What's new

Pasta Machine

I've decided to start making pasta at home after getting spoiled by a new local shop selling fresh pasta, it's amazing, but dang expensive, so I'd like to get a set up to make it at home.

I'm looking for one of those little machines that shape the dough into traditional, usable forms. Any recommendations? I'd like to be able to make both noodles, spaghetti and other larger round noodles as well as penne and rigatoni.

I have a KitchenAid Mixer, so I am open to getting attachments for it. As well as a stand alone device that would do the job.

Thanks all! Any advice appreciated.

Tim

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Penne, ziti, mastaccioli, and the myriad similar shapes are extruded. If you have a KitchenAid, I can't think of a better way to go than the attachment.

I'm old school (i.e., cheap) and use a manual pasta machine a friend gave me in the 80's when his grandma died. That alone makes it a keeper. It's a hand crank with settings for an increasingly thin sheet of pasta, with cutters for linguini and fettuccini. Fresh pasta is simple to make, and I can't believe how much they charge for it in boutiques. A place near me recently kicked Oprah out, and they never heard the end of it.

I've also been experimenting with alkaline noodles for ramen with this equipment.

Last edited:
I've been using nothing but a french rolling pin and a sharp knife. Might not be as pretty, but it all eats the same!

I'm old school (i.e., cheap) and use a manual pasta machine a friend gave me in the 80's when his grandma died. That alone makes it a keeper. It's a hand crank with settings for an increasingly thin sheet of pasta, with cutters for linguini and fettuccini. Fresh pasta is simple to make, and I can't believe how much they charge for it in boutiques. A place near me recently kicked Oprah out, and they never heard the end of it..

I have a similar machine. Too bad I am too lazy to use it. Homemade pasta is great.

I have always rolled the dough with a rolling pin and then hand cut. My father was an engineer, and when he made noodles, he would get out his straight edge and a ruler and every noodle was as identical as possible.

I have always rolled the dough with a rolling pin and then hand cut. My father was an engineer, and when he made noodles, he would get out his straight edge and a ruler and every noodle was as identical as possible.
+1 Thats great. As an aside I have the Kitchen Aid. I know what I will get next for it.

Like what Ouch said, the tube-styled pastas are extruded. So, one of those hand-crank models will not do that.

FYI there was a thread fairly recently here about pasta dough recipes.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've also been experimenting with alkaline noodles for ramen with this equipment.

For those who don't know what these are, they're noodles named after the Detroit Tigers Hall of Fame right fielder.

I've been using nothing but a french rolling pin and a sharp knife. Might not be as pretty, but it all eats the same!

I tried this a few times. I finally determined that it isn't possible to prepare enough calories by hand to gain weight this way. I bought a roller machine.

I cut gnocchi, tortellini, etc. by hand, but use an 'Imperia' machine for ravioli, tagliatelle, pappardelle, linguini and other flat pastas. You will also need a pasta stand to dry it out somewhat so that it doesn't stick together (or just let it hang on chairs, etc.) Perfetto :thumbup:

Have patience! It's kind of like shaving, but when you get the hang of it???? :a14:

Top Bottom