What's new

How to clean and polish a dirty gold plated razor without damaging it's plating

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That photo was taken on a bad background for the color of the razor. Anyway, I wouldn’t take a chance of polishing the razor past soap and water.

When the case arrives it would look like this. Probably not as shiny, but close enough :D.

1936 (G4 on blade) Aristocrat DeLuxe.JPG

Oh, I was referring to post #16, looks like that one already has some brassing.

The pictures from post 6 and 16 are from the same razor, but taken my different people during different light and both look very different.

What I’ve found to make an used razor look nearly new is a quick scrub with Dawn, Blue Magic Mag Polish, and a toothbrush…

I hold the razor in my left hand and put about a quarter size squirt of Dawn in my palm… put a tad bit of polish on the brush, very little needed, then dip the brush in the Dawn and scrub away… rinse with water… done in about 1 minute

Never had any finish issues, no need to go crazy with the Polish, just a tad will do to remove the tarnish, along with the Dawn and water as needed.

I recommend a lacquer polish or polishing cloth that's made specifically for lacquered musical instruments. You can buy these online or at any musical instrument dealer.

What i see is a good looking razor but in the last photos somebody has used a flash on the camera and that is why the gold is looking washed out try turning the flash off first

Top Bottom