What's new

PIF a Week #14- My mistakes: Carborundum hones

Well, week #14 has been a little long in coming due to some dismal events which overtook my stalwart family, but we're back in our modified grooves and in that spirit my year of PIF'ing is underway again. For week 14, I'm offering up something special: my mistakes. It's hard to come by these. There's a lucky fellow who got my ex-wife (didn't work out so well for either of them) and someone driving around in a 94 Chrysler Minivan cursing my name, but as a general rule, my errors get buried or absorbed into whatever dimension bad decisions go. I've not made a habit of passing them on.

That changes today.

From time to time I try to win the eBay game and in most things I do pretty well. I've gotten some spectacular razors over the years as well as other bits and bobs. In the matter of hones, however, it's been a crapshoot. I think I'm getting a Thuri and it turns out to be a carborundum. I think it's an arkie and instead I find in the unboxing another carborundum. Could that be an overlooked Jnat? No, it's a, wait for it, carborundum.

I don't know how many hones the Carborundum company made, but i'm pretty sure we could fix every bad road in america by using just the grit from all the carborundum hones on eBay. What puzzles me is their power of mimicry. These are the Jimmy Fallon of hones (minus the musical talent). A few months ago I bought a french press off eBay that turned out to be a carborundum hone saturated with caffeine.

Well I've kept the things around because they didn't keep making them to one day populate the listings in eBay. They kept making them because they were damn good synthetic hones and every house in America at one time probably had them. If yours didn't, then you or your parents probably were Soviet moles. I keep thinking I'll finally get that old scythe down from the attic, sharpen it up and clear some brush or maybe take my axe, give it a touch up, and turn that huge old fallen oak into firewood. Then I realize that I might break a sweat and go back to my nap. I now realize that this will never, ever happen and so these hones must go.

Here are three hones that came to me in various disguises but are actually all vintage carborundum hones. I've degreased them all, but what little lapping strength is left to me I've saved for honest natural rocks that don't pretend to be things they're not. You'll have to flatten them yourself if you want 'em flat. Two of them come in cool old boxes and two of them still have their labels. I think the little one was once owned by Al Capone but can't prove it and I know with moral, but not historical, certainty that the middle one traveled with Rudyard Kipling for most of his life. If you believe either of these assertions, then I also have some property in NJ I'd like to discuss with you.

QUALIFICATIONS. You don't need to be a badged member, but I will ask for a post count of at least 500 to be eligible for this PIF. I would also prefer to never see these on eBay again so please promise that if you end up not using them, they will be given away and not sold on eBay where the odds are high I'll buy them again. State that "I'm in" and tell me what the biggest mistake you ever bought on eBay was.

pics.

Here are the three hones you'll get. The largest one has the half box which is homemade and even has tiny little feet on the bottom. The middle one has an extremely well done homemade box in which the chisel marks are clearly visible and the little one comes in its birthday suit
View attachment 501717

In their boxes.
View attachment 501718

And just because he's cool, this picture of Camus. Kids, don't smoke. That's strictly for French existentialists.
$albert_camus.jpg

The winner will be chosen by Petros the Pelican.

$image.jpg

So, there was a reason I couldn't sleep, It's 4:12 AM here.

I'm in. I don't really have an eBay mistake. I did buy a straight by accident. I had just registered and wanted to make sure I could place bids. So I quickly picked out a straight that looked passable and put a low bid on it just to see that I could, figuring that I would be outbid anyway. I won the razor for $12.95 shipped. It's a no name razor that say's "The Winner" on the tang. Turns out to be one of those that responds unbelievably well to strops and currently holds the record here of 54 shaves and counting since I honed it.

Last edited:
I'm in!! Great PIF. First off, sorry for any dismal events that disrupted your family. Family most certainly comes first.Glad things are back to normal. My biggest ebay mistake-buying Vintage Star Wars figures. I know nothing about. Ended up being fakes. I logged into a forum that is dedicated to just that-vintage Star Wars figures and posted. The figures I bought were deemed fakes in all of about 3 minutes and several posts indicating where the fake issues are. An expensive lesson learned.

I'm in!! Great PIF. First off, sorry for any dismal events that disrupted your family. Family most certainly comes first.Glad things are back to normal. My biggest ebay mistake-buying Vintage Star Wars figures. I know nothing about. Ended up being fakes. I logged into a forum that is dedicated to just that-vintage Star Wars figures and posted. The figures I bought were deemed fakes in all of about 3 minutes and several posts indicating where the fake issues are. An expensive lesson learned.

That's interesting. What are the clues to telling a fake Star Wars figure?

I'm in. I love your PIFs. I love seeing what is going to be PIFed next. Kudos.

I'd love to get some hones, as I have a bunch of straights, but no hones, or experience in honing, so I'd love to learn.

My biggest eBay mistake was probably buying my first set of golf clubs, about 15 years ago. Someone told me I should buy a starter set on eBay to save money. I did, and thought I got a decent deal. My woods were actually made of wood. They weren't terrible, but weren't great either. A little while later, I realized that I could have spent just a little more and bought a basic new set at the store. Oh, well.

Thanks

I'm in. I love your PIFs. I love seeing what is going to be PIFed next. Kudos.

I'd love to get some hones, as I have a bunch of straights, but no hones, or experience in honing, so I'd love to learn.

My biggest eBay mistake was probably buying my first set of golf clubs, about 15 years ago. Someone told me I should buy a starter set on eBay to save money. I did, and thought I got a decent deal. My woods were actually made of wood. They weren't terrible, but weren't great either. A little while later, I realized that I could have spent just a little more and bought a basic new set at the store. Oh, well.

Thanks

Glad you're in Vez, but keep in mind these are probably not suitable as razor hones. Might be ok for a bevel set or they might not be, I didn't test any of them, but not beyond that.

Glad you're in Vez, but keep in mind these are probably not suitable as razor hones. Might be ok for a bevel set or they might not be, I didn't test any of them, but not beyond that.
Then I guess I have no idea what they are for, I assumed they were for razors. What is a carborundum hone?

Then I guess I have no idea what they are for, I assumed they were for razors. What is a carborundum hone?

In this context, it's a brand. Carborundum made a bunch of abrasive products (they still do) which included some products intended for razors. I had a 118s Carborundum hone at one time which was their version of a barber's hone. The big one in this bunch is almost certainly not for razors, but I don't know about the two smaller ones. If you had tools and knives to keep sharp, this group would definitely be ok for that. For razors they might be too aggressive.

Capisce?

I'm in! I've got a couple terrible knives that I bought a long while ago when I was just starting out on my own. Poor choice on my end thinking that all knives are created equal. Maybe I'll be able to at least get edge on them so I can cut tomatoes without squashing them!

I haven't bought anything on eBay yet, but I bought a seat cover for my car from Groupon for $15. It was supposed to be great for dogs! Maybe small dogs. My pit bull was very excited to go on a car ride and punched a hole right through it. Since then I've just used flat sheets from WalMart.

Thanks for the opportunity, sir! If you're close to the Hampton Roads area, we should grab a beer sometime!

I'm in! I've got a couple terrible knives that I bought a long while ago when I was just starting out on my own. Poor choice on my end thinking that all knives are created equal. Maybe I'll be able to at least get edge on them so I can cut tomatoes without squashing them!

I haven't bought anything on eBay yet, but I bought a seat cover for my car from Groupon for $15. It was supposed to be great for dogs! Maybe small dogs. My pit bull was very excited to go on a car ride and punched a hole right through it. Since then I've just used flat sheets from WalMart.

Thanks for the opportunity, sir! If you're close to the Hampton Roads area, we should grab a beer sometime!

And seeing as you're a double contributor AND a veteran, I'll buy.

Not in, but thanks for the laugh and the lesson (don't bid on eBay "maybe a thuringian" auctions)

There's this one guy who posts rock after rock with those very words. He just throws thuri or coti into the title regardless of whether it can reasonably be expected to be one.

These are good hones for pocketknives usually. I used to keep a small carbo in a drawer at a place I worked that didn't keep any stones of their own around, to put an edge on the paring knives for the kids who were stuck peeling potatoes. Gamma actually collects and/or uses the things, but I couldn't tell you what all for. I can sympathize with a victim of their trickery. Cake enough oil and swarf on a carbo and let it set and it will pass for everything from a Washita to a trans black ark with the right lighting. And yes, they should let you cut a tomato quite well. Low grit edges work great for tomatoes with a bit of draw. I know guys who love using cheese and bread knives to cut tomatoes when a sharp chef's isn't available.

Anyway, best of luck to the entrants and may Petey (The correct spelling of Petros) pick wisely.

Last edited:
And seeing as you're a double contributor AND a veteran, I'll buy.

There's this one guy who posts rock after rock with those very words. He just throws thuri or coti into the title regardless of whether it can reasonably be expected to be one.

Gotta love the 8x2" crystolons with labels listed as maybe a thuri with a $30 BIN. Honest mistake, right?

Top Bottom