What's new

Praise the Lord

The Lord L5 was the first DE razor that I purchased back in February 2010, and I shaved with that thing for many months before I splurged on a Gillette Slim. My L5 had a black plastic comb, and it shaved very well when matched with a nice blade. I may have to dig around and pull that thing back out if I can find where I tucked it.

I have a rotation of 12 razors. Among them are 3 razors from Lord.

My favorite Lord is the L5, a three-piece Tech clone. It’s lightweight stamped metal construction replicates the performance of the iconic Gillette masterpiece, with a lightweight aluminum handle that lends it a top-heavy balance that I prefer. I can easily achieve a BBS w a two pass shave. It outshaves every DE in my den. It’s commonly available on Amazon for $7.

I also use an L6, Lord’s take on the Merkur design. The cast head and aluminum handle impart an even more top heavy balance than the L5, which I really like. It gives me an excellent BBS shave with two passes. About $8 on the web.

Lastly, I use the Lord Racer, a two-piece metal/plastic hybrid. It’s sometimes known as the Lord 325. Very lightweight but moderately aggressive, it works very well and provides an easy BBS with two passes. I’ve seen it for less than $5 on the web.

Not surprisingly, these razors pair well with Lord blades. I typically use the Lord Platinum and Rainbow Stainless blades with these razors.

I can heartily recommend these fine shaving tools. They provide excellent results at little expense, making wet shaving accessible to all.
Hi Quaznoid, I just received delivery of a Lord L6 from Amazon. It is definitely more aggressive than my mild King C. Gillette with a similar Merkur head architecture. Best guess it that it will be similar to my moderately aggressive Weishi Long Handle (guessing they increased aggressiveness over the years as I recall your Weishi is too mild to shave well).

Any advice on the best way to shave with it? Will have to apply some pressure since this is a very light razor unlike my King C. Gillette. Plan to use it for my next shave in a day or so. Goal is to use it as a travel razor. If I can dial in how to shave well with it the L6 is definitely worth its less than $7 price.

Hi Quaznoid, I just received delivery of a Lord L6 from Amazon. It is definitely more aggressive than my mild King C. Gillette with a similar Merkur head architecture. Best guess it that it will be similar to my moderately aggressive Weishi Long Handle (guessing they increased aggressiveness over the years as I recall your Weishi is too mild to shave well).

Any advice on the best way to shave with it? Will have to apply some pressure since this is a very light razor unlike my King C. Gillette. Plan to use it for my next shave in a day or so. Goal is to use it as a travel razor. If I can dial in how to shave well with it the L6 is definitely worth its less than $7 price.
The L6’s head-heavy design allows it to shave well on the downstroke w little or no pressure. Of course, light pressure will be required to maintain contact XTG and ATG. The Merkur style head is a little more difficult to maintain shaving angle than other designs, but the aluminum handle will provide plenty of audible feedback to help you along. Enjoy it and think about adding the even better L5.

@Quaznoid thank you again for your advice above. Used my new L6 for the first time today with mixed results (link to post below).

Issue may be that since you acquired your L6 razor Lord likely changed the manufacturing specs to take it from mild (negative blade exposure per some 2014 B&B posts) to fairly aggressive to the point where ATG passes are rough. Other B&Bers have also noted the change in aggressiveness. I was expecting a level of aggression in-between my mild King C. Gillette and moderately aggressive Weishi Long Handle and instead received a razor that was far more aggressive than either. Will use the Lord again with a less sharp Derby Extra blade and see if I can adjust technique to better dial it in.

To be honest, when I first tried the L6, I thought it was quite aggressive. As I became more familiar with it, I determined it was on the mild side. Work with it. It might help to use Lord family blades, for obvious reasons.
BTW, the Weishi is extremely mild; virtually any razor is “aggressive” by comparison.

I have two Lords, L5 and one of the newer L6 versions called S 625-1.

The L5 is a very nice Tech copy, and I find it a bit more aggressive than my old British Tech's.

The S 625-1 looks exactly like the classic L6, but it is more aggressive/efficient.
Last week I took out my S 625-1 again and I had forgotten what a nice and smooth shaver this is, loaded with a Lord Silver Star it's a wife approved BBS every time.

I have two Lords, L5 and one of the newer L6 versions called S 625-1.

The L5 is a very nice Tech copy, and I find it a bit more aggressive than my old British Tech's.

The S 625-1 looks exactly like the classic L6, but it is more aggressive/efficient.
Last week I took out my S 625-1 again and I had forgotten what a nice and smooth shaver this is, loaded with a Lord Silver Star it's a wife approved BBS every time.
My L6 is a LP1822L. Amazon also has the S 625-1 and it looks like the only difference is that the former comes with one blade versus a pack of 5 with the latter. Definitely an aggressive razor with significant positive blade exposure. Based on most of the reviews I thought it would be milder.

@Quaznoid suspect Weishi has also increased the aggressiveness of its razors since you acquired yours though to a lesser moderate level of aggressiveness since you acquired yours. My long handle is around 3 years old. My other razor, a King C. Gillette, is extremely mild by comparison to the Weishi yet with some technique adjustments (riding the cap in a few areas of my face) delivers excellent BBS shaves.

I'll try the Lord again with a milder Derby Extra blade and also with the Lord blade that came with it once my current Dorco blade is done. Will also play with the razor angle.

I don’t believe there’s been any change in the L6 or the L5 (the Tech clone, often confused with the Merkur-based L6). The 6 is not an aggressive razor, unless it is compared with the Weishi which is, IMHO, so mild as to be unusable.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion re which razor is which. And Lord’s website hardly clarifies matters. The L6 has a very shiny Zamac head with a scalloped safety bar and a 4” aluminum handle. The L5 is stamped steel, a duller finish, w a plain, straight safety bar exactly like the Gillette Tech. The handle is 3 1/2 inches long. If the razor has a plastic handle, it is neither. The 5 is more aggressive than the 6 but is perfectly manageable. Both are fantastic razors

There seems to be some confusion re which razor is which. And Lord’s website hardly clarifies matters. The L6 has a very shiny Zamac head with a scalloped safety bar and a 4” aluminum handle. The L5 is stamped steel, a duller finish, w a plain, straight safety bar exactly like the Gillette Tech. The handle is 3 1/2 inches long. If the razor has a plastic handle, it is neither. The 5 is more aggressive than the 6 but is perfectly manageable. Both are fantastic razors

+1! ‘…both are fantastic..’ :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom