What's new

Pipe Tobacco Help

Thinking about picking up a Cob and/or a Bones Pipe. Looking for some tobacco recommendations. The cigars I like are typically Connecticut Broadleaf like the Liga number 9 and Chateau Fuente Maduro. Looking for a full flavor and body with a pleasant room note. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've not really found a correlation between pipe tobacco and cigars. I think Escudo would be a good place to start due to the pleasant room note and I can't recall anybody saying they didn't like it.

Thinking about picking up a Cob and/or a Bones Pipe. Looking for some tobacco recommendations. The cigars I like are typically Connecticut Broadleaf like the Liga number 9 and Chateau Fuente Maduro. Looking for a full flavor and body with a pleasant room note. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Buy a few one ounce samples. An automatic might surprise you. Escudo is a nice one but you have to buy a whole tin. I would pick up a Balkan style English. Arrango Balkan Supreme is one of the best I've had available in bulk. MacBaren Old Dark Fired is full body available in bulk. GLPease Cumberland has some nice stuff in it.

If you have a brown leaf badge someone may be willing to send you a bunch of samples for a few sticks. 🙃

Just ordered some Arango Balkan Supreme and Father Dempsey to start with. Thanks for the input.

I always recommend trying a few different styles. For example, a Virginia/Perique (vapr) like Peterson Elizabethan or a Burley blend like Cornell and Diehl’s Old Joe Krantz. Smoke a bowl of each and see what flavors you like.

Some really good suggestions here. I'm always a proponent of trying one of each of the major categories, English/Balkan, Virgina/Vaper, Kentucky and aromatic just so you have an idea where your preference may lean. Then you can go more in depth.

For you I would also suggest a tobacco with cigar leaf in it. Something like GL Pease Key Largo or C&D's Habana Daydream.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
C&D Bayou Morning is fantastic with a cup of coffee and is a greater VaPer. One of favorite morning smokes.

C&D Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz or Pegasus for a good Virginia/Burley/Perique. For Burley blends it's hard to go wrong with the OTC blends like Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, and Carter Hall.

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, MacBaren Dark Twist are two good Dark Fired blends.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bull's Eye Flake, Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Twist are all excellent. I'll add Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake for Virginia forward blends.

A lot of mentions for Balkan Supreme have been made. I'll add Presbyterian Mixture for an English that is lighter on Latakia. Additionally, any of the previously Dunhill now Peterson English blends: My Match 965, Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap. My favorite English is probably G.L. Pease Quiet Nights right now.

I don't smoke aromatic tobaccos often but I do have Lane 1-Q and BCA on hand. It's nice to have some tobacco that I know won't be offensive to others.

Top Bottom