What's new

Penny Wise Pound Foolish Conundrum

Gentlemen,

Since the beginning of my DE shaving journey, 8 months ago, I bought 3 brushes: an Omega Hi-Brush (US$ 24 - S&H already included), one Trafalgar T3 (US$ 26 / US$ 38 including S&H) and one T2 (US$ 23 / US$ 35 including S&H).

That's a total of US$ 73, or US$ 97 if you include shipping.

For less money money, I could have bought an Omega EVO or an EJ STF. If we leave the "diminishing returns" question out of the discussion, I'd say 90% of the members would agree that either brush is superior to the brushes I now have. I'm not saying that there aren't better synthetic brushes for 20 bucks either.

The thing is: for both foolish and practical reasons, it didn't seem wise to spend US$ 65 on a brush as my first purchase and I didn't do it - although the final result of this cautious and sensible approach made me spend more and get less.

(I live in Brazil, so reselling used things is more difficult. But even if I sold part of what I bought, I'd still be fairly close to the price of the Evo or the EJ).

The soap journey is also telling:

Proraso (Green and Blue) - kept the Green and gave the Blue to a friend;

Cella Bio and Haslinger Marigold - caused face burn, gave both to another friend.

Arko - I couldn't get myself to shave with it. The scent... well, not for me. I'm respectfully sorry, Arko fans!

Mogno - Great purchase (Eur 3.51)! It's my daily driver and I could have stopped here - if it weren't for the fact that it came in the last batch that I bought.

Out of US$ 30 spent in a very cautious and sensible manner, I'm shaving with US$ 9 worth of stuff - while my friends enjoy the remaining US$ 21. I'm very happy for my friends but, again, US$ 30 could have bought me more expensive soaps that I - most probably - would have refrained from buying as initial purchases.

Am I the only Pound fool? Is this a conundrum or is there a cleverer way than the "sensible approach"?

PS. I don't want to pursue the "what is cheap x expensive" discussion; diminishing returns; nor do I want to discuss specific brands or products, but a person can be at the high end spectrum of wet shaving (by average standards) spending, say, US$ 200.

This is just an example to illustrate the point: Razorock GC; an EJ STF Brush and MdC soap.

I guess few beginners would take that approach, while some (many?) may end up spending more by taking the "cautious, sensible" approach - and get less for their money.

Once again: I'm not saying that more expensive is better. That's not the point I'm trying to make.

What I'm saying is that once you add up all the inexpensive purchases... and think of all the extravagant ones that you avoided...

I think I smell what you are stepping in, and I have had the same sort of feeling. My fix for the situation is try to practice a bit of modesty while at the same time, try not to make every purchase "pay for itself" LOL. Cuz everything in life cannot revolve around the dollar or you will go INSANE! Ask my therapists, they will explain it :)

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
@Cesare, beautifully written, and resonates with my own penny wise pound foolish journey. But, man, what a journey.

Could now easily create a lifelong shave kit on a $100 US budget with knowledge acquired through regretted buys. Yet, like you, my friends and family have been blessed by the hand-me-downs, and the journey has been a joy.

Great post, and I’ve just found a new friend in Brazil!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Gentlemen,

Since the beginning of my DE shaving journey, 8 months ago, I bought 3 brushes: an Omega Hi-Brush (US$ 24 - S&H already included), one Trafalgar T3 (US$ 26 / US$ 38 including S&H) and one T2 (US$ 23 / US$ 35 including S&H).

For less money money, I could have bought an Omega EVO or an EJ STF. If we leave the "diminishing returns" question out of the discussion, I'd say 90% of the members would agree that either brush is superior to the brushes I now have. I'm not saying that there aren't better synthetic brushes for 20 bucks either.

The thing is: for both foolish and practical reasons, it didn't seem wise to spend US$ 65 on a brush as my first purchase and I didn't do it - although the final result of this cautious and sensible approach made me spend more and get less.

(I live in Brazil, so reselling used things is more difficult. But even if I sold part of what I bought, I'd still be fairly close to the price of the Evo or the EJ).

Cella Bio and Haslinger Marigold - caused face burn, gave both to another friend.

Arko - I couldn't get myself to shave with it. The scent... well, not for me. I'm respectfully sorry, Arko fans!

Mogno - Great purchase (Eur 3.51)! It's my daily driver and I could have stopped here - if it weren't for the fact that it came in the last batch that I bought.

Out of US$ 30 spent in a very cautious and sensible manner, I'm shaving with US$ 9 worth of stuff - while my friends enjoy the remaining US$ 21. I'm very happy for my friends but, again, US$ 30 could have bought me more expensive soaps that I - most probably - would have refrained from buying as initial purchases.

Am I the only Pound fool? Is this a conundrum or is there a cleverer way than the "sensible approach"?

PS. I don't want to pursue the "what is cheap x expensive" discussion; diminishing returns; nor do I want to discuss specific brands or products, but a person can be at the high end spectrum of wet shaving (by average standards) spending, say, US$ 200.

This is just an example to illustrate the point: Razorock GC; an EJ STF Brush and MdC soap.

I guess few beginners would take that approach, while some (many?) may end up spending more by taking the "cautious, sensible" approach - and get less for their money.

Once again: I'm not saying that more expensive is better. That's not the point I'm trying to make.

What I'm saying is that once you add up all the inexpensive purchases... and think of all the extravagant ones that you avoided...

I'm with you. As far as brushes go...I don't like to spend more than $30 for a brush. The only brush I have that was expensive is a Captain's Choice Tuxedo synthetic that cost $65. I bought it from the vendor because...well...the vendor always treats me right and I have plenty of their product. But all my other brushes...and I have just under 20 brushes now that I cycle through regularly...are all sub $30 brushes. Many of them are sub $20 brushes. And they all work great. My favorite brush is the Semogue Pharos synthetic...liked it so much I bought all three colors. It's kind of a no-frills wooden brush that, for a synthetic, has pretty good backbone and yet still is soft enough to enjoy when painting the old mush. I can stab the soap with the Pharos if that's what I want to do and it won't just give way...at least not right away.

Wonderfully done, Cesare! I was introduced to this process by my son--he gifted me a Cremo TTO and brush/cream gift set. I was able to start my journey slow and steady, until the rabbit found out what I was doing and quietly explained the joys of exploring the experiences to be had; bunnies are cute creatures. I admire those who can adhere to the pursuit of durability and quality within reasonable means.

Gentlemen,

Let me start by saying.... oh wait, that'd take 347 pages of this thread! 😂 😂 😂

Here's the bottom-line + skipping the TL;DR: You get yourself the Backland Vector with BOTH plates. You then order a couple of pucks of Ariana & Evans soft-soap/croap and for that traditional, hard triple milled experience (besides your Mogno) you get some MdC and SV, respectively. I'd say Opuntia a form SV and Fougere by MdC.

You'll have the best razor money can buy that will last a lifetime and you'll have enough of the best soaps ever made, for a couple of years of shaving. RAD killed + you get the best shaves of your life for years and years to come. Just my $0.02.

Brush wise, since you have the T3, which is excellent BTW, I'd get CH2 synthetic - another RAD killed.

Do this now and you can thank me later. You will save thousands of $$$ and years of frustration (speaking from experience).

Last edited:
I am trying to test out various things as affordably as I can, and then when I'm convinced something is right, purchase the best version of something I can reasonably afford at the time. Thus, shortening that whole journey of buying more things along the way as much as possible. I don't want a lot of extra stuff, but sometimes I don't act that way, and I'm never happy when that happens!

Apart from the consideration of money, there's also the factor of saving time and energy. When I make a decision to purchase something that costs a little more, and appreciate it, I can move on with life and just enjoy it. That's usually enough for me. I think there was a point in my 30s when I realized that my time and energy were more valuable to me than money . . . although my choices don't always reflect that! I'm a little mixed up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am trying to test out various things as affordably as I can, and then when I'm convinced something is right, purchase the best version of something I can reasonably afford at the time. Thus, shortening that whole journey of buying more things along the way as much as possible. I don't want a lot of extra stuff, but sometimes I don't act that way, and I'm never happy when that happens!

Apart from the consideration of money, there's also the factor of saving time and energy. When I make a decision to purchase something that costs a little more, and appreciate it, I can move on with life and just enjoy it. That's usually enough for me. I think there was a point in my 30s when I realized that my time and energy were more valuable to me than money . . . although my choices don't always reflect that! I'm a little mixed up.
We have much in common.

Except I'm a lot messed up.

I'm at the point in life I no longer beat myself up for anything. Especially money related. I'm FAR from rich, financially speaking, but much like the Apostle named Paul, I am able to TRULY say I have learned CONTENTMENT. And to be comfortable in my own skin.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm just amoral enough to eliminate those people that bother me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We have much in common.

Except I'm a lot messed up.

I'm at the point in life I no longer beat myself up for anything. Especially money related. I'm FAR from rich, financially speaking, but much like the Apostle named Paul, I am able to TRULY say I have learned CONTENTMENT. And to be comfortable in my own skin.

It also doesn't hurt that I'm just amoral enough to eliminate those people that bother me.
This is why I'm pretty sure I will die a sudden death. I couldn't be trusted with a long drawn out death. There would be way too many people I'd want to see pay for bad behavior.

But on a brighter note, I'm usually a lot of fun at dinner parties, because I'll eat just about anything and can make conversation with just about anyone.

Sometimes, when you're new to something, it takes spending a little more money on things that don't work well for you before you find what does work well for you. It's the cost of tuition, especially for something where YMMV is the rule and not the exception. For instance, no one could've been able to tell you that you'd have a negative reaction to Cella Bio and Haslinger Marigold. You could only learn that by trying them.

I see where you're coming from, Cesare.

In 2019 I looked at reviews, decided the Rockwell was a good bet, but which one, the 6C (zamak) at ~£50, or the 6S (steel) at ~£100?

Probably due to cultural background, I bought cheap. Then I liked the results with the 6C, got nervous about my favourite razor being zamak, and "had to buy" the 6S.

I got a spare razor out of it, which I'll probably pass on, but it looks like being tight-fisted cost me £50.

"Cost of tuition" is a good way to put this sort of thing in perspective.

Get a Homelike Taiga Titanium, an Omega of your choice and a Semogue 1800. And get a Simpson Chubby 1 in Super and an M7 in Best. That’ll cover you for hardware for probably a lifetime, worst case you might wear one brush out in a few decades. The adjustable razor will last for centuries because it may titanium, and since it’s adjustable and smooth you only need one.

Regarding soap, I agree with above choices: get an MDC, an A&E or I’ll add a B&M soap. You already have Mongo which is excellent, but I’d say add some Tabac. And add Castle Forbes for some cream, but it’s all you’ll need as it’s the best; if you really need two get some DR Harris Arlington because the scent is classic.

Blades: get some Treet platinums, Gillette yellow, Gillette blues (India), voskhod, and nacet blades; that covers the sharpness continuum.

Done. Spitballing that’s about 850 for a luxury setup. If you stop there and shave daily you’ll beat cartridges easily in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably due to cultural background, I bought cheap. Then I liked the results with the 6C, got nervous about my favourite razor being zamak, and "had to buy" the 6S.

I got a spare razor out of it, which I'll probably pass on, but it looks like being tight-fisted cost me £50.
Sounds familiar. This is the exact same type of experience I had with RR Hawk V3 and Blackland Vector.

The Vector was the one I always wanted, but I was (perhaps overly) cautious. I was like "what if I don't like it?" / "what if it doesn't work?"... so I bought the Hawk, which is a good razor in its own right, nothing wrong with it. Then off course eventually I did buy the Vector. Guess how many times I have used the Hawk since I've got the Vector. ZERO. And there you have it - the cost of tuition.

So when I tell new folks to buy the Vector, it's not 'cause I'm total aficionado (which I am), but because it really is the best razor out there and once you get smth. truly great, your RAD is gone... at least mine is. @Cesare pls take note of this.

Last edited:
This is the difference between Showing the path and Walking the path.

The enlightenment comes through experience and suffering, before that no matter how many times we would have read, heard people telling us that certain items are the Best and we should give it a try.

I started proper wet shaving late last year, before that I suffered with bad shaves etc.

Here, fellow members have listed the best items that will more than likely satisfy the need and also provide excellent shaves.

Question is:

Before I suffered from mediocre shaves, before I fine tuned my technique, before actually looking around the plethora of the products available, before understanding the meaning of the technical terms of blade exposure, chatter, overhang etc

Would I be able to find this wisdom, understand why a Vector, Feather Artist Club, Game Changer 84 Open Comb, STF brush, Zenith Manchurian, SOC brush, SV, MdC, A&E soaps are truly worth it?

For me, the answer is NO.

I have arrived here after suffering, observing, learning from more accomplished wet shavers, by swallowing my pride when I was told something was wrong in my technique and my lathering skills suck.

Unless a person has the luck to observe another accomplished wet shaver, understanding the intricacies, realizing the good products from mediocre products, and most importantly understanding what HIS desired / required setup will consist of, in the absence of such things, or by just sheer luck, there is no way a person will be able to find the best possible combination of gears for himself without spending some time and money on the extras.

Last edited:
If you observe people on the board, you will see some similar patterns as they explore their options and figure out what they like. You have to figure it out as you go, by experimenting. At some point, you will know yourself better and make better choices. You would not know at the start what you know now.

While some people do pursue the high-end stuff, you will see many people get good results with less expensive gear. People get tired of accumulating and want to simplify. I have seen quite a few people sell off their expensive stuff and keep their more moderately priced gear. Similarly, a lot of people try out expensive soaps and then decide they are perfectly happy with the "tried and true" stuff. How would they know without trying first?

What's important in the end is getting good results and enjoying your shaves.

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me its sometimes just wanting to try something out, especially ine that gets a lot of crowd approvals. Pass arounds are difficult bc post to Canada to ridiculous, and at the cost of here and return (with tracking, and even then it could still be lost), and if you like it, buying, the cost adds up. I admit I'm more of a hemmer and hawer now before making a purchase though.

Top Bottom