What's new

PIF for Brush Restorers

I have a Vie-Long 14095 horse-badger brush in my collection and absolutely love it. It is my favorite brush since it can do just about anything. I've used it for around nine months now and love it so much I decided to by a back-up in case the first one ever fails me. I ordered both the first one and the back-up from Juan at Gifts & Care, but the back-up as received had a problem in that the handle was sanded in such a way as to make it lean to one side (see first attached pic, where it is shown on the right, with my original brush on the left). Stating the problem as received to Juan, he graciously sent me a replacement, but it had a crack in the handle near the knot (see second attached pic). Stating the problem a second time, he again graciously sent me yet another replacement.

What a guy and what a company, Gifts & Care really bent over backwards for me!

Anyway, I suggested to Juan that I could do a PIF with the brushes with handle problems, so that these otherwise great brushes could be better-known and appreciated by the Badger & Blade crowd, to which he agreed. So I would like to PIF the two brushes in question to you brush-restorers under the condition that you would willing to repair them in such a way that they would be in a better state than they are presently. As to the first leaning brush, I think all that would be needed would be a brief pass or two on a stationary disc-sander, then a matching stain touch-up and application of a wax finish. As for the second, applying some glue to the crack, then light touch-up sanding, refinishing, and waxing would probably save the day. But you are of course free to repair these brushes in any way you might feel inclined.

So here's the deal: if you are interested in receiving one of these brushes, just state your interest by Friday, March 23rd at 6:00 p.m. [note: this this has been moved forward from Sunday due to a prior commitment I had forgotten about]. Two winners will then be chosen at random, the first drawn receiving the brush with the leaning handle and the second drawn receiving the handle with the crack. I will pay postage to CONUS, but if you are not CONUS and want to participate, then you will have to pay me postage via PayPal in advance.

***Also, please note that these handles are finished in wax. This means that you should not break them in by soaking the handle in water or lather as otherwise recommended. Just briefly wash them a few times in water with dish-washing detergent and then lather a couple of times drying immediately afterwards.***

Hope this is fair enough, and good luck!

Attachments

• $Leaning-Vie-Long-14095.jpg
    $Leaning-Vie-Long-14095.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 173
  • $V-L-14095-with-crack.jpg
    $V-L-14095-with-crack.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I am new to restoring and waiting on my first knots from TGN. Count me in, please. Sounds like a great challenge!

I am definitely interested, I haven't done one like this yet but am currently working on a couple ever-ready's. Great offer, please count me in.

I would like to be considered. Interesting brush that I'd like to try.

Jeff

You know it my friend. Hope the move's going well. I'm involved in a minute move of sorts as well. We'll have to get back in touch about that Osage orange stuff in July or August...

I couldn't help but notice that we're nearly neighbors!

Great PIF! Please count me in. I've never tried a horse hair and would love the chance to restore and try one!

I have never restored a brush (or anything for that matter), I would be all over this as those look nice.

If you would be willing to let a noob try his hand at restoring one, i would love the opportunity. Otherwise, great PIF.

Just to say that I am forced to move the deadline forward from Sunday to Friday, March 23rd at 6:00 p.m., due to a prior commitment I had forgotten about next week. In any case, there is still plenty of time to sign up as of this writing, and thank you all for your interest.

I've been waiting to do my 1st restoration (stars in alignment) and here it is, a project with a worthwhile purpose and a brush that I have been wanting to try. I would like to be in the running on this effort. Thanks for the offer.
Vic

Top Bottom