What's new

Possible bevel angle issues

I'm having difficulty with an old vintage Kropp I got. Since I got it, sharpness has deteriorated to the point where I can barely use it, even though it's not been used for that many shaves (maybe 15?) and despite a couple of returns to the hone (see separate thread). All this time my main straight (a Boker) has been just lovely, so I'd tend to rule out my stropping technique.

I also note that stropping on paste or on plain leather doesn't seem to make any difference based on HHT.

Could this be from the way the bevel was set when originally restored? I can't contact the seller, but I wonder whether it might have been over-taped. I say this because compared to the Boker, the Kropp has always needed to be at a much steeper angle to my face (anything up to ~40°) in order to shave properly.

Grateful for thoughts - I'm thinking of taking it right back to square 1 i.e. resetting the bevel myself and working up from grits I'd only usually take to a kitchen knife...

This is just my opinion now......you could (A) get a set of lapping films and reset your bevel with no tape and mark the edge with a sharpie before you start.....could take a while if tape was used before and you would have to inspect the blade frequently to see the honing pattern. Or (B) sent it out to be professionally honed so your starting with a good base to build off of.

Larry

Last edited:
Could this be from the way the bevel was set when originally restored? , the Kropp has always needed to be at a much steeper angle to my face (anything up to ~40°) in order to shave properly.
From your description, this sounds likely. This stuff is generally easy for an experienced person to sort out with the razor in hand. If you post your general location, there may be someone close who could take a look. Short of that I would say to sharpie the bevels and do a few light strokes on a high grit stone to see if the hone is reaching the apex.

Best thing is to get a set of calipers and measure spine width and blade width. With those two and a little trig you can guesstimate your bevel angle. Search the forum there are plenty of calculators and spreadsheets gents have made to do it.

Thanks all - very helpful. Had a quiet afternoon so spent some time working the hones (800 / 3000 / 8000 / 12000) and have reset the bevel. Used a Sharpie but couldn't see clearly so I guess I won't know for sure what the cause was.

Now seems comparable to the Boker on AHT which I use to test developing edges while honing; just need to try it out for real to be sure.

Update - following the only real test (i.e. a shave), resetting the bevel has worked. Not really surprising, given it's creating a new cutting edge, but reassuring. Also doesn't now need to be at a steep angle to cut, so I'm inclined to think it was overtaped when setting the previous bevel. Happy shaves.

Top Bottom