What's new

Progress vs Slim Adjustable

I have been experimenting with these two razors. I really wanted to like the Gillette, but it seems like no matter how I set it, hold it, or what blade, cream or soap I use I can't get a comfortable shave out of it. If it's set low enough to be comfortable it leaves my face un-smooth. Higher and it's no fun. It's funny - I can stop midway through a rough and uncomfortable Gillette shave, swap the blade into my Progress and it's like night and day - and I can open the Progress way up! I guess my face just doesn't like it or something!

I have a NIB SS I'm going to try. Maybe I'll have better luck with it.

I use my Progress at about 2-2.5. I use my slim and FB at about 3-4. I get comparable shaves from them. I also use a 40's SS.

The Progress provides the most comfy shaves. The Gillettes provide great shaves as well, but are just a whiskers breadth less comfy. my aftershave zings me a bit more with the Gillettes. The Gillettes need a different razor angle as they don't hold the blade at the same angle as the Progress.

all that being said, they are all great shaves and really nothing to complain about.

I'm with you Mike,

I've never been able to get as close or comfortable shave with a Slim as I can with an HD, Slant or Vision. I've got a Mergress on the way.

I've noticed that, when closed, the Merkurs place the blade at an angle that's different from the Slim but just right for me. :biggrin:

I'm with you Mike,

I've never been able to get as close or comfortable shave with a Slim as I can with an HD, Slant or Vision. I've got a Mergress on the way.

I've noticed that, when closed, the Merkurs place the blade at an angle that's different from the Slim but just right for me. :biggrin:

I suspect that's what it is. I am anxious to try my non-adjustable Gillettes to see how they work out. I love the silo loading, but not thrilled with the shave. Maybe a different model Gillette will do the trick for me!

I use my Progress at about 2-2.5. I use my slim and FB at about 3-4. I get comparable shaves from them. I also use a 40's SS.

The Progress provides the most comfy shaves. The Gillettes provide great shaves as well, but are just a whiskers breadth less comfy. my aftershave zings me a bit more with the Gillettes. The Gillettes need a different razor angle as they don't hold the blade at the same angle as the Progress.

all that being said, they are all great shaves and really nothing to complain about.

Hey, we use about the same settings!

My biggest problem is right at the corners of my mouth. The Gillette causes some pain and bloodshed not matter what I do. The Progress just cuts the hair.

I have been experimenting with these two razors. I really wanted to like the Gillette, but it seems like no matter how I set it, hold it, or what blade, cream or soap I use I can't get a comfortable shave out of it. If it's set low enough to be comfortable it leaves my face un-smooth. Higher and it's no fun. It's funny - I can stop midway through a rough and uncomfortable Gillette shave, swap the blade into my Progress and it's like night and day - and I can open the Progress way up! I guess my face just doesn't like it or something!

Is it blade issue? as we know, razors reacy differently to different blades.. what are you using in the Slim? I have had very good luck with a Derby extra.

Is it blade issue? as we know, razors reacy differently to different blades.. what are you using in the Slim? I have had very good luck with a Derby extra.

I have a sampler pack, and I've tried Derby, Personna and Crystals in it. They are all about as uncomfortable as each other. I was going to try the Feathers, but I think I'll save that for when I'm really feeling masochistic :)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
IMO, the Progress gives a much closer shave than the Slim Adjustable. I am not saying that one is better than the other, that is just the way they perform for me.

There is not one Gillette in my arsenal that I prefer over a Merkur. Heck, I'll even take some Injectors over my Gillettes. But none of the Merkur's or the Injectors look nicer than my Gillettes. :wink:

Well I guess I am the voice of dissent here. I had a Merkur 38C and found it too big and heavy compared to my Gillette slim.

I have not tried a Progress however - I may get one just to try. Hmm.

V

VR6ofpain

I suspect that's what it is. I am anxious to try my non-adjustable Gillettes to see how they work out. I love the silo loading, but not thrilled with the shave. Maybe a different model Gillette will do the trick for me!
The non-adjustable TTO's seem even worse. I tried to love some 60's Super-Speeds, but just couldn't. The shaves are no good. A Rocket can be better, but still pales in comparison to the Progress.

Stick with the Progress.

I got a Mergress and a Slim, the Slim I have had for over 30 years and for a long time (before B&B and AD's) was my only non electric or non cartridge razor. But sorry Slim I think the Mergress shaves smoother and I can get BBS on a lower setting with less passes.

I think you will find that with not only this forum, but the other one as well, most of the guys here really seem to like all of the vintage gillettes. I will agree that they are very nostalgic and neat to shave with from time to time, but overall, THE MERKUR razors and particularly the PROGRESS is by far a superior shaving machine!
It has been a while since I have posted, but can anyone tell me how I can purchase the "MERGRESS" versions??? I am a real fan of the Progress razor and over any of the Merkur models. I have tried the HD ( that again most people seem to love ) and I cannot see or understand all the love. Frankly, it is the worst of the Merkur line for me, but again and as often it is said, "YMMV"

Either way, I highly recommend the Progress razor to anyone interested in a smooth shaver!

I seem to have the exact opposite effect - The progress seems to really tear my face up while the gillette adjustables do a great job (although seem to require extra touch-ups even on the highest settings). Just the way the thing is shaped I have trouble tracking on my neck and chin and under my nose. I'm slowly building my way to 50 posts and if I haven't gotten good results with the progress by then I'm just gonna sell it on the BST forum. However I love my open comb barber pole HD, and thats still my fave. Truly YMMV :biggrin:

Mike, you're not alone. Its very much a YMMV thing. There are a bunch of people here that get no lovin' from Gillette adjustables no matter what blade they try due to the size / shape of the head.

Mike, you're not alone. Its very much a YMMV thing. There are a bunch of people here that get no lovin' from Gillette adjustables no matter what blade they try due to the size / shape of the head.

I used the SS for the first time this morning. Wow! That's more like it. It's still not the Progress (which has replaced the 38C as my go-to razor), but it's better for me than the adjustable.

Can't wait for my Weishi to show up :)

I seem to have the exact opposite effect - The progress seems to really tear my face up while the gillette adjustables do a great job (although seem to require extra touch-ups even on the highest settings). Just the way the thing is shaped I have trouble tracking on my neck and chin and under my nose. I'm slowly building my way to 50 posts and if I haven't gotten good results with the progress by then I'm just gonna sell it on the BST forum. However I love my open comb barber pole HD, and thats still my fave. Truly YMMV :biggrin:

even at the HIGHEST SETTINGS...:eek: YIKES

I'm loving my Progress, especially now that I've found Personnas in the UK. I'm having the best shaves ever with it (set on 2-2.5), much better than my '74 Superspeed or my recently acquired Tech.

Top Bottom