only tubed ones around my area

"Proraso smells better"

Be happy you never smelled arko

• Haha
Reactions: Avi
Top Bottom