What's new

Post #657 Combe Email Confirming Williams Mug Shave Soap Discontinued

its been several years and I’ve no idea if Marvy has changed but I did use a couple pucks. The Marvy barber supply business was not far from where I use to live. They sold chairs, signs, everything a barber would need. Oh, and of course their popular green unbreakable Marvy mugs. The soap came in a cardboard tube with 12 individually wrapped pucks of soap. The soap had a very light sweet almond scent as I recall. Performance for me was equal to if not slightly better than modern Williams, but, that was several years ago….

I went to University of St Thomas, which apparently is just down the street from Marvy!

Thanks for the recommendation. After reading your recommendation I actually gave VDH a try and, sadly, I just don’t like the smell. I think honestly what I like most about Williams is the scent. Does anyone have a thought on what most closely resembles Williams Mug in terms of scent? Is Marvy basically a clone? I sort of think Arco is close…
Closest thing I've found is Arko. Note initially Arko scent is stronger than Williams. If left in an open mug the scent dissipates as does the Williams scent.

I must have a bad sense of smell as I can barely detect a scent from VDH. What I can smell is a faint soap scent that dissipates quickly when in use. If the scent of VDH is unacceptable, I can only imagine what the scent of Arko will do.

I must have a bad sense of smell as I can barely detect a scent from VDH. What I can smell is a faint soap scent that dissipates quickly when in use. If the scent of VDH is unacceptable, I can only imagine what the scent of Arko will do.
I think it’s a matter of personal taste (or how we process smell or something) not strength of scent. The VDH smells a little like desert to me, which grosses me out; i remember Arko smelling like soap when I tried it a long time ago.

I'm curious, could you describe what desert smells like?
We’ll, now, there is a whole forum on that! I don’t understand why people think it smells like urinal cakes!

To me, it reminds me of inexpensive soaps when I was a really little kid, say in about 1979, say at a gas station. it has been a while since I used Arko (or especially since I smelt such soaps), but they are not unpleasant

We’ll, now, there is a whole forum on that! I don’t understand why people think it smells like urinal cakes!

To me, it reminds me of inexpensive soaps when I was a really little kid, say in about 1979, say at a gas station. it has been a while since I used Arko (or especially since I smelt such soaps), but they are not unpleasant
Oops! I mis-read this. You asked what VDH smells like, in terms of a desert smell. I’d say a little like a very sweet cake with a buttery frosting. That’s what it smells like to me.

Oops! I mis-read this. You asked what VDH smells like, in terms of a desert smell. I’d say a little like a very sweet cake with a buttery frosting. That’s what it smells like to me.

Ok now I understand. I think you mean dessert, not desert. That's what had me confused earlier. Dang english language. LOL

I've never used VDH but now I know what to expect. I like cake with buttery frosting.

desert-vs-dessert_0066f46bde.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
does anyone know of a good replacement, meaning CHEAP, puck-form, very mild scent, and preferable made in USA ?
Imperial. It's a glycerine soap 6 oz puck for $10. That said, supposedly you can buy their base in bulk for much less.

I have the Imperial, but have not gone the bulk route. Just search for "sfic glycerine shaving soap base". It does lather much better than any modern Williams.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
So I bought a few more from a different store, and they were perfectly white like normal. Weird. I think I have enough now. I’m using the discolored puck and it performs fine. The scent isn’t as strong but that’s ok.

Most likely old, stored in poor conditions, or both.

I never cared for Williams but now that it's gone, I miss it so.
Very common perspective. Likely why it keeps going up in price now running $15 -20 per puck on Amazon. Better choices at that kind of price point.

It does have its adherents who always loved it per the post below.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

You'd think that someone would have started a thread about the scent of Arko by now.

Top Bottom