What's new

Poor Reviews and Influence

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Someone who only uses $4 soaps and then get hold of a more expensive sample doesn't help me much either.

<snip>

Any review that has an arbitrary price level for a product (I would never pay over $15 for xyz) automatically goes into the suspect pile.

I always like reading your posts, Keith, but you and I would be useless for each other in terms of reviews :D Not through either of us being wrong, just totally different priorities and expectations. If cheap stuff works for me, and it usually does, I don't move beyond it. The only soaps I've used beyond Wilkie blue bowl, Palmolive and MWF, are local crafts soaps which nobody will have heard of, and most people here would hate :lol:

I have considered getting one or two samples of something - maybe one soap sample from each of two different makers - just to see what the fuss is about, and what it is people seem to think they "need" from a soap. (which sounds worse than I intended it to) Haven't done it yet. Might do it after the next soap is done, around August/September time.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always like reading your posts, Keith, but you and I would be useless for each other in terms of reviews :D Not through either of us being wrong, just totally different priorities and expectations. If cheap stuff works for me, and it usually does, I don't move beyond it. The only soaps I've used beyond Wilkie blue bowl, Palmolive and MWF, are local crafts soaps which nobody will have heard of, and most people here would hate :lol:

I have considered getting one or two samples of something - maybe one soap sample from each of two different makers - just to see what the fuss is about, and what it is people seem to think they "need" from a soap. (which sounds worse than I intended it to) Haven't done it yet. Might do it after the next soap is done, around August/September time.

You might be surprised what a small improvement the extra dollars of the expensive stuff gives. I've never found a soap that couldn't give a good shave (I have found a couple I never want to smell again).

I think it comes down to two things:
1. Can you perceive/appreciate a difference?
2. Is the difference worth paying for?

We all draw the price line somewhere, but my line is admittedly pretty high. Nothing's too good for me.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I think it comes down to two things:
1. Can you perceive/appreciate a difference?
2. Is the difference worth paying for?

Nice summary. Applies to a lot more than soap too. Kai blades for example, were "yes" to answer one, but "no" to answer two, whereas Feather (to pick just one example) were a "yes" to both.

Yeah, my bar is set pretty low. I think me preferring unscented, or neutrally scented soap, takes away a lot of the incentive to "aim higher" too.

With amazon I'll look for Amazon's stamp of approval on an item (they steered me so right on my grandson's bubble mower) but on shaving I trust the fine folks at B&B.

Not really, because I read at least three reviews (not store reviews) and then form an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Do poor product reviews and negative posts genuinely influence your decisions to purchase, or do you just chalk them up to opinion ?
Ever been interested in a product then balked at buying after reading some negativity?

Not really, but something I get from various reviews are a different perspective than my own.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-1975-jack-nicholson-laughing.png

Top Bottom