What's new

Photos for shaving gear, How do you do it?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Nothing fancy - I just place whatever I am using on the lid of the toilet seat next to the wash basin then snap with my mobile. I crop the image and sometimes apply a filter using the built in software on the phone.

1668782880959.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just use my Samsung 10S and just experimented a little over the years. I take 2 pictures every morning 1st one is a collage for BOTD + SOTD, I take the shave set up photo and add a brush photo that is in another folder what I used that day and 2nd picture is just a SOTD picture and then crop it to keep the bits(pixels) amount down. A lot of folks might not know that a few years back you could not have 1 million pixels on a photo image because it cost a lot of money for storage over time for the forums. My pixel count is usually around 250 > 400 bits per photo, you do lose some picture quality but it is minimal IMO. I just keep it simple mostly and it takes under 3 minutes to send them to my laptop by email messages that coverts it to a JPG photo image that reduces amount of pixels greatly when in JPG mode to process them and save them for the forums(that was the only way to get under 1million bits I could figure back then). Still learning new little things to improve things.
BOTD + SOTD today(240KB) November 18th 2022...................................................SOTD cropped (224 KB)
Brush Collage November 18 2022.jpg
SOTD November 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
This would explain all of your drool-worthy photos.

marty

thx for nice comment!

let's not forget there are important elements besides the photography stuff.
especially software and presentation.
naturally i use editing tools like adobe.
but also the internet tools, such as a cloud service to store and post pics.
this reduces the 'load' on B&B servers and i can delete the files from the cloud after a few weeks.
i use imgur, but there are a bunch of others.

imgur.jpg

and i'll also post my sotd pics on pinterest where they get additional 'exposure'.
(however no other shave forums, at least so far!)

pint.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's the main problem with our house when it comes to photography... we don't have a good place for natural light.. though we do have one window with southern/western exposure. The problem is.. my wife's easel is usually sitting near there but your stand idea is brilliant. I have some music stands I could use with a backdrop like that. I guess I could tape the backdrop to the sliding closet door... It only has good light for a few hours a day.... golden hour, basically...

Thanks for the ideas. I just bought a light box and it's good for some things.. but I just love natural light.

I'm not much of a photographer but sometimes I like sharing my shave. I just lay out some of what I used, or I'm about to use, and take a pic with my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S21. I do edit the size so it's not huge and sometimes crop the pic if I didn't get it centered well.

Here's today's shave -

20221119_055741.jpg

Thanks, my stand is just an adjustable work stand from Home Depot with an acrylic sweep. BTW I find golden hour or any strong direct sun light to be a problem and I have to put a paper diffuser behind window. In your case you might look into some sort of LED light(s) with bounce card(s). I previously used a different studio setup with small studio strobes and lightboxes But the window set became much easier and pleasing results.

Hi,

I should set up the light box and the medium format digital camera with macro lens and then take a pic of that with....wait for it....a cell phone. Ha! ;)

Oh, and have a razor in the light box and then shoot that and post the resulting Hi Res medium format shot. Talk about overkill! :p

BTW, I love the toilet seat idea. I'm still laughing about that. :)

The light box idea was actually for my wife. She makes these cute things for sale at arts and crafts shows. Those are often Juried for entry so she needs pics. She has a small Nikon DSLR and a macro lens and tripod and so this way she can setup easily and shoot herself without waiting for me.

Stan

My humbe recommendation for best bang for buck improvement to images: proper lighting (and lighting technique). LED panels and medium format soft boxes are fairly cheap. You can get a portable two light kit all the way down to small format stand alone panels. As mentioned earlier, a light box can be an effective solution as well, although uniform soft lighting isn't always the most impactful. And of course if you have a natural light source it can be used on its own, but I still find an additional light source can breathe life into an image. Also I would be careful to not mix different light source temperatures which can create challenges in color rendition.

I use my cell phone occasionally but prefer the control and freedom of a full RAW image format workflow. But it can definitely be more time consuming and not necessarily "better" than modern cell phone captures.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hi,

I should set up the light box and the medium format digital camera with macro lens and then take a pic of that with....wait for it....a cell phone. Ha! ;)

Oh, and have a razor in the light box and then shoot that and post the resulting Hi Res medium format shot. Talk about overkill! :p

BTW, I love the toilet seat idea. I'm still laughing about that. :)

The light box idea was actually for my wife. She makes these cute things for sale at arts and crafts shows. Those are often Juried for entry so she needs pics. She has a small Nikon DSLR and a macro lens and tripod and so this way she can setup easily and shoot herself without waiting for me.

Stan
I have professional level digital camera gear but I don't use it for photos to post here. I don't have professional lighting gear, however. I do have that light box and some additional inexpensive LED lighting but I'm not skilled at product photography. I am learning, slowly but I'm just using my phone camera because it's so simple.

One bit of advice from someone who refuses to participate is taking still life photos of my shaving gear used in that day's shave, is watch your background. Just saw an otherwise decent photo ruined by the family collection of toothbrushes in the background with the same depth of field of the shaving gear.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
thx for nice comment!

let's not forget there are important elements besides the photography stuff.
especially software and presentation.
naturally i use editing tools like adobe.
but also the internet tools, such as a cloud service to store and post pics.
this reduces the 'load' on B&B servers and i can delete the files from the cloud after a few weeks.
i use imgur, but there are a bunch of others.

View attachment 1558879

and i'll also post my sotd pics on pinterest where they get additional 'exposure'.
(however no other shave forums, at least so far!)

View attachment 1558880
Your nature pictures are awesome, very detail as if I was there watching the critters there. Thanks for all those photo's and the other fellows who like doing similar photo's. Very enjoyable

Top Bottom