What's new

Pinaud is not "Bay Rum"

VIBR + Master BR is a great combo. They complement each other nicely. Add in a splash of Gabel's Lime or Stephan's Island Lime for good measure.

Gabels BR is interesting, with a kind of smoky quality to it. It also mixes nicely with VIBR.

My favorite bay rum is Stephan's. It's soothing as all get-out. Mixes very nicely with Island Lime.

"Bay rum" is a big tent. Enjoy the variety.

Pinaud VIBR is the only bay rum I have purchased. My barber has used superior 70 and currently uses Stephens. While I like them as well. I just prefer the strong clove scent that I get from Pinaud.

I've been using Clubman Bay Rum a lot lately -- just to use it up.

I like it fine. It has its cheapie vintage vibe. I like other Clubman products slightly more.

Might be enticed into trying another Ray Rum product down the road.

I've found so much variance in what companies call Bay Rum scent that I don't even know if there IS a Bay Rum scent.

That being said, whatever you want to call the Virgin Island Bay Rum scent, it still smells fantastic to me.

I've found so much variance in what companies call Bay Rum scent that I don't even know if there IS a Bay Rum scent.

That being said, whatever you want to call the Virgin Island Bay Rum scent, it still smells fantastic to me.

They are all of the Bay Rum family/group of aftershaves.

Each company will tweak the proportions of ingediants, and thus are different from each other.

As always YMMV, depending on what you like.

I also don't think that bay rum was worn by pirates. I don't picture the swaggering swashbuckler that others seem to believe pirates were; more of a criminal with a short life span. Drunk on rum? Probably. Doused in bay rum and impressing the ladies with his carefree bravado? Ummm, no.

I don't know if Bay Rum was worn by pirates, and I also doubt that it was, but I wouldn't go so far as to label all pirates as born-to-lose criminals. Some of the most well-known characters from the Golden Age of Piracy were proper gentlemen of the age. Henry Morgan was knighted and became Governor of Jamaica. Stede Bonnet, protege of Blackbeard, was a rich landowner before his first act of piracy. While sailing the Carribean, I doubt they splashed some Dominica on their face in preparation for boarding an enemy vessel, but they likely had a touch of class for the day and were far removed from common criminals.

Sorry for the off topic rant! Continue with the Bay Rum! :lol:

Some of the most well-known characters from the Golden Age of Piracy were proper gentlemen of the age. Henry Morgan was knighted and became Governor of Jamaica. Stede Bonnet, protege of Blackbeard, was a rich landowner before his first act of piracy.

Sound like a couple of nice guys. Having your property stolen and possibly some of your crew injured or killed by a knighted governor or a genteel landowner would be an esteemed honor.

Don

VIBR isn't a simple, single-note bay rum like Superior 70 or Captain's Choice, but to state it isn't a bay rum is like saying TOBS Victorian Limes isn't a lime cologne because of it's complexity. Truth is, very few aftershaves & colognes are truly a single-note fragrance. Sandalwood is a perfect example. Most guys know what natural sandalwood smells like, and while that note is easily discernible in most quality sandalwood colognes, those colognes as a finished product differ greatly from one another.

I blend Master and Pinaud together in my hand before applying.

This combination (PinMaster) does it for me.

proxy.php

...unrelated to the Bay Rum, but that brush has a very nice and unique look to it. What is it?

I blend Master and Pinaud together in my hand before applying.

This combination (PinMaster) does it for me.
]
I have come up with another PinMaster combo that is quite nice, PinMaster Orange. In addition to the Master and VIBR, I add a shot of Pinaud Eau de Portugal Hair Tonic, which has a nice orange peel scent. Good stuff.

I have come up with another PinMaster combo that is quite nice, PinMaster Orange. In addition to the Master and VIBR, I add a shot of Pinaud Eau de Portugal Hair Tonic, which has a nice orange peel scent. Good stuff.

Bay rum + citrus is a classic combo, so it's not really surprising that it works, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of an orange bay rum before. Interesting idea. :thumbsup:

Bay rum + citrus is a classic combo, so it's not really surprising that it works, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of an orange bay rum before. Interesting idea. :thumbsup:
Have you ever said something stupid, then wondered what you were thinking? I just did! That concoction I just posted about, the PinMaster Orange? I had never tried it before! I was confusing it with my hybrid, PinMaster Orange Musk, which is Master Musk and Pinaud Eau de Portugal. THAT is good! So I wouldn't appear to be a complete idiot, I immediately went to the den and whipped up a combo of Master Bay Rum, VIBR and Pinaud Eau de Portugal. NOW I can say that it is a nice combo!

Have you ever said something stupid, then wondered what you were thinking? I just did! That concoction I just posted about, the PinMaster Orange? I had never tried it before! I was confusing it with my hybrid, PinMaster Orange Musk, which is Master Musk and Pinaud Eau de Portugal. THAT is good! So I wouldn't appear to be a complete idiot, I immediately went to the den and whipped up a combo of Master Bay Rum, VIBR and Pinaud Eau de Portugal. NOW I can say that it is a nice combo!

Wouldn't it have been easier to simply edit your post? :blink:

--Bob

You and I kind of share the same concept of what "bay rum" is; a mild tonic, almost like a witch hazel. Dominica is a real good starting point. You may also like this one:

Welcome to Calantilles.com

I found this one to be actually slightly better than Dominica, less mediciney. It evaporates fast and leaves the skin toned.

I also don't think that bay rum was worn by pirates. I don't picture the swaggering swashbuckler that others seem to believe pirates were; more of a criminal with a short life span. Drunk on rum? Probably. Doused in bay rum and impressing the ladies with his carefree bravado? Ummm, no.

Pinaud has its fan base. Like you, I'm not part of it.

Don

STOP TEMTPTING MY SABBATICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to buy this next year.

Top Bottom