What's new

Pen for child

JMJ -

My daughter is currently homeschooled (for a variety of reasons) and my wife and I are teaching her cursive. I purchased a workbook for her that she uses and she practices in different ways. To be honest she had a good grasp of writing in cursive before we even began to teach her (she's a smart bugger).

I would like to buy her a fountain pen as a gift and also so she learns how they work and to slow down when she writes. She has seen my pens and likes them and has asked several times when I would buy her one. I have a Pilot Prera that I like as a daily driver (fine nib so I can write small and it's small so it fits in my pocket for work better) and I think that may be a good starter for her.

Has anyone else bought a fountain pen for their child? Any thoughts on pens that would good for kids? My daughter is 10 and is very responsible with delicate things.

YBIC

Mike

I've gotten fountain pens for my two daughters (now 13 and 11). The older daughter has a Pilot 78G, and my younger daughter has a Pilot Plumix. They use their pens to keep journals.

The 78G has a fine point -- maybe it's a medium, but it writes a fine line. It is inked with Noodler's Gruene Cactus. These are no longer made, but there is plenty of NOS inventory at various online retailers. It is well-made, and has a classic fountain-pen look. If your daughter prefers this style, she may also appreciate the Pilot Metropolitan.

The Plumix is not a dedicated calligraphy pen, but it leans that way (if that makes sense). The nib is a narrow italic. This gives an interesting amount of line variation and helps the writer learn to hold the pen correctly. It is inked with Diamine Claret. The look of the pen is somewhat "cheap" being clear plastic, but that may be more appealing to your daughter than the classic look. If she prefers this style, she may also like the Lamy Safari.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Lamy ABC would be perfect for a ten year old. Next step might be a Safari.

I`m being a bit sentimental and I`m sure they don`t make them anymore but there should be plenty around used or NOS ..what about a Sheaffer student pen or something along this line?

My son really enjoys his Pelikan Pelikano Jr. I have also used it, and it writes wonderfully.

$61hYdWiLIyL._SY355_.jpg

I've got a 70's era Pelikano that's a nice beater/test driver for new users. It looks more like a conventional pen if she cares about the aesthetic and I've eyedropper it.

78G is bulletproof generally.

Safari (their nibs are big for their designation to me, XF writes like a F to me, etc)

I would highly recommend Pelikan Pelikano in Medium or Fine. It writes great, it's nicely sized, light and very affordable.

I think that the medium nib (that's European "medium", so it's like a Japanese broad) it's more appropriate for learning calligraphy. It glides easier on the paper, smaller chance of ending up with a scratchy nib and it will write better in all directions than fine nibs.

Top Bottom