What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As often happens, I changed my plans. I was going to shave with the Rocnel 2022 Elite last night.... to compare it to the last shave with the ATT Windsor SSRH (regular, heavy).

As the day progressed, I decided to get a Vintage Shave in for one of the last days in April. I chose my Souplex "Metal" I didn't know what to expect other than it is highly rated by Simon / @Alum Ladd and a group of guys on the Souplex thread.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised I had such a good first shave with it. It's such a simple OC design... It looks nice because of the octagon handle, I think... (we're not home at the moment as we are down in St Petersburg every Tuesday and Wednesday doing our grandparent thing). I didn't switch the handle to the Ti Crown as is my custom. I wanted to use it as it was used all those decades ago. I used a Nacet as I'm sort of doing a long term Perma-Sharp / Nacet trial. I'm finding the Nacets to be very similar to the Perma-Sharps. I'm a bit relieved as I bought quite a few of them but had neglected them for months.

The rest of the gear and software remains the same. The Canada Shaving Soap has two or three shaves left, I think. This will be my very first 3017 completion in 2 years and 2 months, at least for soaps. I've gone through several PAA Cube 2.0 and Tube 2.0s, shampoo bars, balms, etc.... but no soaps, creams or croaps. It's a nice feeling, oddly enough. Some of you know exactly what I'm typing about..... Others? not so much. <eg>

As I feel my face, 12 hours since my shave, I can barely feel the whiskers on my chin.... Everything else is still smooth. I'm sure I'll dial the Souplex in over time... but I'm satisfied with it even after one stellar shave. I didn't feel the teeth in any negative way... No blade feel... though I admit, I'm not really sure what that means.... The only razor I have where I notice a lot of blade feel, as I'm mentioned previously, would be the Knockout. I notice the blade right away with that one.

I didn't get a photo taken. I've been a bit lax about that... sorry.. but here is a photo taken from the sale:

RS_Souplex.jpg

As often happens, I changed my plans. I was going to shave with the Rocnel 2022 Elite last night.... to compare it to the last shave with the ATT Windsor SSRH (regular, heavy).

As the day progressed, I decided to get a Vintage Shave in for one of the last days in April. I chose my Souplex "Metal" I didn't know what to expect other than it is highly rated by Simon / @Alum Ladd and a group of guys on the Souplex thread.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised I had such a good first shave with it. It's such a simple OC design... It looks nice because of the octagon handle, I think... (we're not home at the moment as we are down in St Petersburg every Tuesday and Wednesday doing our grandparent thing). I didn't switch the handle to the Ti Crown as is my custom. I wanted to use it as it was used all those decades ago. I used a Nacet as I'm sort of doing a long term Perma-Sharp / Nacet trial. I'm finding the Nacets to be very similar to the Perma-Sharps. I'm a bit relieved as I bought quite a few of them but had neglected them for months.

The rest of the gear and software remains the same. The Canada Shaving Soap has two or three shaves left, I think. This will be my very first 3017 completion in 2 years and 2 months, at least for soaps. I've gone through several PAA Cube 2.0 and Tube 2.0s, shampoo bars, balms, etc.... but no soaps, creams or croaps. It's a nice feeling, oddly enough. Some of you know exactly what I'm typing about..... Others? not so much. <eg>

As I feel my face, 12 hours since my shave, I can barely feel the whiskers on my chin.... Everything else is still smooth. I'm sure I'll dial the Souplex in over time... but I'm satisfied with it even after one stellar shave. I didn't feel the teeth in any negative way... No blade feel... though I admit, I'm not really sure what that means.... The only razor I have where I notice a lot of blade feel, as I'm mentioned previously, would be the Knockout. I notice the blade right away with that one.

I didn't get a photo taken. I've been a bit lax about that... sorry.. but here is a photo taken from the sale:

View attachment 1838382
Great report Kim. I think you will dial it in ever more efficiently, and I suspect it will become a staple of your rotation. It is highly efficient yet gentle. An amazing combination and my favourite OC.

A great (deceptively) mild heavy lifter for a 4+ day growth, yet it can also be a daily driver. One WTG/XTG hybrid pass of your own devising will work excellently. I think the teeth were designed that way.

Nice choice on keeping the handle on. It's an elegant little razor, but that just masks it's tremendous capabilities.

Probably my favourite DE razor although I have 37 at the last count. I just keep coming back to it.

It has a charming magic to it. YMMV of course.

Happy shaves with it!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Great report Kim. I think you will dial it in ever more efficiently, and I suspect it will become a staple of your rotation. It is highly efficient yet gentle. An amazing combination and my favourite OC.

A great (deceptively) mild heavy lifter for a 4+ day growth, yet it can also be a daily driver. One WTG/XTG hybrid pass of your own devising will work excellently. I think the teeth were designed that way.

Nice choice on keeping the handle on. It's an elegant little razor, but that just masks it's tremendous capabilities.

Probably my favourite DE razor.

Happy shaves with it!
I already added it to my Top Razor list. It’s too bad the shipping from the UK is so expensive but it was well worth it in the end. I feel fortunate one popped up so quickly.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

View attachment 1838382

Never heard of it before. Interesting razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hey, Kim. What is on your Top Razor list (apologies if I missed it)? Are those razors paired with favorite blades (if so, which ones)?
I haven’t progressed to the best razor and blade matches yet. I don’t have a huge variety of blades but for the most part, they’ve all worked well with all my razors.

Modern razors in no particular order:

1. Blutt BR1 1.20
2. Claymore Evolution
3. La Faulx Classic in both Stainless Steel and bronze
4. Athena X 2
5. ATT X1
6. ATT Windsor SSRH
7. Rocnel Elite 2022 and 2024 Bronze
8. Timeless 0.68OC hybrid: SS scalloped Cap and Ti base plate
7. Wolfman WR2 0.95 SB
8. Timeless Bronze 0.38

Vintage razors:

1. Souplex “metal”
2. Gillette Canada Pre-war Tech
3. Flat Bottom Tech
More to come as I try out several I just received, I hope.

I might have missed one or two, but I think that’s all of them.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm curious to read your thoughts on the News, both long and short. My new-(to me) New SC was an eye opener. I have a long comb on the way now, hopefully I like it too.
I plan to use both for my next two shaves. The Canada Regent LC needs a re-plate, but I’m confident it won’t affect the shave. The 1934 SC is in remarkable condition given its age but I’ll probably have it re-plated too while I’m at it.

I’m also looking forward to seeing the differences and determining my preference, though who knows, I might like them equally.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on shaving with a New short- and long-comb. I've had a shave or two with both and I think it might need a quite shallow angle. I got a close shave, but too much heat/feedback from alcohol after. Please share what you find.
Will do. I plan to use one on Thursday and the other one on Saturday, that is if I make sure not to miss a scheduled shave, but I’ve been known to do that. From looking at the design of the Long Comb, I expect it to need a more shallow angle much like the La Faulx. I won’t know until I use it, of course, but it appears likely. I expect the Short Comb to have a wider angle range but again, that’s just a guess.

I’ll keep everyone in the loop.

Will do. I plan to use one on Thursday and the other one on Saturday, that is if I make sure not to miss a scheduled shave, but I’ve been known to do that. From looking at the design of the Long Comb, I expect it to need a more shallow angle much like the La Faulx. I won’t know until I use it, of course, but it appears likely. I expect the Short Comb to have a wider angle range but again, that’s just a guess.

My short comb seems to have a pretty narrow window of angle effectiveness, and it is markedly shallow. But it is very effective within that window.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto

It takes a wee bit of trial and error, but, once you find that sweet spot, the New Short Comb is a terrific shaver. To date, it is my favorite amongst my vintages. I do have a Flat Bottom Tech en route, though.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It takes a wee bit of trial and error, but, once you find that sweet spot, the New Short Comb is a terrific shaver. To date, it is my favorite amongst my vintages. I do have a Flat Bottom Tech en route, though.
I had a Flat Bottom Tech early on. I had it replated and everything but I moved to modern razors and sold it. I'm looking forward to shaving with my new-to-me FBT soon.... It should be fun... SC, LC and then the FBT...

As promised, I assembled two Timeless 0.68OC razors and used them both for tonight’s shave.

The Stats: the Ti Crown handle was used for both razors.

SS scalloped cap: 13.4g
Ti base plate: 15g
Razor head: 28.4g / with handle: 71.8g

Ti scalloped cap: 7.8g
SS base plate: 26.7g
Razor head: 34.4g / with handle: 78

The slight weight discrepancy is because my scale is only accurate to .1 grams.

I liked both combinations better than either the complete SS or Ti razor head. I could easily tell which was which in my hand and also while shaving. The shaving characteristics are similar but not identical. They sent my brain mixed messages. The heavier razor attacked my problem areas a little easier but with the lighter one it was easier to keep the lighter pressure for which I strive.

If forced to pick my favorite of the two, it would be the lighter one, i.e., the SS Cap and the Ti base plate. But I don’t have to choose one over the other. I’m guessing I’ll naturally choose the heavier razor head when I’ve missed a few days and the lighter one when I only have 2 days growth.

I didn’t vary anything else.
PAA Cube 2.0 pre-shave applied with a Rudy Vey re-knotted Elite Razors Bloody Basin Jasper handle (ShaveMac Two-band Silvertip)
Canada Shaving Soap
CaYuen bowl
SV Rosewood handle, gold crown
Perma-Sharp (1 and done)
LEA deodorant alum
Metro-gel
Hyaluronic acid
Neutrogena Hydro Boost

I’m very pleased with the outcome tonight. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to appreciate the differences but I really did experience a better feel for me. I got the Goldilocks weights as I hoped I might, but you never know until you try it for yourself.
This is an interesting test! Timeless has their ss OC plate listed at 39 grams. That seems like a huge discrepancy.

Top Bottom