What's new

'prime' day deals

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I spent roughly 3 hours looking through the deals. Nothing exciting. A lot of generic brand names I've never heard of. And already over priced stuff marked down 20%

Big ole meh

There's so much random junk that I've started to wonder if this is just a scheme to lighten their inventory of slower selling items. Granted there are some good discounts to be found, especially if you want some Amazon branded merch.

Nothing I've found except an electronic dog collar that I need to get my youngest labs jumping in check before my wife reaches the later stages of pregnancy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's more like a going out of business sale. Or Black Friday sales. Which in fact, are not sales at all.

They have the List Price - which is the MSRP - which is always super inflated. Then they have the Amazon Price - Which is what it sells for on Amazon 364 days of the year. Then they have the Amazon Prime Day price - Which is just a few bucks lower than the regular every other day Amazon price.

So now they can say "ABC Product on sale for 50% off on Prime Day!!!!". Which really....is just a 10% reduction from their everyday price but a 50% reduction from the MSRP. And here's another thing to consider, Amazon is almost as influential on pricing as Walmart is. So many other retailers now offer the same prices as Amazon does. You may find the same stuff at a better discount as other retailers try to compete.

So yeah....This stuff isn't super great. It's just a small discount from the normal Amazon price. Surrounded by a bunch of hype.

As someone that spent hours looking at the deals and has placed 49 orders just this year....I'm highly disappointed.

There's actually a good price on Norton 8000/400 stones right now. $73.83 (normally $94.49)
That's even cheaper than Straightrazordesigns.com, which has the best price I've seen in the market i think for but ($78.99). I bought one from those guys and it's a sweet stone, recommended to everyone if you don't already hae one.. this stone is an icon in SR world many people judge other stones just by comparing it against this stone draw, feedback, speed, etc.

excellent opportunity.. if i had the $$ in my pocket right now i would buy it just to have a replacement, or a good gift... but there are many other things in my priority list right now... (yeah.. razors, hones and strops i don't have yet, LOL)

As much as I like the convenience of buying from Amazon, Prime Days never attracted me. I buy what I need when I need it. I let CamelCamelCamel tell me when something I'd "like" to have is priced right. That's been good enough for me.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Bought my SIL a Fire tablet for $30 off. She wanted it and I got a birthday present out of the way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I bought some deals today. But I would have eventually bought them anyway, on sale or not.

I saved quite a bit of money on the following:

Stock pot w/strainers ($70 off)
Amazon.com: Culina 12 Qt. Multi Pot Cooker 4-Piece Set, Heavy Gauge 18/10 Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

Carry on Luggage ($25 off)
Amazon.com | Delsey Luggage Helium Shadow 3.0 19 Inch International Carry-On Expandable Spinner Suiter Trolley, Platinum, One Size | Suitcases

Checked Luggage ($45 off)
Amazon.com | Delsey Luggage Chatelet Hard+ 24 inch 4 Wheel Spinner, Chocolate | Suitcases

The luggage is already heavily discounted on Amazon, so getting more off was what I needed to pull trigger. The stock pot seems like a really good deal though.

I did well on Prime Day. Bought two pairs of shoes, about $48 each, both 35% off sale price. Scored an Xbox One S 1T with four games for $300.

I have been wanting all three items and wouldn't have purchased them if it weren't for the big discounts. My curiosity paid off for usually items on my wishlist are never on sale.

Top Bottom