What's new

Path to shaving nirvana - soaps

My rotation of soaps is built on the same principle as my razor and brush rotations: the more the merrier:thumbup1:. I must admit that I am somewhat more into performance (glide and cushion) than scent, with the obvious exception of DR Harris. I believe that it is very good for maintaining a good technique to have a largish actively used rotation of soaps and sticks. I am still in a state of schock :a47: after the P160 croap disappeared, but looking at it in retrospective I found Martin de Candre and the Proraso creams while hunting for the replacement (Vitos green). You have to be on B&B to avoid these things!:blush:

$IMG_0154.jpg
My soaps left to right back row Tabac, Martin de candre, Pre de provence and my grated Valobra stick with DR Harris Marlborough cologne.
Front row: DR Harris Arlington, Windsor, Lavender and Marlborough.
Missing from picture are DR Harris Almond and Institut Karité. As you can see the bowls are not the original ones. I buy refills and use old bowls.

$IMG_0152.jpg
My sticks: Valobra, Arko, La Toja, Speick, Palmolive (EU), Tabac and Irisch Moos. I have gravitated into facelathering with sticks lately. The whole process is so much effortless and to-the-point, I think.

$IMG_0158.jpg
My superlather for bladetesting: the new proraso blue (and red not in picture) and my home-made stick with Vitos green croap. My prep soaps: the domestic version of MR GLO (same as the export version). I use the superlather to take out the soap-factor when testing blades. I will return to why I am testing blades after 7 years of DE shaving:sneaky2:.

I shave with cold water after a shower or facewashing with MR GLO.It takes my whiskers about three minutes to get soft. With soaps I use Mantic59s upside down trick when loading the brush, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUNBY9zHUw .
Between my two main passes (XTG - ATG) I am careful not to rinse off too much soap from my face. After the second pass I 'stretch the mix' (add more water without rinsing) for the 'bronzing' (final pass without added soap). Please do not try this unless yot are sure of your technique.This delivers an effortless and comfortable BBS for me every time:thumbup:.
At the risk of starting a controversy here I feel the need to explain these unfamiliar terms ('bronzing' and 'stretching the mix') to the newer members of this board.The terms (along with several others!) were introduced by a pioneer in the shaving community; Charles Roberts, many years ago. He had developed a method of shaving referred to as 'method shaving' which essentially ignores beardmapping and instead uses several general forms. He sells a range of products on his site at http://www.hydrolast.com . He also has posted videos related to his method on Youtube. Although he is a controversial person in the shaving community I can only say this: until you have tried the Hydrolast products you have non whatsoever idea of what effortless glide is and how it can affect the quality of your shave! For some reason method shaving has not been trending on B&B in the last few years...

Bosse

Top Bottom