What's new

Proraso – Do I really need anything different?

I will get around to trying other products, qVAMPIREp. I know I will. Proraso is just simple to use, and I enjoy the shave I receive from it.

But, I'm just so new to this wet-shaving experience. No sense "burning-out" within my first year. (Gotta pace myself, right?)

I've made a list of soaps / creams to try. That will be accomplished one day.

For now, I'll get the Proraso-fix satiated... and, have plenty of items stockpiled to get my hobby-aspect of shaving started. If I'm going to start somewhere - it may as well be with a product I already enjoy using.

macnutty - Seems like a good benefits with the Aloe and Vitamin E. Reviews seem to confirm, for many, that it is their favorite of the bunch for purpose-driven cream. (Especially since I'm not getting any younger.)

May find I look better after using a few weeks.

Sure couldn't get any uglier from using it.

I seem to always go back to Proraso

I'm still in the "this is all so new to me" phase, Devlin.

And, it's easy for me to make lather and adjust consistency... when needed.

Still a bit intimidated by the hard-soaps... although, I've practiced regularly with an inexpensive puck of Van der Hagan. Once I allowed the puck to "bloom", (I think is what it is called), it's made it relatively easy to do. Even for me.

I'm still in the "this is all so new to me" phase, Devlin.

And, it's easy for me to make lather and adjust consistency... when needed.

Still a bit intimidated by the hard-soaps... although, I've practiced regularly with an inexpensive puck of Van der Hagan. Once I allowed the puck to "bloom", (I think is what it is called), it's made it relatively easy to do. Even for me.
From what I have gathered VdH is not the easiest soap to lather, so if you can manage you should be able to manage all good hard soaps.

But, they aren’t going anywhere.

This is what a lot of people say right before the company stops producing it.

Samples are a great way to try a bunch of stuff to see if you at least like the scent. And Proraso has different scents. There are European creams in tubes that are similar to Proraso and don't cost much if you get it shipped directly from a European vendor or get it from an ethnic grocery.

It's OK to give in to temptation and laugh in the face of restraint.:thumbup:

I understand that logic, Bengal Tiger. But, I just figure if I've never used it before... I'm technically not going to miss it too much.

I might try a sampler-pack of stuff, too. (Sometime…) But, soaps and aftershaves are where things begin to add up pretty quickly. And, my priorities are focused in other directions during this time of year.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with something you like forever, many of our Grandfathers did that. I've always been a hobbyist so I like to explore but it's not necessary or needed. The goal should be simply your happiness.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with something you like forever, many of our Grandfathers did that. I've always been a hobbyist so I like to explore but it's not necessary or needed. The goal should be simply your happiness.

Now, it's a party.

The RazoRock / Italian Barber himself showed up.

So, when is that Proraso (Blue) aftershave going to be back in stock? I've got a little bit of cash and it's burning a hole in my computer-screen to spend money with you, fellow.

I agree.

For me, there were three phases:
(1) First, I stuck to the widely known and recommended products (like Proraso, Nivea, Palmolive, and of course Williams too) to get my technique right.
(2) Next, I tried a wide range of products to broaden my horizons, but invariably found most of them wanting in one respect or another. During this time the cabinet and shelves in my bathroom started bulging under the weight of all the different soaps and creams.
(3) Lastly, (the Grandfather stage if you want to call it that) I settled for a reasonably small range of products that work for me and that I like, and think twice before I try new products, having learned in the previous stage that most new products were not really an improvement of what I was using already.

B.

I'm a prorasso red guy myself. It is popular for a reason. Maybe prorasso is not the "best" whatever that is but it's pretty damn good!

Everytime I use Proraso I have to ask myself why bother with other soaps and creams? The answer of course it variety being the spice of life. While there are many good soaps and creams to choose from, Proraso really is as good as anything out there.

I'm reminded of the maxim that "the best is the enemy of the good". You have found yourself a high-performing low-cost product that delivers for you, day in, day out. There may be products out there that are better for you, and the day may come when you decide to branch out and explore other offerings. You'll recognise that feeling if it arrives, so don't sweat it in the slightest. In the meantime, enjoy your shave, your way, with the products that work for you.

Okay, everyone:

I got my Proraso-fix out of the way on an order… and, added a couple of different soaps and aftershaves to “expand my horizons.” Figured I could try something new once I came off of the road from working these last ten-months. You only live once, right?

Our friend, “Italian Barber”, didn’t have the Proraso (Blue) Aftershave Balm, so I had to source that from another supplier. (I couldn’t hold in my anticipation any longer. Sorry, Italian Barber.) There’s definitely plenty to choose from on that website for many items I would like to try, though.

What was in-stock there was Saponificio Varesino Shaving Soap, (Manna di Sicilia), and Saponificio Varesino Aftershave Balm, (Manna di Sicilia). (Now, that’s as Italian as Proraso… am I right?) I’m told it is a good soap for both lather and slickness. And, some say that the scent is quite unique, as well. Looking forward to finding out.

The other soap that I decided to try was WSP (Wet Shaving Products) Bay Rum Formula T Shaving Soap, and the WSP Bay Rum Aftershave Tonic Splash. (I passed on the Aftershave Balm this time.) I like the Bay Rum scent, although my only experience with it is from Pinnaud-Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. But, a number of forum-members seem to like the performance of the WSP Formula T soap – so, I added it and the aftershave to a purchase on the manufacturer’s website.

Although I am anxious to try the Proraso (Blue) quite a bit, I have a couple of others to look forward to, as well. Hopefully, my selections passed the test for "items worthy to try." Both were products I’ve read many positive comments on here within the forums.

Although these are soaps… and, we’re technically in the Cream-section of the forum… I went for it to try something different.

When I first started wetshaving I bought some CO Bigelow (aka Proraso) on sale at one of those body works shop. But, later that year I went into a shaving shop in Charlottesville, VA and smelled a bunch of stuff and ended up buying a tub of TOBS cream. A little while later while browsing TJ Maxx or Marshall's I saw a couple of tubs for Crabtree and Evelyn shave cream and picked them up. It creeps up and then you're addicted (AD).

My point is it is good to try the different soaps and creams out there. I like buying soaps when I can from the local artisans, I'm from NJ and lived in Ocean Grove NJ. When I found out Catie Bubbles is in NJ and then saw the soap called Ocean Grove I had to buy it.

You should try the Proraso blue but when I did, I found it my least favorite of the line. It works fine and has a good post shave feel so don't get me wrong. It's ok. I just like the others better. If I had to rank them, Red and White in a tie for 1st (both great for different reasons), green 2nd, and blue 3rd.

Proraso has been used exclusively by Italian barbers for decades, literally! So it's a great option to stick with! As already covered above, there is a world of various soaps and creams to try, but that's totally up to you.
There are, I guess, 2 approaches and reasons for wet shaving rather than the current/modern 'disposable razor + foamed lather':
1) I wet shave to shave money, and great and efficient shaving results.
2) I wet shave for great efficient shaving results, but to INDULGE the senses - smell, feel, etc.

Haha I took up wet shave to option 1. But it's well and truely morphed into option 2!!

When you feel you are ready to try other soaps, try some the classics (Tabac, etc). Then try some of the wonderful artisan products.

All the best in this wonderful journey!

I've never shaved money before. Unless you mean shaving money off of your expenditures; that's always a plus!

Kidding aside, Proraso isn't the only shaving cream out there, but I can totally understand why someone would want to stick with it. It's been my main cream ever since I started over 5 years ago (although I have used some TOBS scents at times, too).

I've never shaved money before. Unless you mean shaving money off of your expenditures; that's always a plus!

Kidding aside, Proraso isn't the only shaving cream out there, but I can totally understand why someone would want to stick with it. It's been my main cream ever since I started over 5 years ago (although I have used some TOBS scents at times, too).

Haha oh sure shaving money is the latest thing! Oops ;)

There are many amazing shaving creams out there for sure, but Proraso is a very solid performer. The Portuguese make some amazing shaving creams, in fact.
2 really worth trying are...
1) Principe Real Antiga Barbearia de Bairro
2) Ach. Brito Lavanda

Both contain Lanolin also, fantastic ingredients list. 'Wow' level performers.

There is much to try!

Top Bottom