What's new

Penzance

Join a dedicated pipe forum, hang out for a month or two, and offer to trade* someone something for some Penzance. Folks are pretty generous and happy to share as long as you are making the deal sweet.
But again, don't kill yourself trying to get this stuff. It's great tobacco, but there's a lot of great tobacco with much less hype.

*No tobacco trades on B&B, so don't PM me asking for my Penzance :001_cool:

I have said it before, maybe even in this thread, but I find Penzance highly over-rated for my tastes. But I am new to pipe smoking, so what do I know!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have said it before, maybe even in this thread, but I find Penzance highly over-rated for my tastes. But I am new to pipe smoking, so what do I know!

You know that, at least at this time, it doesn't really do it for you. I think Hal O' The Wynd is overrated- with so much on this board, it is personal taste. I find Penzance remarkable. With HOTW- who knows how I will feel about it in the future? I will say, though, that your posts have prompted me to include some McC 5100 on my next order- enough for immediate smoking and some to cellar.

From one noob to another, be thankful. I intend to avoid this stuff...the last thing I want is to find something new that I love that's really difficult to acquire.

In my case it was the only one that lived up to the hype. Definitely made for a english/balkan smoker.

On the other hand, I don't like Stonehaven that much at all.

Allawd, I agree with you about Stonehaven. I tried Penzance and Stonehaven back to back and it was no comparison in my mind. I am not one to go great lengths to get something that may be over rated by some, but I do like it so I will put an effort in to find some to add to my small collection.

conroygc: thanks for your post /advice, and I agree with your comments about there being lots out there to try, no need to get carried away with one!

Both Penzance and Stonehaven have a lot of character for their particular styles. Penzance has a unique incense-like aroma, and Stonehaven has a sweet dark fruit flavor that I find delicious. Looks like I need to give some Hal o the Wynd and McClelland 5100 a try too.

What would you guys say is a baccy that had a ton of hype and still continues to be at the forefront of premium tobaccos.

I would especially like to hear about some VAs

My Penzance came in, so I cracked open a tin despite the fact that it's below freezing outside and I can't smoke it. It smells delightful. I almost want to just gnaw on one of the flakes. Sadly, just because it smells good doesn't mean it'll taste good.

What would you guys say is a baccy that had a ton of hype and still continues to be at the forefront of premium tobaccos.

I would especially like to hear about some VAs

Well, the aforementioned Hal O The Wynd is great. I personally think Stonehaven is dynamite, although obviously not everyone shares that sentiment.

The one true VA that could be considered "hyped" is Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake. It is the most hoarded blend by a very wide margin. No VA smoker I know of doesn't think it's awesome, so if you're looking for a VA that "lives up to the hype", I'd start there. :001_cool:

The one true VA that could be considered "hyped" is Samuel Gawith Full VA Flake. It is the most hoarded blend by a very wide margin. No VA smoker I know of doesn't think it's awesome, so if you're looking for a VA that "lives up to the hype", I'd start there. :001_cool:

I'm one. FVF is not bad, but I find the MVF to be more flavorful and a better smoke. But then again I'm not fond of Penzance.

I'm one. FVF is not bad, but I find the MVF to be more flavorful and a better smoke. But then again I'm not fond of Penzance.

Had to look up "MVF", and did find it. Harry, can you make any comparison between MVF and McClelland's 5100 Red Cake? I have the 5100, enjoy it and do prefer it to the FVF. But think half or more of my preference is not having to fight the flakes.

Had to look up "MVF", and did find it. Harry, can you make any comparison between MVF and McClelland's 5100 Red Cake? I have the 5100, enjoy it and do prefer it to the FVF. But think half or more of my preference is not having to fight the flakes.

The 5100 is a little sweeter than MVF. Unlike FVF, MVF comes in semi-rubbed flakes and doesn't need as much drying out time as FVF for a trouble free smoke. I got more of a pure tobacco taste with MVF than 5100 and I like the way the flavor profile of the MVF changes as I smoke it.

I couldn't agree more. If there is ever a shortage of Ratray's everyone should obsess on all the other blends and forget this one even exists.

I have over a pound aging nicely for a couple of years now, along with FVF ranging from tins to jars going back to 2004 up to 2011. When I found something I liked, I bought in bulk, or 10 tins at a time. I did the same with shave gear, if I live to be 150, I might have to by more CO Bigelow.

The 5100 is a little sweeter than MVF. Unlike FVF, MVF comes in semi-rubbed flakes and doesn't need as much drying out time as FVF for a trouble free smoke. I got more of a pure tobacco taste with MVF than 5100 and I like the way the flavor profile of the MVF changes as I smoke it.

Thank you, sir. I do enjoy the 5100 I have. Was considering the Best Brown Flake, but there again it is a flake. Perhaps I should consider the MVF first, particularly since you say it is semi-rubbed.

I believe Jay's alternate to Penzance was Northwoods from Boswell's. I have yet to try it myself but it certainly is maintaining a good buzz (not from nicotine).
I am about to commit pipe tobacco blasphemy, but I am not that crazy about Penzance. It's good, but certainly nothing special IMHO.
I far prefer Delta Mojo from Big Star Cigar! The stuff is outstanding! Second to that would be Old Ironside's and then HH Vintage Syrian. They are all superior to Penzance according to my taste buds.
That being said in addition to the mason jar full of Penzance I was able to secure another tin recently. It's just so hard to get that you have to buy it when available.

MOD'S, PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR SPEAKING AGAINST PENZANCE.

It's driving me nuts because there was a video from Jason Dagner on YT where he said a readily available baccy is just as good as Penzance, but much cheaper. I just can't remember that tobacco name.

I would love to try this stuff as everyone gives rave reviews about it, alas it seems nearly impossible difficult to procure.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Had to look up "MVF", and did find it.

Maybe you can clue me in :001_smile

I believe Jay's alternate to Penzance was Northwoods from Boswell's. I have yet to try it myself but it certainly is maintaining a good buzz (not from nicotine).
I am about to commit pipe tobacco blasphemy, but I am not that crazy about Penzance. It's good, but certainly nothing special IMHO.
I far prefer Delta Mojo from Big Star Cigar! The stuff is outstanding! Second to that would be Old Ironside's and then HH Vintage Syrian. They are all superior to Penzance according to my taste buds.
That being said in addition to the mason jar full of Penzance I was able to secure another tin recently. It's just so hard to get that you have to buy it when available.

MOD'S, PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR SPEAKING AGAINST PENZANCE.

Nothing wrong there. I cannot stand Perique, and they let me stick around :biggrin:

Top Bottom