What's new

PELIKAN PENS - discolored gold caps

I have 2 Pelikan ballpoints sitting in boxes in a drawer for more than a few years (one is a K650 and the other is a rare K850, both Gold). Pictures attached. I noticed a brownish, reddish discoloration on the bottom of the caps. I spoke briefly to a man at the Fountain Pen Hospital who told me that it will come out easily with a cleaner. Anyone familiar with this? The pens are both in great shape but I don't use them much anymore. I was even considering putting them up for sale here.

Attachments

• PELIKAN 1.jpg
    PELIKAN 1.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PELIKAN 2.jpg
    PELIKAN 2.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 18

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That'll buff right out, use a mild polish like Wenol or Simichrome or a simple jeweler's rouge cloth. Go easy.

It's just some oils from normal handling and then sitting. Pelikan's gold plate is pretty robust @buckeye_pi

As Doug suggests you are fortunate that it is a Pelikan, I have gone right through the plating on a Waterman cap. I would look out for a Sunshine cloth, Amazon sells them for example,

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'd start with a bit of a soak in water with a bit of dish soap, followed by a buff with a soft cloth. If that doesn't do the trick you could add a little baking soda to the water.

Some metal polishes are pretty aggressive, and I would be reluctant to use them on your pen.

Top Bottom