What's new

Pré de Provence No. 63 shaving soap

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I'm curious as to how people who use this soap keep it between shaves, open or covered. I like another hard soap that I just leave in a mug in the open air and never cover, which works fine. So since the Pré de Provence No. 63 is a hard soap, is it better to cover after drying, or just leave it out uncovered.
Thanks,

I'm weird.

I actually remove the puck from the tin. place on dry wash cloth. load from puck. when finished.....swipe off any remaining goodies with my finger and put into scuttle.

pat dry. place back in tin. replace lid.

20200120_054421.jpg

its quad milled and I've treated it badly. very tuff and long lasting.

purchased mine Oct 5th.

camo

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Interesting, I was under the impression that triple milled type hard soaps were meant to be left out in the open air, but unsure about this specific hard soap.

I cover it after it dries off. But hard soaps stay out all the time in the shower and aren't negatively affected so I think either way would be okay.

Covered or uncovered can work. What you don't want to do is cover it while it is still wet. Leave it out to dry for a few hours at least before covering it.

Camo is not really being weird. :letterk1:

I like to load my soap from a larger bowl. So, I usually remove the soap from its tin and put it in the loading bowl. I might use it a few days, then put it back in the tin so I can use something else.

My puck is new so my feedback with this soap is not very much. But I treat it like DR Harris, MWF, Tabac, and put the lid on the container after I have finished loading the brush and making sure I have enough soap loaded onto my brush/face that will allow for a face lather to be built. I put the soap away before I begin the shave, not because I am a neat freak but to find any task (however small) to increase the time between lathering and beginning the shave. I load with a damp brush to avoid proto-lather forming on the puck, though that still happens sometimes. So the puck is never completely dry but there is minimal water left behind. It still looks and smells normal when I remove the lid.

I have the regular pre de provence soap, and I cheese grated and packed it into this to refill it. Always put the lid on when done, and never even considered how wet or dry it was. Kinda feel like wet is fine because it keeps it a little softer so I can load the brush easier.

Never had any issues.

1580573657503.jpeg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I rinse mine under running water, turn it upside down to drain any remaining water then screw the lid back on. Leaving that bit of water behind will soften the soap quite a bit in the first month or so of use and it becomes much easier to load.

You might also notice, on the side of the tin there will be what I assume to be, an expiry or best before date.

IMG_3020.JPG

Great tips!
How do you guys like the soap?
I'm working through the Haslinger line of soaps in 2020; but I'm about to 3017 some Ogallala Bay Rum and might replace it with PdP 63.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Great tips!
How do you guys like the soap?
I'm working through the Haslinger line of soaps in 2020; but I'm about to 3017 some Ogallala Bay Rum and might replace it with PdP 63.

I love it. Great scent, great performance and lasts a long time. PdP is in my top 3 with Wickham 1912 and CRS cream.

Top Bottom