What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I love either heavy (stainless, brass etc.) or light (aluminum). The titanium razors I've had are all gone. For some reason I couldn't get along with those middleweights. Interested to see how you'll like the full blown stainless Timeless.
I love it!!
I have a Timeless Ti Crown handle paired with a ATT X1 slant that Kim sent me. I get superb shaves from it. In fact, I need to use it again soon.

Thanks again, Kim. :)

I had my monthly infusion for Psoriatic Arthritis today... early this morning. I tried working and delivered a couple orders... I even went to the PO and shipped off the Mergress to the B&B buyer... took back some moldy cheese we bought yesterday... The date code was good for another couple weeks... but the cheese wasn't.

Anyway, some months the infusion hits me hard.. other months, I'm totally fine... That long story just to say... I came home mid-morning because I wasn't functioning well enough to be driving around safely.

I just finished my first shave with my Canada Regent ~1933, based on nothing but the seller's info and Mr. Razor's confirmation. It's a long comb: LC. Evidently Gillette Canada never did make a short comb: SC razor back then.

How was the shave? I didn't expect much out of this razor, truth be told. I was surprised at how intuitive it was for a first shave. It felt like I was shaving with an open comb La Faulx without those sharp La Faulx teeth I've read about and seen posted here.... It does shave shallow, as I expected, just from looking at the design. It has very nice auditory feedback. I did my normal 4 pass shave, with the extra XTG pass in the opposite direction... The ATG pass was effortless, even around my mustache and chin area. No stubble was felt when I applied the Metro Gel... smooth a silk when I was rubbing that on.

I won't know how long it lasted until around noon tomorrow, but I suspect it will last the 12 hours which has become my measuring stick.

I've been using Nacets lately, after a few months with Perma-Sharps... I doubt I could tell the difference if I was doing a true blind or double-blind test.

The rest of the culprits remain the same.

Pre-shave: a shower with a double application of the Cube 2.0. The Cube 2.0 applied with the twin to @Eric_75 's Rudy Vey installed 26mm ShaveMac bulb in an ESC Ultimate two-tone anodized aluminum handle.
Soap: Canada Shaving Soap.... I might have 3 shaves left in the tub but it's hard to gauge that. Not many, anyway.
Shaving bowl: CaYuen large Abalone
Shaving brush: The lovely SV Rosewood handle, gold crown 26mm (feels like at least 28mm in use)
Post Shave: LEA Deodorant Alum, Metro Gel, Hyaluronic Acid Serum, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel/Cream... old formula... this tub has one or two more applications left...

I want join the Modern May group... so I'm only going to use the Canada Regent LC once. I'll use the 1934 Short Comb next. I had been expecting the SC to be my favorite of the two, but the Regent surprised me, so who knows? Then on to the FBT, though I've used one 5 or 6 times early on. Hopefully, I've learned a bit since then and the FBT will be outstanding for me.

My sale isn't going very well, so it might take me a couple months to fund the 1953 Y2 President. I thought I'd priced things low enough so they'd all be snatched up in a day or so... Only the Mergress is sold. It isn't a big deal. I like the two Timeless heads so keeping them around won't be a sacrifice. The Aluminum group will probably get put back into storage. They are just too light for me to enjoy at this point, but you never know. Lots of people swear by aluminum razors.
Hope you are feeling better.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I, for one, am really looking forward to your equipment collection.

I’m at the point of not having anything on my radar as well. I would typically be looking to sell some things to fund new things, but, the razors I have that I have used I am too fond of to consider letting them go. I have two that I haven’t used yet, so, they may be candidates. I don’t think I would replace them, though.

I’ve sold three razors in the past 2-3 weeks and have a couple more to resist.

I will also be selling several of my vintages because I just don’t use them enough to keep them. Several have not been used since they were replated, which is also an indication that I don’t need them. I’ve developed quite a liking for vintage 3-piece razors (Techs, News) and my TTOs are feeling sad.

Brushes are my weakness. I’m not looking for any more since I’m up to 20 or so; I have some unused new brushes and a restored vintage or two that will also be rehomed. Again, I have no inclination to buy more.

Everything else, I’m set for a long time… blades, soap, aftershaves. What I have works perfectly for me and I see no need to try others.

On a separate note, those that like heaven razors would LOVE Le Maurice. I haven’t weighed it, but, it feels every bit as heavy as the Athena in my hand.

Now I need to think about pictures of my gear…

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was going to use my newly acquired FBT but I wanted a fast shave tonight.... and decided to use a brushless cream (more on this later), so I decided, my polished bronze La Faulx Classic would get the job tonight. I realized, when looking at it earlier today, I haven't used it since I got my "travel" SS La Faulx Classic and it needed some attention.

I used the Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream Blue Eagle, Unscented for Sensitive Skin for the first time.... What a mouthful that is.. to say and even more annoying to type. I only used it tonight to save on the cleanup time.... no brushes to clean.. no bowl to wash.... But I can't say I enjoyed it.... It went on without issue.... but I couldn't seem to get the right feel for the razor to glide easily... or to stop it gunking up the razor.. I added more water a couple times to no avail... I had used the Tube 2.0 Pre-shave before the first pass and that didn't seem to make any difference so I didn't use it in the subsequent passes.

I got the same end results I always do.... The razor did an amazing job... and did it well. But I didn't enjoy the shave much. I much prefer to use pre-shave applied with my 3 pre-shave brush rotation..... and a good soap, lathered in a nice bowl and brushed on with one of my lovely 5 badger brushes I have in that rotation. Sure, it takes longer to lather up two products.... and much, Much longer to clean up.

I guess if I'm traveling light some time, I might resort to brushless creams but so far, my experiments with brushless creams have been a disaster... Maybe I could try some Jack Black's Beard Lube's Conditioning Shave.... or Jack Black's Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Lather... but they are pretty expensive for another possible failure on my part...

One thing I did learn.. the 40 gram Wolfman polished bronze 3/7 with H2 knurling, hollow 90mm that was delivered yesterday.... is a lovely match with the La Faulx. I used the OEM handle for the WTG pass and the Wolfman 3/7 on the rest of the shave. I've been using the Ti Crown handle with the SS La Faulx to great success and the lighter handle worked very well with the bronze La Faulx... better than the OEM handle? Not better... just different, with a balance tilted towards the razor head a bit. I've become accustomed to that balance. I guess all things being unequal, I still prefer it most of the time with a few exceptions... the Lambda Athena.... and the Vintage razors I just started using. I decided to use the Vintage razors as designed to experience what those wet shavers before us experienced. I didn't think I'd get into that, truth be told... but I have. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'
Is Timeless SS really better than its Ti version?
I had a Ti 0.68OC full razor... but it felt too light to me.. I ended up selling it and buying a SS version of the same razor: 0.68OC razor head... but I didn't like the balance.... But I was using the Ti Crown handle with the SS razor head... the balance was tilted too much towards the razor head for me... so I bought another Ti 0.68OC razor head and started mixing up the parts. The testing is detailed above.... but during this experiment, Timeless ended up sending me a SS scalloped base plate instead of an OC base plate... Jeremiah told me just to keep it and he sent me out an OC base plate. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I bought a SS scalloped Cap. At least, they made a little money on the transaction... The SS handle that's coming will make that into a complete Timeless SS razor. I've never shaved with a complete SS Timeless razor. It should be interesting....

At the moment, I've getting great shaves with a SS scalloped Cap and a Ti 0.68OC base plate... and a scalloped Ti Cap.... and the SS 0.68OC base plate... both with the Ti Crown handle.... This full SS Timeless 0.68SLC should be the end of the trials....

If that is a bit confusing... feel free to ask for clarification.

I was going to use my newly acquired FBT but I wanted a fast shave tonight.... and decided to use a brushless cream (more on this later), so I decided, my polished bronze La Faulx Classic would get the job tonight. I realized, when looking at it earlier today, I haven't used it since I got my "travel" SS La Faulx Classic and it needed some attention.

I used the Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream Blue Eagle, Unscented for Sensitive Skin for the first time.... What a mouthful that is.. to say and even more annoying to type. I only used it tonight to save on the cleanup time.... no brushes to clean.. no bowl to wash.... But I can't say I enjoyed it.... It went on without issue.... but I couldn't seem to get the right feel for the razor to glide easily... or to stop it gunking up the razor.. I added more water a couple times to no avail... I had used the Tube 2.0 Pre-shave before the first pass and that didn't seem to make any difference so I didn't use it in the subsequent passes.

I got the same end results I always do.... The razor did an amazing job... and did it well. But I didn't enjoy the shave much. I much prefer to use pre-shave applied with my 3 pre-shave brush rotation..... and a good soap, lathered in a nice bowl and brushed on with one of my lovely 5 badger brushes I have in that rotation. Sure, it takes longer to lather up two products.... and much, Much longer to clean up.

I guess if I'm traveling light some time, I might resort to brushless creams but so far, my experiments with brushless creams have been a disaster... Maybe I could try some Jack Black's Beard Lube's Conditioning Shave.... or Jack Black's Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Lather... but they are pretty expensive for another possible failure on my part...

One thing I did learn.. the 40 gram Wolfman polished bronze 3/7 with H2 knurling, hollow 90mm that was delivered yesterday.... is a lovely match with the La Faulx. I used the OEM handle for the WTG pass and the Wolfman 3/7 on the rest of the shave. I've been using the Ti Crown handle with the SS La Faulx to great success and the lighter handle worked very well with the bronze La Faulx... better than the OEM handle? Not better... just different, with a balance tilted towards the razor head a bit. I've become accustomed to that balance. I guess all things being unequal, I still prefer it most of the time with a few exceptions... the Lambda Athena.... and the Vintage razors I just started using. I decided to use the Vintage razors as designed to experience what those wet shavers before us experienced. I didn't think I'd get into that, truth be told... but I have. <eg>

Pardon my Wolfman ignorance but what handle is the polished bronze 3/7 with H2 knurling?
Aren't the handles just the standard WRH1, WRH2 etc..?
I'm guessing the H2 is the knurling from the WRH2, but what's the 3/7?
Or do some custom handles exist too?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Pardon my Wolfman ignorance but what handle is the polished bronze 3/7 with H2 knurling?
Aren't the handles just the standard WRH1, WRH2 etc..?
I'm guessing the H2 is the knurling from the WRH2, but what's the 3/7?
Or do some custom handles exist too?
Larry, the 3/7 is a hybrid handle... They were showing up often on the various Wolfman threads and in the SOTD photos... The WRH7 has a sloped profile at the bottom... wrong description, I'm sure... but the WRH3 has a straight portion at the bottom of it.

This a photo of the first WRH3/7 I got... the knurling is the same as on the WRH7... The one I got yesterday has the same knurling as the WRH2... but the shape is exactly the same as the photo below.... straight bottom profile toward the end.

RS_Wolfman WR2 w 3_7 handle.jpg

The Wolfman photos: Photos and Info - https://wolfmanrazors.com/pages/photos-and-info

Larry, the 3/7 is a hybrid handle... They were showing up often on the various Wolfman threads and in the SOTD photos... The WRH7 has a sloped profile at the bottom... wrong description, I'm sure... but the WRH3 has a straight portion at the bottom of it.

This a photo of the first WRH3/7 I got... the knurling is the same as on the WRH7... The one I got yesterday has the same knurling as the WRH2... but the shape is exactly the same as the photo below.... straight bottom profile toward the end.

View attachment 1843527

The Wolfman photos: Photos and Info - https://wolfmanrazors.com/pages/photos-and-info
Ahh OK, got it!👍

There's a guy who frequently pops up in soap threads to tell us that Jack Black is the best shaving product ever invented. But he also claims that Cremo is almost as good...and I don't really have anything against Cremo, I used it for years. But it's solidly in the middle of the pack for products I've tried. And I don't like the way it doesn't rinse of my skin. So...I'd love to try the Jack Black cream but at 30 bucks I won't. The Beard Lube is a no-go for me as my bride is rather allergic to eucalyptus.

But, for the sake of travel, I can transfer some Proraso red into a sample container and pack a small synthetic brush, it really doesn't take up any space.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
MYOC Dimethicone would probably be a perfect travel shave gel.

I use dimethicone as a skin protectant and my rando bargain brand from amzn does that, but isn’t slick.

MYOC‘s dimethicone is slick as waxed boogers, but not a bargain.

Maybe waxed boogers? Cheaper and right under your nose

There's a guy who frequently pops up in soap threads to tell us that Jack Black is the best shaving product ever invented. But he also claims that Cremo is almost as good...and I don't really have anything against Cremo, I used it for years. But it's solidly in the middle of the pack for products I've tried. And I don't like the way it doesn't rinse of my skin. So...I'd love to try the Jack Black cream but at 30 bucks I won't. The Beard Lube is a no-go for me as my bride is rather allergic to eucalyptus.

But, for the sake of travel, I can transfer some Proraso red into a sample container and pack a small synthetic brush, it really doesn't take up any space.
When I was starting out with a DE, I tried VDH and then Cremo before finally eventually moving to a brush and shave soap. Yours and @Phoenixkh's experience with brushless creams mirrors my own. Slickness is perfectly adequate, but I found myself constantly adding more water to keep it wet enough, and rinsing was hard since it gunked up the lather channels. I do the exact same thing as you when I travel, I put some cream into an old sample jar or 2 and bring a small travel brush. Brushless cream doesn't save me any time, and takes up the same amount of space, I'm glad to be done with it.

(And I've seen those Jack Black posts, I admittedly haven't tried it, but I can't imagine it's much different.)

Best brushless cream I ever used was a Japanese product, a little complimentary tube at a hotel. This was 25 years ago, I have no idea what it was, except that it had aloe in it. I got the best shaves of my life up to that point and better than I had for many years afterwards. Wish I had kept it.

Top Bottom