What's new

Poll: Short vs Long Handle?

Poll: Short vs Long Handle?

• Long handle

Votes: 55 28.6%
  • Short handle

Votes: 137 71.4%

• Total voters
I voted short. They fit better in my hand, more comfortable. When I use the long handles in my rotation I noticed that I hold them closer to the head, so I'm actually turning them into shorts as well.

My favorite handle is the Maggards MR1. Not too short, not too thin, also not too light or heavy and on top of that is very inexpensive. I think Yaqi made their own version of this handle and it comes in different colors and I think the middle of it is plastic or something else. The Razorock handles like the Barber Pole and the Radio Knob look great, but I find them a bit thicker and heavier for my preference.

In some instances I like a bit larger handles. For instance, I find my Schick adjustable to have a much more comfortable handle compared to my E2. I also hate the Piccolo hande, which came with my Schone and I was hoping to get their spiral pattern handle

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I prefer long handles. Don't know why...just do. I suppose it's how it feels in my hand. Nothing mind-blowing there. 🙂

I find myself choking up on a long handle, and the short handled ones are held towards the end....

So is my technique bad? Am I really a man that should be picking up a short handled razor?

Why can't I be normal?!?
You just prefer a tail heavy balance is all. And the short handle ones take off too much weight for you so you try to add weight to the head to maintain stability by moving your hand back. Perfectly normal, if a little weird different. :wink2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not voted. The location of the balance point is more important to me.

The length of the handle, is just one factor. Weight of the razor head, handle diameter, and handle material are all critical factors into how long the handle needs to be, for me to find it well balanced.

I much prefer short handles.

I like to choke up on the handle near the head for more control, but still like the weight biased towards the head.

A longer handle gets in the way, and also counterbalances the head too much for my taste.

I use both but prefer long. Short handle razors feel finicky to me so I tend to choke up and use more pressure. With long handle razors I find the balance point and use a lighter touch.

Not voted. The location of the balance point is more important to me.

The length of the handle, is just one factor. Weight of the razor head, handle diameter, and handle material are all critical factors into how long the handle needs to be, for me to find it well balanced.
That is a fascinating post. In my examination of my small razor collection, I'm finding the 40's Super Speed to be a fine balancer. I will define what I mean. 'Where the razor is balanced in an optimum way, allowing handle weight to assist at maximum efficiency in equal and opposite directions while in use, relative to the head in terms of weight distribution' Or, 'where there is no unusual clashes of weight and balance while in use, the users hand position on the handle should at no time unduly disrupt the ergonomics of the razor, whatever that position may be'

I am also finding the Fatip Piccolo to be superbly balanced for my tastes, and the Slim Adjustable is acceptable, although if the fulcrum point is lost to me, which is about 3-4 mm from the bottom of the adjusting knurl, it becomes hard to fly. She is head-heavy. Oddly so is my 30 gram English Alu-Tech from the early 60's. I find their balance points are very roughly similar, although my Tech is the most unbalanced of the lot, due to it's brass head and aluminum handle.

Last edited:
I prefer shorter on all of my razors except my Timeless Ti .95 SB which gets my Tibam Ti 90mm handle. I consider 90mm a long handle. My Wolfmen are at their best when paired with an 80mm handle.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That is a fascinating post. In my examination of my small razor collection, I'm finding the 40's Super Speed to be a fine balancer. I will define what I mean. 'Where the razor is balanced in an optimum way, allowing handle weight to assist at maximum efficiency in equal and opposite directions while in use, relative to the head in terms of weight distribution' Or, 'where there is no unusual clashes of weight and balance while in use, the users hand position on the handle should at no time unduly disrupt the ergonomics of the razor, whatever that position may be'

I am also finding the Fatip Piccolo to be superbly balanced for my tastes, and the Slim Adjustable is acceptable, although if the fulcrum point is lost to me, which is about 3-4 mm from the bottom of the adjusting knurl, it becomes hard to fly. She is head-heavy. Oddly so is my 30 gram English Alu-Tech from the early 60's. I find their balance points are very roughly similar, although my Tech is the most unbalanced of the lot, due to it's brass head and aluminum handle.

Please excuse soap scum and white balance issues. I'm not a fastidious razor polisher, and my phone's camera is quite poor.

My two primary razors are the Edwin Jagger DE3D14 (left) which is my regular daily razor, and a Merkur open comb head on an IKon Bulldog II handle (right).

20220302_033111.jpg

The balance point for both (shown with the pen) sits squarely between the index and middle finger, which gives me optimal dexterity. As my grip shifts around in the various contours and directions, the razor balance is usually between the point shown, and centre line of the index finger. That (for me) renders the weight of the razor irrelevant.

20220302_032935.jpg 20220302_033004.jpg

I have both full control, and maximum sensation (think stylus on a vinyl record) of any feedback should there be any resistance from poor angle, or "speedbump" (non-visible spot). Full control, and heightened awareness leads to great shaves. Raising or lowering that balance point reduces the amount of feel I have as to what's happening.

My birth quarter Super Slim Twist balance point, is tucked right up under the head, which totally wrecks the ergonomics. Similarly, if I switch the Merkur open comb head for my IKon SBS head, the balance point shifts up off the knurled part of the handle again, and instead of wielding it like a scalpel, it feels like I'm trying to club the stubble from my face. 🤕

(Light handle fanboys are weird :tongue_sm)

Where the handle ends, is pretty much irrelevant. It's in fresh air, and doesn't get in the way. Although I do like to sometimes rest my little finger on the opposite side to swivel the razor about the index finger, by pushing with either the middle finger or little finger, for fine tuning the angle of attack, without doing it all with the elbow. I can do that quite comfortably with both these handles, and am happy to switch the little finger for the ring finger, or tweak by shifting the thumb, on shorter travel sized handles.

I would say that balance might be the primary key to me getting along with a razor. If I pick up a razor, and the balance point isn't right where I need it, I know I'm not going to get the best shaves with it, regardless of head geometry or how securely the blade is clamped. I don't do razor buying rabbit holes, because I know these two are perfectly balanced, and don't want to be chucking money at fancy razors, without knowing whether or not the balance point is where it "should" be (for me, of course).

I prefer short handle the weight seems for my shaving style to work better than longer handled razors, and I find it more maneuverable as well. Though I suspect there are much beter razors then the merkur 34c I use.

Top Bottom