What's new

Problem with soap

Hi all,
I used an electric razor before starting wet shaving a few months ago. After a month of using a Schick quattro with cheap gel, I decided to get one of Taylor's Lavender soaps and a Vulfix brush (one of the cheaper best badger ones).
The technique I used (and still use):
1. Put brush into warm water for a few minutes.
2. Swirl it around the top of the soap between 10 and 20 times
3. Create later directly on my face.
4. Shave

I later got some Prosaro cream and (last week) a Merkur HD with the blade sampler pack and Taylor Avocado cream. With the creams (with both the Merkur and Quattro) I have no problems with skipping. With the soap I keep having issues (unless I go over the soap about 16-20 times) with the razor skipping. It seems to work ok where I first start lathering it, but on the other side of my face, it just doesn't work well.
I'm currently using feathers with the merkur. The other problem I have (that doesn't help) is that I need several against the grain passes to get any hair off. Going with the grain barely does anything, thus I need the razor to slide really well.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to fix the problem with the soap, or should I just give up?

Thanks,
David

I soak both the brush and the soap in hot water. I then lather mostly in my (small) mug, generating a very rich, thick lather. Going from soap to bowl or soap to face without generating a lather first hasn't worked well for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
+1

Work that soap in a mug until you get the proper consistency, then apply to your mug.

As Jimmy V. said "Don't ever give up." Try letting the soap soak in hot water as you are getting your stuff ready. This will help the brush to pick up more soap when swirling. Then move to a bowl or mug to build the lather. Keep reading and keep experimenting. It will get better.

Welcome to B&B David...

Welcome David!

If you can get good lather from the cream, then you probably are not getting enough soap into the brush, 16-20-25 swirls, no matter just get enough soap loaded into the brush then USE A BOWL to make your lather. You cannot control the water soap ratio on your face as easily. Try this link also wet the soap while you are soaking your brush.

Skipping could be the lather issue but I am guessing that your blade angle is to shallow- drop your hand just a hair and see if you can hear the beard being cut more consistantly.Keep posting-

I too had a problem with skipping when using soap. I noticed the lather I was getting wasn't very slick at all. Using more soap gave me a thicker, richer, much slicker lather that cleared up my skipping. Keep at it.

Andrew

I am the opposite, skipping is a problem with creams for me, I find soap very slick. Best advice I read was use lots of soap and use a lather bowl to get used how much water the soap lather will contain (the water does alot of the work).

Good Luck

The other problem I have (that doesn't help) is that I need several against the grain passes to get any hair off. Going with the grain barely does anything, thus I need the razor to slide really well.

With 30+ years of shaving I can say for myself that shaving with the grain is a waste of time. I go against the grain from the start which means less passes to irritate my face...this always works well for me.

I'm a newbie and I've been struggling with a similar problem, but things are gradually improving. I'd suggest getting lots of soap on the brush... probably more than you think you need.

My first priority is to get a really good, thick lather. Then, if the lather is not slick enough, I'll start adding tiny amounts of water until it's right.

Also, your face should be very wet and moisturized when you apply the lather, and I've found it important to remember that the water on your skin may dilute the lather. So, again, err on the side of lather that is a bit thick.

There was a great instructional thread about a week ago, with lots of advice and pictures. I'll see if I can find it and post a link, but in summary, the advice was, "More soap, more water, more agitation."

Tim

That's an excellent link and tutorial. I wish I had read that before my shave this evening.

This was my first experiment with soap, having received some from Sue at saintcharlesshaving.

I have to say that even though my lather was sub-par, the shave itself still turned out awesome. That soap is slick. Real slick. I was able to go ATG on my face for the first time since switching over to DE shaving.

I can't wait to actually try to do it right.

Thanks, Scotto, for putting that together for us newbies.

Top Bottom