What's new

Pears

Found a bag of pears on my doorstep yesterday, I guess my snowthro-ing the whole block is paying off! Any suggestions for a use for them?

Found a bag of pears on my doorstep yesterday, I guess my snowthro-ing the whole block is paying off! Any suggestions for a use for them?

Core them out (Alton Brown uses a drill bit!). Brown sugar, cinnamon, butter maybe a little cognac or brandy, mix and fill the cored out portion. Keep them upright with foil bases and grill and/or smoke until soft.

Peel, slice in wedges, simmer with a touch of sugar until the soften and start to caramelize and spoon hot over Vanilla Ice cream......mmmmmm

Prefer them as they are myself, all soft and juicy so you make a mess of your shirt eating them!

Either that or fermented into perry!

Gareth

Quarter pears, poach in red wine (I generally use an Australian Shiraz) with honey, cinamon, nutmeg and raisins.
Get a wheel of brie, carefully slice the rind off the top of it, and bake in a 400° oven untill bubbly.
Pour poached pears/reduced wine over baked brie, spoon it onto crusty bread.

I've never really used a recipe for this, just common sense the proportions, it's good stuff.

How about over fish? 1) Cube, soften with butter, lemon, and red onion. Serve as a pear-compote over grilled halibut or other mild, white-fleshed fish.

Or, 2) just get 2 or 3 kinds of semi-firm nutty Comte' or gouda, some smoked almonds, a few olives and call it antipasti.

Or applesauce. 3) peel and poach very lightly. Cube and mash with a potato masher, a squeeze of lemon, touch of cinamon and nutmeg.

I too suggest poached pears in red wine, though I tend to go simpler than Confuzius's rather interesting recipe over brie. I poach in a sweetened red wine and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For extra points reduce and sweeten your poaching liquid into a syrup to drizzle over the pears and ice cream.

I love good pears! If they're well-ripened, they're best eaten as is. I also love them roasted in the oven as previously suggested.

I have a HUGE pear tree in our back yard. Last year, Buster (dog) discovered them and started bringing a pear inside to eat every time we let him out to go to the bathroom. Now he stands at the back door asking to go out over and over and over...for pears.

We have had to start walking him in the fenced yard with a leash in pear season when they are falling. If we clean up the yard, he'll still manage to get the ONE that falls just after. He'll even bring rotten ones in. Sicko.

The seeds are not good for dogs to eat.

We have a huge bag of them in our fridge now. I picked the best ones off the tree. It's so tall that I would need a fire truck to reach the top ones, so there are probably a few thousand pears sitting up in that tree.

Except for right now when they're falling off, it's a great tree to have for shade.

I'm thinking of making a pear/apple pie...half of each. Should be very good, we have good pears. They're a LITTLE hard, great for baking, but still fine to eat in their natural form too.

I love free fruit, but maybe not THIS much. :)

One good turn deserves another. I can't think of a way I don't like pears, especially Bartletts. You earned them, you deserve them, enjoy them.

Somewhere here I've got a recipe in one of my books for poaching pears in red wine, using a Cab or Merlot I believe. The pears are peeled first, and come out a beautiful dark burgandy color. Absolutely scrumptious!

Top Bottom