What's new

Personna Med Prep blades

Well whether Personna Med Prep and Gillette Silver Blue or any other well preforming DE blade is $16 or $36 for a hundred blades, the important thing to remember is that they are still a lot cheaper that 12 of the leading cartridge blades and IMHO, provide more bang for your buck regardless of the flavor of DE blade you prefer.

That's a good way of looking at it Dave. I hadn't thought about it that way, but now that I see it in a new light, I suppose even $50 for 100 blades is nothing compared to what I used to spend on carts.

That's a good way of looking at it Dave. I hadn't thought about it that way, but now that I see it in a new light, I suppose even $50 for 100 blades is nothing compared to what I used to spend on carts.

+2. DE blades are inexpensive IMO. Compared to carts any DE is a bargain!

You can also look at this from another aspect: Cost per 100 may look different from one brand of blade to another. But if you look at cost per shave, then any DE comes fo pennies for me!

Some time ago, I asked them if there was any truth to the rumor that the Med Prep blades were being phased out and not being used in the medical profession. George, one of the owners of Robbins, assured me that he still sells a substantial number of blades to the medical profession. He laughed and said that that must have been the reason why he had received a number of orders for the 100 blade package ordered by what appeared to be individuals rather than doctor's offices.

Where I work they use a plastic disposable DE razor with a blade pre-installed to shave chests for EKGs. The whole thing gets tossed as a sharp when finished. I was surprised when I saw the package opened to see a DE style razor. No idea on the manufacturer however...

I'm not quite sure where the demand for disposable DE blades is in the hopital. Why use a system where you will have to disassemble the razor and send it to autoclave after use when you could just buy an all in one disposable option?

Where I work they use a plastic disposable DE razor with a blade pre-installed to shave chests for EKGs. The whole thing gets tossed as a sharp when finished. I was surprised when I saw the package opened to see a DE style razor. No idea on the manufacturer however...

I'm not quite sure where the demand for disposable DE blades is in the hopital. Why use a system where you will have to disassemble the razor and send it to autoclave after use when you could just buy an all in one disposable option?

From my conversations with George, most hospitals use a disposable, plastic razor made by Personna. It's called a Dermaguard. However, George has told me he sells a substantial number of the Med Prep blades to the "medical profession." I did not ask who or what in the medical profession. Another medical supply company I had contacted, Quick Medical, but at that time would deal only with doctors and hospitals, also verified what George told me. In fact, below is a photo of their medical catalog. The introduction says as follows: " The prep razor is a must as a surgical and procedural prep instrument. These razors are individually packaged, manufactured of stainless steel, and are safe and effective, requiring only one razor per procedure. Stock up on these affordable disposables.."

$quick medical.jpg

In our emergency department we have a prepackaged plastic double edge style razor. The blade is pre-installed.

When we have a patient that has too much chest hair to allow the EKG stickers to adhere, the nurse or tech peels open the soft plastic packaging. There is no obvious branding on the razor. Once it has been used it is disposed of in sharps container. Blade, razor, everything.

I am not a surgeon, but as far as I am aware there is a higher incidence of post operative infection using a razor rather than clippers. I thought, for that reason, nearly everyone was using electric clippers rather than DE razors preoperatively.

Clearly there is a market for in hospital DE style razors, (and good thing as the med preps appear to be a popular blade in the wet shaving community). I just find it surprising.

In our emergency department we have a prepackaged plastic double edge style razor. The blade is pre-installed.

When we have a patient that has too much chest hair to allow the EKG stickers to adhere, the nurse or tech peels open the soft plastic packaging. There is no obvious branding on the razor. Once it has been used it is disposed of in sharps container. Blade, razor, everything.

I am not a surgeon, but as far as I am aware there is a higher incidence of post operative infection using a razor rather than clippers. I thought, for that reason, nearly everyone was using electric clippers rather than DE razors preoperatively.

Clearly there is a market for in hospital DE style razors, (and good thing as the med preps appear to be a popular blade in the wet shaving community). I just find it surprising.

It's funny, but when I had surgery a while ago they used a disposable razor, the DermaGard. I ended up getting one to take home (you should have seen the look on the nurse's face when I expained that I wanted to try it to shave with) and shaved with it. I thought that if it worked out I could use it on carry on bags when I travel. Not the best shave. I think it was meant for longer hairs and a one pass shave. By the second pass it was torture and I tossed it.

Thought I refresh this old thread tonight. it's been awhile!
I used to have a lot of these blades until I lost them in an unfortunate mishap.
They are really fine blades all around. In fact they were my premium blade. for a long time. I'm
gonna get some more to complete my stash. Whoever has not tried them yet I
totally recommend them to you. I'll be checking out Robbins instruments again soon
They give the best deal on them.

Why do you say obnoxious pricing? Feather blades sell anywhere online from $27.50 to $40 for 100 blades while I can get 100 Med Prep blades at Robbins for $25.00. The last time I bought GSBs I paid $32 for them.

Although I like the Personna Med Prep blades, IMHO the best bang for the buck are the Lord blades which you can buy for about $10 for 100.
Robbins is $25 for 100 plus around $8 shipping

I agree 100%! I’m happy to spend 34 cents per blade (instead of $2.75 per cartridge) for a superior shave. That’s why the only blade I use is the Personna Med Prep 👍🏻

Top Bottom