What's new

Post Shave Routine - I'm Confused

For me it's rinse last of soap with water (warm/room temp), then apply witch hazel to my wet face. I dont dry face at any point either. Maybe moisturizer/balm afterwards but not right away.

Everyone's skin is different. My skin can get irritated by too many products, less is more for me.

As you can see, there is no right way.

I do the following after my shave:
Cold water rinse
Alum (only if it was a rough shave, so I don't use alum much)
Witch hazel
Moisturizer (only if I'm using MdC soap, because that dries my skin)
Aftershave splash

I apply the aftershave after the moisturizer because I like the scent to be the last item I apply.

Warm water rinse, cold water rinse, pat dry with a towel, then an aftershave splash (in the summer) or a balm (in the winter). Sometimes in the winter I'll use a splash and then put on a balm 30 minutes later.

As you can see, there is no right way.

I do the following after my shave:
Cold water rinse
Alum (only if it was a rough shave, so I don't use alum much)
Witch hazel
Moisturizer (only if I'm using MdC soap, because that dries my skin)
Aftershave splash

I apply the aftershave after the moisturizer because I like the scent to be the last item I apply.

+1 This is similar to mine...
Icy cold water rinse (an ice block in a washbasin - I am in the tropics after all😀)
Alum only for nicks (used to be daily but I found it to cause more irritation-so rarely use)
Witch hazel mix (with 3 essential oils-tree tea, lavender & peppermint)
Hyaluronic acid serum (really softens up)
Aftershave splash
I have less irritation and feels moist and fragranced

Similarly, there's no right way....you find your own suitable way for your face...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have skin on my incredibly handsome face like alligator hide. Until winter. So if I'm dried out I will put a cheap dollar store UNSCENTED hand or body cream on post warm water rinse and follow that up with (usually) some type of vintage Avon scent.

I took a page from my wife's facial skincare routine.
  1. Cool water rinse
  2. Quick pass of the alum block and let it dry while cleaning the razor, brush, and scuttle
  3. Another cool water rinse
  4. A homebrew mix of oils
  5. A light solution of an "ultralight" lotion
  6. Aftershave of choice (and often EdC for scent
I enjoy it and it works well for me (daily shaver). Wherever works for you works for you.

I pay my face dry, splash with some aftershave, usually Clubman's Special Reserve, and follow that with some no-name skin lotion. I let that dry a bit while I spray and rinse my razor. Then I put some Clubman talcum powder on, and I'm done until after breakfast.

Great advice above!

There is no ‘preferred routine.’

What works for me is:
1. Cold water rinse.
2. AS splash of my choice.
3. If needed because of especially dry weather, dry skin or because I want one, then a moisturizer.

Others would add alum block, witch hazel or other steps.

The main thing is to figure out what works best for you! :thumbup: :thumbup:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I follow my shave with Thayer's Toner w/aloe, followed by moisturizer. That's what works for me.

Alcohol tends to be drying, so I suspect following the AS with your usual moisturizer would be fine. Try it and see if you like the results.

I'm confused about the proper sequence used for post shave skin care. Back in the old days of cartridge razors I'd shave and apply a moisturizer, good to go. Now that I'm into the DE thing I'd like to apply something that cools, soothes and moisturizes. I also am liking some of the subtle scents aftershaves provide.

So what's the preferred method for post shave care?

Let's say I'd like to use an after shave splash, alcohol based. Should I then follow up with an aftershave balm? Or let the splash dry and use my regular moisturizer (which is really good and I like a lot). For example, I'm liking the Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave, which I read has some glycerin included. If I use this post shave, is a balm then used, or just my regular moisturizer? Or is this all a matter of personal preference?

What's your routine?
IMHO, if you truly need to cool and sooth the skin post shave, it means that your technique needs improvement. A properly shaved face should not feel inflamed or swollen or hurting in any way. It should feel fresh, rejuvenated.

Alcohol based AS splashes are great if you have oily skin, while moisturizing balms are a preferred choice for dry and sensitive skin. If you have normal (I prefer the term "regular" or "average male") skin, then you can use both.

If your shave is good, you should feel a pleasant mild burn, after splashing an alcohol based AS to your face. If the burn is significant, if it's painful, then it means you're scrapping the skin instead of shaving off the whiskers.

My own routine most of the time is to apply an alcohol based splash after the shave, as I like the burning sensation and sometimes I might follow up with moisturizing AS balm, but not always.

Right after rinsing my lather I apply some alum and let it sit while I wash my gear and then rinse it off and dry with towell. If I feel the ned to moisturize I apply some balm and after a minute when it sets in I use AS splash. If skin feels moisturized I skip the balm.

Sorry for bringing up this thread on alum but why the need to rinse it off? I always use an alum after a cold water rinse and leave it on while I clean my shave bowl etc. I then apply my Thayer's followed after minute or two with Lucky Tiger. (Yes, I have sensitive skin on my neck). An aftershave slash is the last thing. Soooo.. my face is still intact after all these years. Am I doing something wrong with the alum?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sorry for bringing up this thread on alum but why the need to rinse it off? I always use an alum after a cold water rinse and leave it on while I clean my shave bowl etc. I then apply my Thayer's followed after minute or two with Lucky Tiger. (Yes, I have sensitive skin on my neck). An aftershave slash is the last thing. Soooo.. my face is still intact after all these years. Am I doing something wrong with the alum?
If it ain't killed ya it must be makin' ya stronger!

I used to put powdered alum on canker sores. And I'm still here!

I'm confused about the proper sequence used for post shave skin care. Back in the old days of cartridge razors I'd shave and apply a moisturizer, good to go. Now that I'm into the DE thing I'd like to apply something that cools, soothes and moisturizes. I also am liking some of the subtle scents aftershaves provide.

So what's the preferred method for post shave care?

Let's say I'd like to use an after shave splash, alcohol based. Should I then follow up with an aftershave balm? Or let the splash dry and use my regular moisturizer (which is really good and I like a lot). For example, I'm liking the Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave, which I read has some glycerin included. If I use this post shave, is a balm then used, or just my regular moisturizer? Or is this all a matter of personal preference?

What's your routine?
Contrary to the popular belief, the best immediate post-shave treatment is a shower. So, take a shower AFTER the shave, not before it, as body soap and/or shampoo will wash away the natural oils from your skin, thus leaving the face all too unprotected and overly supple. You want to soften the whiskers, not the skin. To do that, simply rinse your face with warm (not hot!) water.

So, post-shave, hop into the shower and let the water seal any micro-nicks and wash all the lather residue.

Out of shower, rinse your face with cold water and tap it dry with a clean towel or microfiber cloth.

And then apply the aftershave, according to your skin-type. For oily skin, alcohol based splash will be better and for dry/sensitive skin, a balm will be more appropriate. In either case, avoid products with high concentration of alcohol, be it a splash or a balm.

As for moisturizer, only apply it when you feel you need it. You don't need to apply it daily.

BTW, best aftershaves will have all you need - disinfecting, soothing/calming and moisturizing properties, so you do not need more than a single product.

Last edited:
I like to rinse off my face with cold water, apply a few glugs of aftershave then seal it in and protect my skin with a bit of unscented beard oil rubbed all over my face. The beard oil traps in the aftershave somewhat and slowly releases the scent over time. :)

Contrary to the popular belief, the best immediate post-shave treatment is a shower.
Some day I plan to try this. I tend to rely on my shower as the 'waking up' part of the day and once I'm refreshed and alert, then break out the sharp items. But at least once I will try the opposite. Probably.

On a completely different note, I'm another fan of Lucky Tiger, although I tend to use it if I'd had a bad shave for some reason, or if I want to get a nice splash but let a particularly robust soap speak for the day (as the pleasant LT scent seems to fade very quickly). One thing about Lucky Tiger (for me) is that while I never, *never* get other splashes in my mouth, for some reason I almost *always* end up tasting Lucky Tiger (and it does not taste as good as it smells or feels). It's like it has a super-surfactant property that sneaks through my clenched lips. It's truly weird.

Some day I plan to try this. I tend to rely on my shower as the 'waking up' part of the day and once I'm refreshed and alert, then break out the sharp items. But at least once I will try the opposite. Probably.
I get that completely. I wouldn't want to wield sharp objects over my face half asleep either 😁😂🤣

If I were to shave in the morning, I'd probably do the same.... but then, I'm an evening shaver and I like to take my time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The preferred method is what works for you which might take some doing to discover.

12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

I have somewhat dry but otherwise very average skin. It's taken me a long time to find what works for me.
  • Rinse well with warm water.
  • Dry with a towel, so the surface water is gone, but the skin is damp below the surface.
  • Immediately apply hyaluronic acid to the still damp shaved areas. Let it dry a little (not much). There's a worth reading thread about why this is a game changer.
  • Apply Brickell's Face Moisturizer (not much) to the shaved areas. Let it dry a little (not much). This is the best moisturizer I know of for my skin.
  • Apply my favorite splash (like a bay rum from PAA).
If it works for you, it's the preferred method.

I've tried most of the other methods, found they didn't work for me, and stumbled upon what works extremely well for me, but that tells you nothing about what will work for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom