What's new

pre-shave

Just looking for some basic ideas about what to do for the pre-shave part of my ritual. I really don't have any at the moment. Thanks, Prophoss

You may not need a preshave product if your water is soft. I find commercial preshave products are most helpful in hard water situations.

I also believe shave preparation by letting your lather soak on the face for say 3 to 5 minutes while you put on your pants, shoes, and socks is more beneficial than a preshave product.

Preshave products are controversial, so your question should generate a healthy discussion, if the guys are not compromised by New Year celebrations. :001_smile

I just shower and shave. That's it. The shower soaks my beard sufficiently. Sometimes, I apply my wife's hair conditioner as a pre-shave.

Some guys here have an elaborate ritual and that's OK for them. I am just a KISS shaver.

Shower, washing your face and neck well (I use Nivea sensitive face wash and love it) and I apply a homemade preshave oil to my neck only where my irritation spot is - it keeps my irritation down.

Shower first and use an exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin from your face and neck. I also like to place a hot washcloth over my face and neck when I step out of the shower, I feel this sort of soaking method has worked better for me than a pre-shave oil. From there I can do 2 or 3 passes for a DFS.

Mixing it up is welcomed, you may get a good result without shave oil but a great result with it. Good luck, let us know what works best for you!

I always make sure I wash with warm/hot water while stroking XTG & ATG with my hands. I used shave oils when first starting out (as it came with the Art-of-Shaving kit). Depending on the razor, the oil works well but seemed to quickly clog-up the razor. After my technique improved I've no longer bother with the oil as a few minutes of working in good lather on my face does wonders. I switch off between face and bowl lathering, and feel the need for less pre-shave prep when I face lather. But hey, YMMV. :thumbup1:

FWIW, I shower, shampoo my beard, apply hair conditioner, leave my face wet, get out of shower, apply Proraso pre-shave, then lather up and shave. I have found that eliminating any of the steps produces a less than optimal result.

Someone posted a video on another thread that showed an old barber doing a pre-shave by applying the shave soap, massaging it in then applying a hot towel. So...

I've migrated a tad from using Noxzema and hot moist towel to just washing my face with my regular soap (Tom's of Maine Sensitive, Natural Beauty Bar Soap with Soothing Chamomile), leaving its foam on face for a minute or so, then a hot moist towel. Seems to work well...will continue to evaluate.

I suppose I could use the shave soap like the barber did, but I always wash my face with the Tom's anyway (BTW, it has good ingredients, is gentle to the skin and has no fragrance), so it's just easier -- one less step/substance to apply to my face.

Last edited:
I use Shave Secret (you can get it at Walmart) as a pre-shave oil.
Only 5 drops massaged into my problem areas.
I think it helps and I like the smell, that's why I use it.

Thanks y'all. Sounds like general consensus is to do what I already do. Shower then shave. I really have no extra at the moment to spend on much of anything extra so that works for me. I did however notice that a lot folks use good sensitive skin soap will have to look into that.
Here is a rabbit to chase.... I have problems with acne especially during summer so I have to be careful what i use on my face to keep that in check.

I started using a preshave, actually a liquid shaving soap, then added a good traditional soap lather and noticed I got smoother shave especially on the neck where I could previusly feel stubble.

Keep it simple. A hot shower then shave. If there's a delay after you get out of the shower then splash some warm water on your face, maybe suds it up with some Dove soap, then rinse. Apply lather and shave. Splash on some aftershave when you're finished :)

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have noticed a significant difference in the quality of my shave by using a pre shave. Right now I am using Aubrey Mens Stock shave cream as a pre shave. I just rub it on and wait a minute. Then I apply my shave soap or cream. As a fringe benefit my blades are lasting longer. I am up to 6 shaves with a Feather blade in my Razorock Stealth Slant and still feel no pulling or tugging.
I will soon by trying 3P pre shave cream when I run out of the Aubrey.

I sometimes shower at night rather than the morning. For the mornings without a shower I splash warm water on my face and then rub on Noxzema. I leave it on as I let my brush soak for a few minutes and then lather up. As an experiment you might see if Noxzema is a good soap for your acne. That way you'd get a two-for-one. Another relatively inexpensive soap you could try is Whole Foods's 365 Vitamin E glycerin soap. It's good for your skin and provides a slick layer on your face. It costs about $2.00 a bar and will last awhile as long as you don't keep it in the hot shower all the time.

Since I have a real sensitive skin, prone to the skin irrational/razor bumps, acne, and razor burn. So, I shower, put on Proraso pre-shaving cream to leave it tingle on my skin for a few minutes while I make bowl lather. Lather my face once, and wiped it off. lather again and the shaving begins. It works wonderful for me. YMMV as usual.

Try Noxzema as pre/mid shave. It works. However, the smell is kind of strong.

My father did this. If they made an unscented version of Noxzema I'd be all over it like a cheap suit. But the smell is both powerful and (to me) unpleasant, and kills any scent you might like to enjoy from your soap or cream.

Top Bottom