What's new

PozzSka's Brush Projects

Here is my thread, in which I will be posting my brush restorations/reknottings/fix'em'ups.

I recently won 5 vintage brush handles off the Ebay and I plan on fixing them up and putting fresh new knots in them.

Here are the first two:

A "Barbershop Pure Bristle" and an Ever Ready 100 in cream and black

proxy.php

Both are in very good shape (the knots were in not great shape, I didn't take a pic before I cut them off however).

All I've done so far is cut the knots off. I will be drilling them, polishing them, reknotting them, etc. as I get time (so don't be upset if this thread is updated infrequently).

This is the list of to-do's for these two:

Barbershop - drill out and clean out the hole, sand and stain the handle, paint the lettering, set new knot, and shave. (this will be getting a boar knot to match the "pure bristle" lettering). Looks to be a 22mm knot, I'll probably set the loft around 50mm depending on the hole, knot, feel, etc.

Ever-Ready - drill out and clean the hole, polish, repaint lettering on bottom of brush, set new knot, shave. Appears to be a 20mm knot, will be set with either a silvertip knot or a finest knot, haven't decided, yet.

Won't order knots until they are ready to be set, just in case I change my mind.

Any thoughts, questions, opinions, suggestions, criticisms, guidance is accepted.
Thanks, gentlemen.

The wooden handle will probably get sanded and stained and sanded (high grit) and stained and sanded, repeat. The more i do this the shinier it will get, so it all depend on how i feel when i get around to it.

The Bakelite/plastic is in pretty good condition, and doesn't really need much, so probably just a clean polishing cloth (no abrasive). If it ends up neding something, i'll figure it out then.

I have received the other 3 brushes that I won off of Ebay and will be posting pictures soon.

The firt one that will get reknotted is the old spice (very minty, except for the weak glue) long handled brush that is not pictured, blonde handle, dark blue "neck"). when I unpacked it the knot practically fell out. the handle is in perfect shape, no fixing necessary. just need to get the old glue remnants out, drop a new knot and go. So, i will be ordering a few knots from TGN most likely in the next couple days, whenever I get the time to measure, decide what I want, etc.

any suggestions on what would look and perform best in a long handled brush (I have never used one). I'm also debating putting a boar knot in it just to be more true to the original, but that isn't a deal breaker.

The others are a solid red every-ready, excellent condition, and a slightly blemished colgate perhaps, not sure, came with some colgate vintage soap. It has some cracks and the finish is coming off, so that will be the first one I drill into to remove old glue...if i break it, it won't bother me.

OK, pics to come tomorrow.

Here are two of the other brushes, an ever ready, and a no namer that came with some vintage colgate soap.
proxy.php

and here is the old spice brush with the knot that fell out
proxy.php

proxy.php

The knot looked clean in the last one, but the hairs were falling out of it...a new knot and that will be as good as new.

So that's what it looks like taken apart. I wonder if the other long-handled styles are the same. Out of curiosity, does the collar have a hole all the way through?

Regards.

So that's what it looks like taken apart. I wonder if the other long-handled styles are the same. Out of curiosity, does the collar have a hole all the way through?

Regards.

I'll find out when I get the glue out of the other long handled one.

And, yes, the collar is hollow. I'll be doing some measuring first, just in case I want to trim down the handle to set the loft shorter...still have to decide what knot I want to put there. The original was a boar, but I don't have to do that if I don't want to.

I finally finished restoring these two Ever Ready's...I used both this morning, just to get a test lather in them, they are both awesome...

Red Ever Ready 50R with 20mm TGN Grade A Silvertip (KMF lime)
Black and White Ever Ready 100 with 20mm TGN Extra stuffed Finest (Cella)
Before w/ Omega 49 for scale:
proxy.php

During:
proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

Used the ER 100 in Finest this morning with TOBS Lavender, very nice brush. Felt great.

Also, put the knots in the barbershop and the OS brushes last night. I'm going to test lather with them tonight some time.

I'll get a pic later.

I need to update this thread (I guess that's what I'm doing, huh?).

I finished the OS brush, gave it to my brother (I'll have him snap a photo with his phone)...

I finished the knot on the Barbershop (but liked using it, so I never refinished the handle). Then the other day sanded the handle down, and it just needs restained/sealed. So that's almost done, I'll get a pic.

And, the green and white one pictured earlier, I sanded down completely, there were too many blemishes and I couldn't fix the original finish, so my mother-in-law is going to repaint/decorate it (I have no idea what's in store for that poor brush handle). Let's hope for the best.

Then scored a couple more handles off of the bay. HERE Couple blemishes, but still nice handles, we'll see what I can do with them.

At the very least, I can put some nice knots in them.

how and what do you use to polish them????:001_smile

You know what I ended up using? One of those four sided manicure file things. Where each side is "file" "buff" "polish" and "Shine"? Worked wonderfully to get little dirt spots, water marks, uneven spots, scratches, etc out without making the shape uneven or making "dips" in the shape.

Here is a shot of the brushes I am working on now:

In the back, two Century #4's, one in red, one in maroon. Both have wooden handles. The darker one is in better shape, and I may just seal it with something and leave it to look old. But the other definitely needs sanded and restained. I may restain both just for the practice. Both will get 22mm knots (opening is about 23mm)

In the front is an EverReady nylon (100 or 200 I can't remember) - I have not yet gotten the knot out. These nylon knots do not cooperate. This will take some more time. Didn't measure the opening.

The middle one is a MadeRite #5. It is in great shape, just needs a little polish and a knot. 18mm knot will be placed in this (the opening was just over 19mm)

The last one is a Fuller. Tan body (black on bottom). Very nice looking brush. Was originally boar, but will most likely get a badger knot. 20mm knot (21mm opening).

The knots have been removed from all but the nylon brush. The Made Rite and Fuller are ready to get a knot, but the two centuries need sanded, polished, and some old glue remnants removed.

Any suggestions on knots? I'm thinking at least one knot from WhippedDog, as I have never used one, and would like to try. Most likely I'll order the rest from TGN. I've used Silvertip, Silvertip Grade A, Finest Fan, and Finest Extra Stuffed. And, I like them all. What is the word on Best and Super from TGN?

I have the TGN Best Badger 22 mm short lofted knot. You can see my thoughts on it in my Ever-Ready 150B restore under way thread. I love it! The tips are soft, but the density is great enough that the knot doesn't feel too sloppy. I really notice the difference when I go to my EJ Medium Best brush which seems very soft to me now. I don't get any prickly sensation when face lathering. I wonder how it compares to the silvertips...

Nice work Pozzska.

I especially like how the Black and White Ever Ready 100 looks like it has extra density. I bet it lathers like a dream.

It does lather well. It has a 20mm Extra stuffed finest knot set at about 46mm loft. Very firm feel, but soft tips and good heft (I filled the handle with silicone sealant/adhesive, added good weight to the handle).

my brother recently told me he has a lathe in his barn he isnt going to use, and give to me. we'll see how that goes...

As I mentioned above, my brother is giving me a lathe he found in the basement of his house when he bought the place.

I have a few questions:
- What is the best way to mount this thing? Table? Work bench?
- What kind of tools should I get to make things like brush handles or other small things?
- Where do I get tools? Waxes? Sealants? etc. for wood turning.

Here's another completed resto - Century #4 w/ WhippedDog Silvertip 22mm set at about 50-51mm loft. I didn't have to re-do the whole handle, thankfully, but I did have to seal a couple chips in the finish with CA (superglue), one on the base of the handle, one above the waist in the handle.

This may be for sale soon. But, I used it once so I could develop an opinion. I like this silvertip better than TGN's standard silvertip, and better backbone that the Grade A TGN, slightly more golden tips than the standard, but not as white as the GradeA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom