What's new

How long to thaw a 10.5 pound prime rib?

I was sick on Christmas Day and couldn’t make the rib roast. We’re going to have it in a week or so. How long to thaw a 10.5 pound prime rib?

I think 2 days at room temperature would work.

I'd stick in the fridge for a few days. Give it 4 days. If it thaws sooner, it'll be fine in the fridge.

Counter thaw can lead to bacteria. I would be worried about raw meat on the outside, exposed to air and ice cold in the middle for that many hours.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
JKaboom:
I agree w/ Jayson in time to thaw...prime rib is a naturally tender cut & I’d roast it at 350° to develop a 'decedent' & flavorful crust. :thumbsup:

BTW...about 15-20 minutes per pound is kind of the standard when roasting meats, but you should really be cooking to internal temperature rather than to time. ⏲️

A meat thermometer will be your best & only friend and I’d roast it for 2hrs and then probe it in the center of the prime rib to get a baseline temp every 30 min or so.

I'd say that if you want a medium roast (like the Mrs. and I do), pull it out at around 135°. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing and it should be a perfect 145° masterpiece (as a suggestion...w/ Aus Jus and/or Horseradish Sauce plus Oven
Roasted Onions).
1705292927644.jpeg

proxy.php
"Always do (Prime Rib) right; this way it will gratify some people [and—well], astonish the rest". Mark Twain

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
JKaboom:
I agree w/ Jayson in time to thaw...prime rib is a naturally tender cut & I’d roast it at 350° to develop a 'decedent' & flavorful crust. :thumbsup:

BTW...about 15-20 minutes per pound is kind of the standard when roasting meats, but you should really be cooking to internal temperature rather than to time. ⏲️

A meat thermometer will be your best & only friend and I’d roast it for 2hrs and then probe it in the center of the prime rib to get a baseline temp every 30 min or so.

I'd say that if you want a medium roast (like the Mrs. and I do), pull it out at around 135°. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing and it should be a perfect 145° masterpiece (as a suggestion...w/ Aus Jus and/or Horseradish Sauce plus Oven
Roasted Onions). View attachment 1780154

proxy.php
"Always do (Prime Rib) right; this way it will gratify some people [and—well], astonish the rest". Mark Twain
JKaboom:
Opps...forgot to add;

Cook your prime rib w/ or w/o the bones...without the meat (fat side up), touching the pan (great if you have a pan rack), but you can also use a Mirepoix in the bottom of your roasting pan (which is a mixture of raw chopped onions, carrots, and celery...2-1-1 ratio...to prevent 'sticking' and is awesome for making Au Jus. :thumbsup:

attachment.php
“Seven days without Prime Rib makes one weak”. CBJ

So we thawed the roast for 4 days in the refrigerator and it was spoiled. The core temperature of the roast was 29 degrees. It was supposed to have been for Easter today. I ended up getting a couple marinated tri tips at Costco and they were pretty good, just not as good as prime rib

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
So we thawed the roast for 4 days in the refrigerator and it was spoiled. The core temperature of the roast was 29 degrees. It was supposed to have been for Easter today. I ended up getting a couple marinated tri tips at Costco and they were pretty good, just not as good as prime rib
JKaboom:
OMG...what a disaster...(from frozen to thawed state).
proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
@JKaboom Man that sucks. High expectations only to be let down like that. It really doesn't matter not how it went off, it changes nothing. The result is the same.
Glad you saved the day with a fill in meal.

JKaboom:
OMG...what a disaster...(from frozen to thawed state).
proxy.php

Yeah, that seems a bit out of the norm. I'm picking if it was spoiled after just days in the fridge to thaw, then it was already spoiled when it was frozen down.
I've just wet aged a few whole rumps in my fridge at home for four weeks with no ill effect.
Commercially chilled vacuum-packed beef held at 29 F / -1.6C with last for a few months easy with good seal on the bag and kept at that temp. Lamb is not so robust, so has a shorter shelf life..
I have a couple of whole Ribe Eye Rolls aging in my fridge right now. My domestic fridge I'll aged them for around 4 weeks. If held in a commercial chiller I've seen 120-day shelf life. A home fridge does not hold it as cold, so would never hold anywhere near that length of time.

A better, faster and safer way to defrost something like that is in the kitchen sink. Put it in a large pot, still in the packaging and turn on the cold water. When the pot's full, turn the water down, but not off. That way you're constantly adding small amounts of water that are warmer than the food. Believe it or not, many tests have shown that this is actually faster than just leaving it sitting in room temperature water with occasional changes.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That's a bummer to hear. No doubt, it was on the verge of spoiling when you froze it. If I'm going to freeze any type of meat, I try to do so within a day or two after purchasing it. Obviously, you didn't plan on getting sick, so not immediately freezing it was circumstantial.

@JKaboom Man that sucks. High expectations only to be let down like that. It really doesn't matter not how it went off, it changes nothing. The result is the same.
Glad you saved the day with a fill in meal.

Yeah, that seems a bit out of the norm. I'm picking if it was spoiled after just days in the fridge to thaw, then it was already spoiled when it was frozen down.
I've just wet aged a few whole rumps in my fridge at home for four weeks with no ill effect.
Commercially chilled vacuum-packed beef held at 29 F / -1.6C with last for a few months easy with good seal on the bag and kept at that temp. Lamb is not so robust, so has a shorter shelf life..
I have a couple of whole Ribe Eye Rolls aging in my fridge right now. My domestic fridge I'll aged them for around 4 weeks. If held in a commercial chiller I've seen 120-day shelf life. A home fridge does not hold it as cold, so would never hold anywhere near that length of time.
Yes I agree and thank you

A better, faster and safer way to defrost something like that is in the kitchen sink. Put it in a large pot, still in the packaging and turn on the cold water. When the pot's full, turn the water down, but not off. That way you're constantly adding small amounts of water that are warmer than the food. Believe it or not, many tests have shown that this is actually faster than just leaving it sitting in room temperature water with occasional changes.
Thats the way the Chinese shop did theirs, only they did it in the carpark under the garden tap

I worked next to their back door, and ate in their front door... mind over matter and a ninja stomach mind block 😷

JKaboom:
As a retired Chef myself (CEC), I feel terrible and partly responsible...can I send you a Brisket for your troubles?

View attachment 1822009"Everything goes better with brisket". CBJ
Wow! That’s a kind offer. No, that’s ok. It just falls into to category of stuff happens. The only thing I can think of is that I had it in the refrigerator too many days prior to freezing. I don’t recall how many days that was

Top Bottom