What's new

Post your first shave here!

I see lots of "my first shave" threads and thought we might make a thread similar to the "Newbies, show off your gear" thread, since with my (admittedly-imperfect) search I didn't find that we already had one like this. I wanted to yap on about my first, but obviously wasn't going to do it somewhere like Facebook or Livejournal where no one would understand... but didn't want to make an entirely new thread about it, either. So for those like me, perhaps an ongoing thread for "this is what mine was like!!" excitement, and also a bit of a compilation of first experiences for other new folks to know what to expect.

I think mine went pretty well. I have the EJ DE89L, and decided to go with the Personna Crystals and the Parker Sandalwood Sheabutter soap for my first time. I do not envy you guys having to shave your faces-- at least with my legs I could get into all sorts of funky contortions to see what I was doing, rather than dragging a stupid-sharp piece of metal over my throat blind! I may've looked funny with my shin practically under my chin so I could closely see razor angle, but the cat didn't laugh and I felt confident about knowing exactly what was going on, which I thought quite helpful.

I'm also grateful legs are more forgiving than faces. I noticed, by the time I got to my second leg, that I was indeed applying a bit of pressure but it didn't have any adverse effect.

Lathering my soap was not too bad. Didn't initially get much volume, until I accidentally got a bunch of water in my bowl*, dumped it out, scrubbed up some more lather... oh, hey! Still need more practice, but I'll get the hang of it.

*My WalMart-salsa-bowl lather bowl floats in the tub as I shave. If I lean my brush in it too far to one side, it tilts too much and water comes in.

Scraped a small gouge out of one shin on about my third stroke... felt it when it happened and it did sting a bit as I literally did almost scrape the skin off rather than nicking it, but oh well. A couple other small nicks that I only noticed when I saw the blood. Wasn't a super-close shave-- no better than my cartridge-- but I'll learn. :)

I got REALLY brave and even did my armpits-- nerve-wracking, but did a pretty good job without mishap!

Second shave is tonight! Sucks that I only shave once a week as it'll take me longer to get to try out all my new stuff, and to run out of it so I can get more new stuff to try (mwa ha ha; I'd have a soap/cream AD if I let myself), but oh well.

Can't wait to see how everyone else's first time went!

Here's a pic of what I WAS using (left) and what I'm using now (right). Improvement, yeah? Yeah, above the one disposable cartridge razor is one with the handle broken off. Well, I dropped it. The canned goo was actually from my mom-- can't remember if she bought and never used, or whatever; anyway, it was like a mom-PIF. Usually I'd use just conditioner or some sort of soap and never really bought "shaving cream." Don't cringe, guys-- remember, legs are more forgiving! I actually did fine with this setup. It's just not as cool or shiny/fluffy/nice-smelling. :) (Not sure what to do with the rest of the canned goo, now...)

$img_4192.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was a Merkur 180 with a feather blade, a VDH brush, Col. Conk's Bay Rum, and I burned the hell outta myself lol. The next shave was a straight, as I had lost my mind, but it taught me to slow down. I haven't looked back since. Good call on the new thread, if I've seen one like it I. Can't remember it.

Nice post idea, Katia. Congrats on a successful 1st shave. I don't remember all of the details of mine, but I used a Merkur 23c/180 with a Derby blade, a VDH badger brush and VDH luxury soap. I liked the scent of the soap, but my beginner lather was pretty terrible. Luckily, the shave went well anyway. I've since learned that the Derby isn't the sharpest, so it wasn't the closest shave, but definitely acceptable. I was a bit nervous, but found quickly that using a DE is nothing to fear if you just have some respect for the razor. Since that first shave, I still consider the 180 to be a nice razor and one I regularly use, but all of the other products aren't getting as much use.

I had my second shave today. Everything went very well. My gear is a Merkur 33C loaded with a Derby blade. I'm using MWF soap and a Vilfux 1000A pure badger brush. (I think I got all those terms right.) Thanks to YouTube videos by "mantic" I was able to get a pretty good lather from the MWF soap right off the bat. (Then, again, since I'm not really sure what a great lather is, I suppose I'm happily ignorant.) Yet, I've managed to keep from cutting myself. So I consider myself outrageously successful so far.

Somewhere on one of the welcome pages, I read some great advice: stick with the same equipment for at least a month. Learn to use what you have. Coming from a music learning background, I know that that is wise and comforting to hear.

I believe my first shave was in the summer of 1964 right after receiving a Gillette flare tip for my birthday.

I did not take any pics as I did not realize I would become so involved on B&B at that time.

I will refrain from asking for pics of your actual shave results :blush:

BUT....

You know what they say here on B&B

$this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Congratulations on your first shave.
Mine was in 2011 October with an EJ89, Derby blades, Semogue 730, Thayers, Taylor of Bonds, alum and unrefined shea butter.
Good luck with your next shaves.

I got to wondering, how many people here have shaved DE since the very first time they shaved. I was born in 64, and I remember seeing my dad shave with a DE razor, but my very first shave was typical - done with a cartridge razor.

But how many folks on the B&B have started with and stayed with DE razors since the beginning ....?

Mine was a Shea Moisture brush, VDH Select soap, my grandfather's Fatboy set low, and a Shark SC blade. No AS. Nothing too fancy, but what a shave!

I got to wondering, how many people here have shaved DE since the very first time they shaved. I was born in 64, and I remember seeing my dad shave with a DE razor, but my very first shave was typical - done with a cartridge razor.

But how many folks on the B&B have started with and stayed with DE razors since the beginning ....?

My first was with a cartridge but thanks to both my brother and my grandfather, I was quickly pushed into straight razors. That lasted until I joined the military and due to time, I stayed on cartridge razors until very recently.

I can't remember my first ever shave, (around 8-9 years ago i think) but SWMBO said i shaved like a maniac with a mac 3 when she seen me doing it, i can't even say how i done it, will put me to shame :(

First de shave was with the black wilkinson sword razor and a wilkinson blade, was a nice experience.

I just finished my first useful DE shave. It was my third shave, but the first time I won't need to touch up with a Fusion before work (I only shave every other day). I'm using a Merkur 180 w/ Derby blade, Conk's bay rum soap, and Tweezerman brush. I did a two pass, one with the grain and one across the grain. It feels great, and I only cut myself once :badger:

Last edited:
I just finished my first useful DE shave. It was my third shave, but the first time I won't need to touch up with a Fusion before work (I only shave every other day). I'm using a Merkur 180 w/ Derby blade, Conk's bay rum soap, and Tweezerman brush. I did a two pass, one with the grain and one across the grain. It feels great, and I only cut myself once :badger:

That is almost exactly my first shave lol. I didn't get my tweezerman in till... about my third DE shave. Great minds think alike I suppose!

Just had my first DE shave Fri night. Had about 2.5 days growth. 48-50 Gillette Super Speed, Feather blade, Godrej menthol mist shave cream. Uneventful. I thought I would be a bloody mess but not a nick. Three pass w/x/a grain. No brush yet so I tried lathering with hands. More of a lotion consistency but it was still a nice slick shave. Of course I am comparing to my usual Barbasol Beard Buster. It didn't take nearly as long as I expected and I would classify the shave as DFS with just a few small spots I could have touched up to be BBS. Again, comparing to my usual shave with Gillette Sensor Excel and Barbasol combo. Will give it another test drive tomorrow morning.

I have been missing out on that wonderful menthol for the past 20 or so years of shaving!! Man that was some kind of cool. A fellow could get used to that.

My first shave was in 1973 and it was with a Gillette black handled adjustable DE. I don't remember what brand of brush or soap, but I do remember thinking that "9" was how a man would shave, so I set it on "9". More than a little blood was spilled that day. I hated that razor then - wish I had it now.

I believe my first shave was in the summer of 1964 right after receiving a Gillette flare tip for my birthday.

I did not take any pics as I did not realize I would become so involved on B&B at that time.

I will refrain from asking for pics of your actual shave results :blush:

BUT....

You know what they say here on B&B

View attachment 312595

LOL. I would love to preserve the illusion that that would be exciting, but you'd really just be treated to my collection of bruises... (between dance and klutziness, I tend to be colorful. Now, back when I was figure skating, those might've been bruises impressive enough to show off...)

(And if you don't believe me on the klutziness... and if the fact that I can't even explain the origin of most of my bruises doesn't convince you-- my second shave went pretty well except for an impressive nick on my inner ankle bone. Just today I've managed to kick the exact spot with my other foot at least three or four times. OW.)

Top Bottom