What's new

Post #657 Combe Email Confirming Williams Mug Shave Soap Discontinued

My love affair for Williams mug soap has waxed and waned throughout the years. However, using the right lathering technique it’s not bad at all.
A0351183-9CD0-49F8-B8E4-C4178298586B.jpeg

I have heard that the Van Der Hagen soap provides decent performance at a low price. Can anyonr comment on how the VDH soap compares with Arko?

You might want to try VDH (Van DerHagen). It’s not a tallow based soap like Williams, but it does fit all of your other requirements. You can find it in many supermarkets and drug stores at around $4-5 per puck.
I like the deluxe version; I have not tried the luxury version which is the one now on store shelves. I bought a bunch of the former online last year but don’t know if it is still in production. It works well and costs less than the luxury.

I have heard that the Van Der Hagen soap provides decent performance at a low price. Can anyonr comment on how the VDH soap compares with Arko?
Hi StewB, Both are good soaps. Arko delivers superior shaving performance while for many VDH has a mild and more pleasant scent. VDH is easy to lather with good slickness thanks to added glycerin. Note this is VDH Luxury, not Deluxe that has far less slickness as it does not have the glycerin. I also have the Deluxe and only use it in blends with other soaps.

Arko is one of the best all around soaps. Tallow based in lathers easily. Produces plenty of slick, thick lather. Has a soap like aroma that is polarizing. I like it as do many but some do not prefer it. Regardless if you leave it out (press the stick into a mug for example) the aroma dissipates over a couple of weeks.

If I had to pick just one soap then it would be Arko. Given the low prices of either it's may be reasonable to buy some of each and decide what works best for you.

I like the deluxe version; I have not tried the luxury version which is the one now on store shelves. I bought a bunch of the former online last year but don’t know if it is still in production. It works well and costs less than the luxury.
I've both the Deluxe and Luxury. Luxury has superior slickness thanks to added glycerin. Deluxe does lather easily, use it in my Van Der Williams blends (for now until my Williams reserves run out).

Note that VDH changed the Deluxe formulation a few years ago. Covered this in one of my first posts (link below, see post #138). Were you on-line purchases of VDH Deluxe of the new or old formulation? VDH Luxury is similar to the old formulation of Deluxe with the addition of Glycerin.

I've both the Deluxe and Luxury. Luxury has superior slickness thanks to added glycerin. Deluxe does lather easily, use it in my Van Der Williams blends (for now until my Williams reserves run out).

Note that VDH changed the Deluxe formulation a few years ago. Covered this in one of my first posts (link below, see post #138). Were you on-line purchases of VDH Deluxe of the new or old formulation? VDH Luxury is similar to the old formulation of Deluxe with the addition of Glycerin.

New in orange box. I was not aware that they changed the formula. The one I use occasionally is still the old one then. I have 4 pucks of the new I have not tried yet. Sounds like I got $)@&$‘!😄

picked up about 4 pucks of the deluxe my self the other day to try it the new stuff its hard to find anymore locally or online

picked up about 4 pucks of the deluxe my self the other day to try it the new stuff its hard to find anymore locally or online
Yes, purchase my Deluxe on-line from Walgreens via delivery to store. Less than $2 a puck when they have one of their 25% off sales. Works well as a binder ingredient to my blends that also promotes easy lathering.

New in orange box. I was not aware that they changed the formula. The one I use occasionally is still the old one then. I have 4 pucks of the new I have not tried yet. Sounds like I got $)@&$‘!😄
Try it anyway as YMMV. If slickness is an issue for you get some Arko (Williams now discontinued), grate it and mix with the VDH Deluxe and the blend should work well. One stick to one puck should work.

Second option would be to melt it and add some glycerin. Have not done that so you will need to see how it works.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Well, depending on how you define ‘cheap’, yourshaving has La Toja for under $2.50 per 50g stick, and it’s great soap. It is an international sale, and shipping is very reasonable except compared to $2.50 for a stick, so you do need to be willing to stock up a little or go in with a friend.

I’ve tried almost all the high end soaps/creams and use them a lot, but the two cheapies that I continually use are La Toja and Pre de Provence.

True cheapskates will balk at the price of PdP (Bergamot and thyme can be had for ~$13 for 150g on sale), but hey, get a tub of PdP and give me a call at the old folks home when you bottom it out.

Try it anyway as YMMV. If slickness is an issue for you get some Arko (Williams now discontinued), grate it and mix with the VDH Deluxe and the blend should work well. One stick to one puck should work.

Second option would be to melt it and add some glycerin. Have not done that so you will need to see how it works.
I have a puck of Arko and several of Williams, and a bottle of glycerin. I dont use the VDH much anyway lately, but I am bummed to know that they changed the formula. I, too, bought it online from Walgreens and picked it up at the store.
I have had the Arko for 2 years and still havent tried it. It was so cheap I just added it to my cart for a larger order.

Thanks

You might want to try VDH (Van DerHagen). It’s not a tallow based soap like Williams, but it does fit all of your other requirements. You can find it in many supermarkets and drug stores at around $4-5 per puck.
Thanks. I just ordered some from Walgreen’s. Seems there is a b if debate around here about which people like better, so maybe it’s in the same class

Thanks. I just ordered some from Walgreen’s. Seems there is a b if debate around here about which people like better, so maybe it’s in the same class
I think you might like VDH. I always found it to be easy to lather and it provides a decent slickness. I currently have 3 pucks in my inventory and have probably used 7-8 pucks over the last 8 years. It’s certainly not the best soap, but I think it’s a better soap than Williams.

I think you might like VDH. I always found it to be easy to lather and it provides a decent slickness. I currently have 3 pucks in my inventory and have probably used 7-8 pucks over the last 8 years. It’s certainly not the best soap, but I think it’s a better soap than Williams.
I used VDH deluxe, original formula, today with an Omega boar, and received a nice DFS with a vintage post-war NDC Gillette Tech.

Thanks for the recommendation. After reading your recommendation I actually gave VDH a try and, sadly, I just don’t like the smell. I think honestly what I like most about Williams is the scent. Does anyone have a thought on what most closely resembles Williams Mug in terms of scent? Is Marvy basically a clone? I sort of think Arco is close…

Top Bottom