What's new

Picked up my 1st ever straight.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Was out looking for some DE's today. I had absolutely no luck. One display case had a straight razor in it that kept catching my eye. It is an Easy Aces by the Genco Co.

I have no idea if it is good enough to be made shave ready or if I even want to. It is in awesome shape and am not sure if it has ever been used. I liked the look of the scales, for $19.00 if nothing else it will be pretty to look at.

What if anything can you guys tell me about it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
For $19 you only have $19 to loose if it doesn't turn well. I think it's a nice pick-up. The scales do look very nice (and the blade). Genco are good shavers. Your next step should be to find a strop while it's out to be honed!

U

Utopian

They are awesome shavers! Do not pass up on the opportunity to experience such a fine razor. If you'd like, I'll gladly hone it for you for free. I like them that much, even though I have two of my own!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
They are awesome shavers! Do not pass up on the opportunity to experience such a fine razor. If you'd like, I'll gladly hone it for you for free. I like them that much, even though I have two of my own!

Don't pass up this kind offer! Very nice snag on the Genco!

Genco has a good reputation. Yours appears to have very little wear on it. The spine does not have noticeable flats. The blade edge appears to be even. I'd say you got a real winner, a little-used straight razor.

"First step to perdition" is right on the money, though. That $19 is just a drop in the bucket. Of course you already own a HD (hunnert dollar), so you know the score.:lol:

Fabulous find.

If you're gonna enjoy it (it would be a shame not to), you DO want it really shave ready. Utopian's been at it a while - he might be willing to give it a coti finish for the smoothness. It would be an offer I couldn't refuse.

You'll see alot of blades from other countries get alot of praise & boasting. I don't think you could do much better regardless of price. I love my Gucci blades, but my Genco and Shumates shave as well as anything. There are other U.S. makers that good also - something to keep in mind while browsing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Sweet!

Ok Scott, with a beauty like that you know you're going to have to use it at some point.

When you're ready, let us know and we'll help out with strop, hone and styptic pencil advice!! :lol:

Hi,

You have found yourself a great straight razor. :thumbup1:

I'd take Utopian up on his offer to hone it for you. Starting with a very keen razor makes learning easier.

- Mike

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!

That is very kind of you. :thumbup: I will take you up on your offer. A PM has been sent.

Thank you so much.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Sweet!

Ok Scott, with a beauty like that you know you're going to have to use it at some point.

When you're ready, let us know and we'll help out with strop, hone and styptic pencil advice!! :lol:

Phil, your kindness is overwhelming.:laugh:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Excellent find at a great price also!

Congratulations.

I bet you are just itching to use it.:thumbup:

I will get it honed 1st, maybe by then I will have worked up the nerve to at least buy a strop.

Hey Street Glide.....I just picked up my first Genco over at the Straight Razor Place forum. It's a vintage and I've only had one shave with it so far, but it looks like it has all the potential to become one of my favs. It's a little narrower than yours, about a 4+/8. I started with a 6/8, but I have been gravitating to smaller blade sizes lately. In any case it looks like you've got a winner there, and it would be a crying shame if you didn't use it.

But just in case, I've got some vintage Gillettes that get no use anymore - maybe we can work out a trade. LOL.

(BTW....I ride a Road Glide.)

Freehand

Top Bottom