What's new

Pick my next Scotch

Have Islays. Love 'em. Lagvullin 16 is fabulous. Need a break though. Highland Park 12 is a regular....

Here are the choices:

Macallan 10 Fine Oak
Macallan 12
Glenfiddich 15
Glenlivet 15
Glenlivet Nadurra

That's a no-brainer for me.

Get one of the Macallans.
+1 ... although your menu is somewhat limited.

Of the other choices, I can't stand Glenfiddich. I used to order it at a dive-bar that my friend used to drag me to, since that was the only Scotch they had. After one drink, I'd always get so depressed that I had to go out to my car and try and sleep while I waited for my friend to finish up. But he was having a great time, usually drinking Bass Ale, and I had to wait in my car for 2 or 3 hours. So I've hated Glenfiddich with a passion ever since. YMMV, of course.

Glenlivet - I've had the 15, never heard of the Nadurra. I thought the 15 was adequate, but nothing special. I could drink it, and have a second, but it was never my first choice when there were other brands available.

I have the Macallan 10 and have found it to be nothing special, but not bad. I would like to try the 12 to see if it becomes more outstanding with a couple more years in the barrel.

I disliked the bottle of Glenfiddich 12 I bought so much that I probably would not buy the 15 either.

Macallan 12 is nice. If you want to go in that direction I would suggest Glenmorangie Lasanta or Glendronach 15 which is really nice but a little more money.

Within your list - Macallan 12
Outside your wish list - Famous Grouse (a blend of Highland Park and Macallans)

Yes, it is one of the better blends, but it is quite diluted as well.

Macallan 12 is nice. If you want to go in that direction I would suggest Glenmorangie Lasanta or Glendronach 15 which is really nice but a little more money.

I can second the Glenmorangie Lasanta. It is excellent.

On the topic of Famous Grouse, if you can find it, the Black Grouse is actually a really nice blend. Similar to Johnnie Black Label at significantly less $$

Top Bottom