What's new

Polo shirts or short sleeved shirts?

What do you see as the difference? For me, if it's too long to be left out, I'll tuck it in. Then again, if it's short enough to be left out, I'll still tuck it in ... unless it's too short to stay tucked in.

Oh, and I agree on the Henley, but in those, I like both long sleeves and short.

If a shirt is cut in a guyabera style (or a Hawaiian shirt style, or like those "fishing shirts") those are meant to be left untucked, as they are more casual. If it's just a OCBD with short sleeves, those are generally tucked in, although you could leave them untucked.

100% agree on the Henley - I too have them in short and long sleeve.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’m not a big fan of polos, but find them the most professional looking option for the office if it’s too hot for a sport coat. Otherwise, I like untucked camp shirts and patterned SL button downs in summer. Tucked in SL dress shirts just look all wrong to me. Fine for military men in a multi uniform with a military physique, but I can’t pull that off anymore. And I’m not really into the NASA or Sipowitz look either.

I like both. Though I still wear polo shirts more often as I like their simplicity. They are easy to wash, dry, fold. Also easy to wear with very minimal buttons and less expectations of being worn tucked. In general a wider spectrum of solid colors to choose from beyond white, black, and blue.

Over time I have started to wear more short sleeved shirts due to some secondary factors that are not exclusive when comparing them to Polo shirts, but more generally on the side of short sleeved shirts. Factors like: a better collar for a better overall look and more sun protection (I get the heebie-jeebies when I see guys wearing a shirt without a collar under a sport jacket); a front pocket or at least a better pocket; and a thinner more lightweight fabric. Although the fabric blend determines comfort and volume, I like how short sleeve shirts are travel friendly taking up about half as much space in a carry-on and when hand washing on the road they drip dry more quickly. I don't especially like most patterns or most solid colors in a short sleeved dress shirt, but I don't especially dislike most either so I just wear them without choosing a favorite.

Interesting question, thanks for bringing this up. For a while, the company I worked at had a golf league. That, combined with the fact that the environment was buisness casual, meant that my wardrobe was almost exclusively short sleeve polos of some type of tech fabric. However, I haven't picked up my golf clubs in over 2 years. In fact, I ended up ditching my bag because I was cleaning it out and found a dead mouse in the bottom that had chewed through it in spots. My wife has bought me a few short sleeve button up shirts - some also of a "tech fabric" variety. I've found those to be cooler in the warm months than the typical polo, and even lean towards wearing them more now. I'm not really sure what is considered more "fashionable", but I do enjoy their function. I typically leave them untucked, though a couple may be technically too long for that.

Short sleeves, and if you wear them untucked you need a straight hem to look sharp....
shirt.jpg
shirt_1.jpg

I'll wear polos or short sleeves interchangeably, but casually. can't remember the last time I tucked them in. the airflow in my hot summers make it easier and more comfortable that way. even a few western styled pearl snaps, because a polo, cargo shorts, and cowboy boots just looks wrong. but I don't like the synthetic/performance polos I've seen/had.

I have some longsleeved linens as well, and a bunch of synthetic SPF 50 longsleeved fishing shirts that work a treat in the peak of summer.

I was dressed to the nines for St. Paddy's Day...

3E5B8ADF-19DF-4E5C-8FEA-30C927B8D7EC.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a mixture, but if I'm going to wear a polo, I've had the best luck with Tommy Hilfiger polos. They never seem to wear out and fit me well.

Living in Florida, my "uniform" seems to be nice cargo shorts and a polo shirt. A few days a year, I actually need a long sleeve shirt and even long pants, though generally not unless it's a more formal event. I even wear a vest sometimes in the winter... I still own a couple winter coats.... they get used a couple days every other year or so. ;)

Thanks for bringing this back up. I'm about to swap out to my warm weather clothing. I still have way more "tech" polos from my days of playing hide and seek with the round dimpled spawn of Satan. It'll be interesting to see what I tend to lean towards this year, as coming physically into the office/plant is a more frequent occurrence than in the past.

I’ve never been a fan of polo shirts. I’m of the opinion that a shirt with a collar should have buttons all the way down. I’ve got no issues with t-shirts or short sleeve button downs, tucked or untucked.

Top Bottom