What's new

Past time for a follow-up report from this newbie

It’s been over a month since I posted about my return to shaving with a DE, so I figured it was (past) time for an update. Sorry this is so long.

Various wetshavers stressed the importance of prep and, as Smedley puts it, GAP (grain, angle, pressure). They were right. :smile: I’ve discovered that “no pressure” is trickier than it sounds, but is attainable. Correct blade angle is a constant concern, not always met successfully. And beard grain is an adventure. There are times I think my beard changes directions from day to day just to keep me off balance! As many of us have found, grain direction changes with location and can reverse itself abruptly :frown: . I guess I’m still learning, because I find patches where growth that I thought went like so now seems to go thataway instead. And I’m still trying to settle on the best approaches for areas where whiskers seem to grow in two directions or places like my jawline, where N-S starts going W-E or E-W.

With the exception of two days I’ve been using a black-handled SuperSpeed. I seem to have gotten the hang of using it fairly quickly. (I did use DEs for years, so this may be a return of habits both good and bad.) I fear my attentiveness to detail may drop off occasionally as a result. I generally do 2-3 passes; WTG, XTG, and then either touching up specific areas or another XTG in the opposite direction. I was pleased to find I could go S-N on my neck (XTG) without disaster. ATG seems largely a bad idea and may remain so. Mostly I’ve used AOS unscented cream and built lather on my face with a C&E best badger brush.

I’ve been working my way through letterk’s sampler. The Merkur blades were consistent, but only lasted through a couple shaves. When one is done it’s done, and continuing to use it is ill-advised. They were good blades for me to start with. The “IPs” (Crystals) are sharper and hold up better. The sharper blade meant better cutting in a few places, which I appreciated. Because their performance degrades gracefully I have a tendency to use them a little longer than is advisable. I’m trying to make a point of changing them every 3-4 shaves now.

I did not have good experiences with the Derby blades. Two separate attempts, 2 blades each time, from two different packs. Lots of irritation, bumps and ingrowns. I initially attributed this to a breakdown in my technique, but have decided these just may not be the blades for me. I’ve put them aside and returned to the Crystal blades (my current “baseline”). When my face recovers a bit more I’ll try the Swedish Gillettes.

While I have attained some BBS results, my standard for now is generally “good enough” without irritation or other problems.

I'm working through blades also, as are so many other members of this forum. I have over 20 different brands and have so far used only about 6 or 7. I'm also rotating through several different razors, so this experiment is definitely long-term. I chose Walmart Personnas as my baseline blade, not because I think they are a great blades but because I think they are average (not to mention that they're as plentiful and cheap a blade as can be found). With an average blade as my baseline I have a good standard against which to measure other blades.

While I have attained some BBS results, my standard for now is generally “good enough” without irritation or other problems.

And that is the purpose of shaving after all. The fact you have reached this level after a month bodes well for your shaving future. Your shaves will improve as you continue to learn what's best for your face.

Tyx for the update. :a14:

Marty

Top Bottom