What's new

Plating metal of GEM razors?

A question for the GEMinis (so much catchier than Gemocrats, no?):

What metal is used to plate the various silver GEMs? I'm thinking it's chrome but just want to make certain.

Also, is it silly that I'm considering replating my collection of dinged-up if well-loved SEs?

I know I could probably get a vintage one in great shape with a case for less money than what it'd cost to get one replated, but I'm sick of the bay and anal enough that the little scratches and nicks on otherwise great razors actually bother me.

I just want heavy shiny replates that'll last another hundred or so years.

proxymoron,

My early GEMS are nickel plated, and the later ones are chromium plated.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Not to hijack your thread proxymoron, but I am curious if anybody here has had their SE replated? Maybe even post some pics of your SE replate?!

I have a gold-toned "Bullett" Micromatic I would love to get replated but I don't know how well that would turn out or how long it would last.

I've wondered the same.

The Gbars in particular all look pretty much like new.

The chrome plating looks so much different than the Gillettes of that era.

I have a Gem Junior Bar getting the Cooncat Bob treatment and two ER lather catchers out being rhodium plated. I will post pics when they return. I am also thinking about getting my favorite Damaskeene rhodium plated.

If I may ask, how much is it costing you to replate your Gem Junior? I'm considering either learning how to do it myself or sending it off... but if both ways are really expensive, maybe not.

If I may ask, how much is it costing you to replate your Gem Junior? I'm considering either learning how to do it myself or sending it off... but if both ways are really expensive, maybe not.

I don't know yet. I am also getting a custom wood handle for it. I will let you know when I get the bill but I am sure it is reasonable.

If I may ask, where do people get their razors replated? Local shops (like ones that do car bumpers) or online..?

Top Bottom