What's new

Postage Stamps

Anyone else have this problem?:

I find myself writing a fair number of professional-related handwritten notes, and I feel like if I am going to go to the trouble and use good stationary, I might as well put an interesting (or at least not run of the mill) stamp on it, and certainly not something from the postage meter. In a perfect world, I suppose, the stamp would be something that referenced something I knew the receiver liked. I suppose, also, it would be nice if the stamp had some reference to something I like, or at least did not reference something potentially dicey.

Valentine's Day stamps are out.

However, even though there are lots of different stamps out there, finding ones I want to consistently use, seems hard, and individual stamps often seem loaded with pitfalls if I think about them very hard. There is a nice major league baseball series out there right now of a bunch of old times. Seems pretty good right. What's not to like about baseball, particularly heroes from the past? And masculine enough from my perspective without seeming too macho for virtually any recipient. But, maybe a big Red Sox fan would wonder at a Joe Dimaggio stamp. Or a Yankees fan at a Ted Williams stamp. And how do I know what team someone supports or where they are originally from?

The Medal of Honor stamps look nice and are reverent. But referencing war and often death in battle seems a little heavy for congratulating someone on the birth of their first son.

The Battle of Lake Erie from the War of 1812 seems kind of a cool historical reference, but I do not know what the politics of that battle might be. For all I know the person I am writing might have some recent British heritage. Any reference to war seems out. No way I would send a civil war stamp to anyone.

The Made in America: Building a Nation stamps seem very cool. Patriotic, celebration of the working man/woman, etc. Some great photographs. On the other hand, I do not think I want to send a photo of a woman working in what appears to be a sewing factory to a woman who has just been made CEO. And I am not sure I want to be sending photos of guys with shirts off to anyone. I do not want anyone to think I am sending any subtle messages. (One of the stamps has a photo of a guy being hoisted into the air by a crane, that seems to me likely intentionally shall we say suggestive. Pretty funny photo, when seen through my arguably perverse eyes.)

The modern art set is great, except I do not know who I would send the Man Ray one, too.

I find the Miles Davis stamp perfect for nearly anything. But I am not sending the Edith Piaf stamp it comes with to anyone--no dis whatever to a singer that, in fact, I find very affecting.

I am not sending modern or other dance stamps to anyone. No flower stamps, either. I am not sending any March on Washington or Emancipation Proclamation stamps to anyone, etc., although I support/supported both, obviously. No cartoon stamps. Muscle car and go green stamps are probably two sides of the same problem. (Maybe if I could get all 1964 GTO stamps, I would use them.) No state stamps. How can I be sure that the person's family's traditional undergrad school is not a rival of Kansas or something similar? 20th century poets seems a little too refined for my personality, and what ambiguous thing I am saying in sending someone a picture of Sylvia Path, Wallace Stevens, or Denise Levertov. At least Ezra Pound is not on there.

Hollywood Directors is pretty cool and I like movies. But Hollywood is not popular politically among some, and some of those guys lived kind of "hard."

Heart Health could hit particularly home in a way I might not be aware of, but is getting there.

Bonsai is neutral, but does not have much to do with me.

So I am down to lighthouses and breast cancer at this point! (Breast cancer stamps seem common and my wife did have breast cancer, so I am safe there.)

I am kind of kidding around, but it is something I think about and am a little frustrated with. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Get a bunch of the upside down Jenny remakes. They're $2 each, but interesting and unlikely to offend anyone.

Edit.. that's "inverted" jenny

Last edited:
I always found the queens head works well, but then you guys don't have a queen.
Is there a USA equivalent? Perhaps Obama's head?

Actually scrap that - it might be as controversial as the others you've ruled out.

Pen stamps are sweet
$fountain_pen_postage_stamps-r4185e6c849314b4bb1094fe7d5c85f47_xjs8n_8byvr_512.jpg

I always found the queens head works well, but then you guys don't have a queen.
Is there a USA equivalent? Perhaps Obama's head?

In the US, to be on a stamp, you have to be dead a a number of years :) (forgot the exact number).

There are 2 types of stamps: Definitive and Commerative. Commemorative are the ones Post Office issues for a particular year only. Definitive are the ones issued regularly. For the US, currently it is the flag stamp, and may be more.

If you want a touch of "class", use the older "1-color" stamps, but with the cost of mail these days, you may need to cover half the envelope with them.

Most of my stamps have baby animals of canadian wildlife

It was what the post office decided was perfect for me whenbI asked for 20 international stamps lol... i have sent some special ones, and gotten some really cool ones that are now glued on the inside cover or my midori notebook

Most of my stamps have baby animals of canadian wildlife

It was what the post office decided was perfect for me whenbI asked for 20 international stamps lol... i have sent some special ones, and gotten some really cool ones that are now glued on the inside cover or my midori notebook

Polar bears puffins and narwhale?

Get a bunch of the upside down Jenny remakes. They're $2 each, but interesting and unlikely to offend anyone.

Edit.. that's "inverted" jenny

At $2 a piece they are probably out. Even if I were willing to pay that, and I might be, the recipient might think I had lost my mind or did not know how much it cost to send a first class letter! <g>

But other than that, that would be an example of a perfect stamp for my purposes. Hats off to whoever at the post office proposed putting out that stamp and everyone who approved it. Actually, I think they know what they have there and that is why they are charging $2 a piece for them.

I had not thought about printing my own. Sets of fountain pens would be great. Classic cars, other than muscle cars, would be great. National parks maybe. Ansel Adams. More modern art. Public buildings. Founding fathers. Boats. There was actually an excellent set on sort of working ships. Sailing ships seem to fit the bill. How about reissuing a bunch of old stamps in new denominations?

Maybe this is just a random period of time where the selection of stamps is just not that great, but it seems like it has been this way for quite a while.

The inverted jennys are just too cool though!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I use the battle of Lake Erie. I like to change it up tho. I buy them for me. Not for who I'm sending them to. Also to match the envelope. I have envelopes with a brown color scheme so the Battle stamps match well. You could also buy the 33 cent post card stamp and the 20 cent George stamp and use both. George Washington & an apple.

I really like the idea of a combo of the George and the apple stamp. The apple stamps seem particularly nice.

I also like the idea of matching stamps to envelopes.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I really like the idea of a combo of the George and the apple stamp. The apple stamps seem particularly nice.

I also like the idea of matching stamps to envelopes.
you'd also donate 4 cents to the usps by using both. I imagine they wouldn't mind though.
There is something very distinguished about an envelope with George Washington on it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

Nothing like a stamp that tells your reigning monarch ... "dang, you got OOOOOOOLLLDD, Vicky!!"

Of course, you then turn around and suck up pointing out how big an Empire she has ...

proxy.php

and of course, you can always go for historical inaccuracy ... Jacques Cartier discovering Canada by pointing to the right, when everyone knows Canada would have been to the left as he sailed there from France.

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Did you find anything to use Doc?

They put Mike Meyers on a stamp. How bout this one?

$canada-stamp-mike-myers.jpg

I picked up these from the USPS Store. They're usually for bulk business use, but I find them attractive and relatively benign.

The USPS online store will sell you 20, 25, or a roll of 10,000 if you're so inclined. :001_rolle

$776504-01-main-278x367.jpg

Top Bottom