What's new

Participation PIF - Swinging The Legendary Viking's Sword Blade

Viking Sword: Blade 1, edge 2, Shave 7 (20th Overall)

Result: 4.5/5 DFS Shave

Blade: Israeli Personna Viking Sword
Razor: Gillette Big Fellow
Brushes: Simpson T2
Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Splash: Thayer's Lavender Toner WH
Balm: OneBlade Black Tie PSB

Pretty solid shave today, but not exceptional. Mostly DFS all around. The blade did its job. but OCs and I don't always see eye-to-eye. That was the case today. While the shave was close, there were a couple of spots around the apple where the blade gave me a sensation similar to the scratchiness of s really cheap badge brush. But mostly the blade behaved itself,
Past couple of your shaves have been with CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout!! Vikings and Stout seem like a natural pairing!! SKOL!!

Past couple of your shaves have been with CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout!! Vikings and Stout seem like a natural pairing!! SKOL!!

Look back to the beginning. Through all 20 shaves so far, I've alternated between the two brushes I won from @Hannah's Dad in the NBCF Auction, and used the same soap, WH, and PSB. The only thing that has changed has been the razors. I've been trying to test the blade with as large a range of razors as I could, and to isolate that pairing, I've been keeping everything else the same.

Two more shaves:
1/2 head w El fantasma PAA (double slant) w a ss handle. Vikings use 3. Was a fine close non irritating shave.

Head and face shave today;
Karve OC C
Viking #4
Soap: A&E Plumb
Brush Yaqi 26
AS Witch asa alcohol
AB Prraso
2+ head and 2+ passes face. Had some irritation on the face.....who knows, maybe was leftover from yesterday......Head was smooth and no irritation. This is a good blade.

2s2s2s (2).jpg

1st blade Shave 8, Still 2 pass BBS.

Razor/Blade: Gillette 1917 Standard/Vikings Sword
Soap: B&M Cologne Russe
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
AS:B&M Cologne Russe

I just saw ebay selling this at $8 for just 20 pieces. Is it always this expensive? I thought the personna blades are supposed to be cheap.

Vikings Blade #2 Shave #4
Got a DFS this A.M. & the blade is not slowing down yet. Used PdP soap & the blade glided easily through the stubble. No nicks or irritation noted. The FOCS Razor was also used for the shave.

Viking Sword 2nd Blade First Shave. BBS-
Razor: Rockwell 6S plate R5
Brush: Simpson T2
Soap: Arko bowl, not stick
Face Tonic: Lucky Tiger
A/S: Clubman Pinaud

I took a week off as I felt like I had regressed in my technique and I wanted to try some new razors but I felt like it wouldn't be fair to rate this blade when used in unfamiliar razors. I think I improved my technique in some areas and regressed in others. I think that I was shallowing my shave angle a bit too much while testing the first blade and this was making it difficult for me to get as close a shave as I liked. My vintage Gillettes took a toll on my face. I haven't figured them out yet but I had to try. I was actually looking forward to some of the comfortable shaves that I was getting with the Viking Sword blade like I had during my previous test. So back with my best razor I began testing another Viking Sword.
For the first time since I can remember I didn't shower before I shaved. I am on vacation this week with no where I really need to go, just doing the pandemic shelter in place even though it isn't required here. So I began by splashing hot water on my face to relax the beard some while I bloomed a puck of Arko. Before dumping the bloom water I rubbed some of it into my stubble to help soften it some more. I loaded my brush with soap and whipped up a pretty decent lather in my lathering bowl and went to work. I did a three pass shave, XTG,GTX and ATG with touchups. My main trouble spot is the left side of my neck. Typically if I have a problem that is where it is. I am right handed and on the left side of my neck the grain of my hair runs from left ear to center of neck. That means when going for the ATG pass on the left side of my neck, I am pulling the razor away from me instead of towards me if that makes sense. I had one small weeper under my lip where I have some small bumps. This isn't a knock on the blade, the bump got in the way. After the shave I felt some soreness on my neck and applied Lucky Tiger tonic which eased the irritation. After about five minutes I applied Clubman Pinaud and I got a good stinging sensation. Five minutes later I feel no irritation at all. I am kind of amazed. I might retire my Nivea post shave balm. My shave is BBS except for a little stubble at the extreme left side of my neck. I chalk this one up as a great close and comfortable shave(after post shave treatment).

Just as a comparison note, I tried an Israeli Personna Platinum this morning. It seems sharper on the first go around than the Vikings so I doubt it's identical. I would really need to try a side-by-side comparison with the same model of razor to find out, but I don't think I've got two of any razorf

I had shave #2 today with the same blade and setup except the cream got changed to Vicco.

Another BBS. But this time the shave felt a little bit rough. I blame it on the cream though since Vicco is super sensitive with water.

Overall, I feel this is a damn good blade. It's easy to use compared to Gillette Platinum and GSB. Yet, it can deliver BBS.

Does anyone know how much 100 cost?
I found them on Amazon, 20 pack for 30 cents a blade, 100 pack for 17 cents a blade and 200 pack for 15 cents a blade.

Viking Sword: Blade 1, Shave 5 and 6

My mom had given me my dad's "old razor" a few years back when she learned that I had started using a DE. For my entire childhood and early years of adulthood my dad has always had a full beard and never shaved. When he did finally shave his beard he started using cartridges so my mom figured he didn't have a use for his DE. I had no idea what it was until last Friday when I dug it out to clean it up and did a little homework on it. Turns out it is a 1951 SuperSpeed.

I loaded blade number in it Saturday morning and was very pleased with the shave I got. It was very smooth and the Viking sword continued to perform very well. No nicks, weepers, or irritation and no tugging yet.

This morning I used the same setup and aside from a little tugging ATG on my neck it was still a rather enjoyable shave. I think I will use this blade one more time to confirm that the tugging was the blade and not just me being in a little bit of a rush.

Overall still quite impressed with how well these blades work for me.
2020-11-30.gif

Razor: 51 SuperSpeed
Blade: Israeli Viking Sword (5-6)
Brush: Fine Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Glastonbury
Balm: Nivea
Splash: Stirling Executive Man

Viking Sword: Blade 1, edge 2, Shave 8 (21st Overall)

Result: 4.5/5 BBS Shave

Blade: Israeli Personna Viking Sword
Razor: Gillette Contract Tech
Brushes: Silvertip of unknown origin.
Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Splash: Thayer's Lavender Toner WH
Balm: OneBlade Black Tie PSB

Back to the mild side of the street. Nothing spectacular to report, just a competent DFS shave, without any bleeding or irritation.
The blade does appear to be in decline, although it still has a ways to go.

Seventeenth shave with the Viking's Sword. Even though slant night is on Tuesdays, my repaired and replated Krect arrived today and so had to move it ahead of the Braveheart once again. The shave is continuing to become harder to get a close shave, but the Krect did it's best to make sure it happened. I got another two pass plus touch up BBS, but the touch up did take more of an effort. One last shave with the Braveheart tomorrow night and then I will probably toss the blade finally after three weeks.

Blade 2#5 Vikings
razor: Gillette England Rocket HD
A&E plumb
Mighty midget mixed
AS: Proraso red
AB: Proraso sensitive

3 pass smooth and close shave. This was a no nonsense smooth daily option.....probably the best pairing for daily shaves for me....beating the Karve OC C. It's all good. Not sure I'll do head shave tonight...., too cold....

I usually do 3 shaves with a blade. So far :
Blade 1 : 3 shaves
Blade 2 : 4 shaves
Blade 3 : 2 shaves so far

I really like these blades. Only tried them in the FOCS. They are very smooth blades. Would buy them without hesitation.

This morning was my 1st shave with a PIF'd Viking Sword blade. (Thanks, again, Grundi!)
It's in my Tatara Masamune SB razor. Soap was a Wholly Kaw with the new Siero base, which is very, very slick.

With my usual 2 1/2 pass routine, the shave was smooth and drama-free--a very good thing. The shave seems at least as close as I'm used to. I'll know more in the evening when closeness starts to give way, but so far, so good.

I'll continue with this blade in the same razor but with different soaps and creams, and I'll let yo all know how it goes.

6th shave with this blade in my Tatara Masamune this morning. Shaves continue to be smooth and bloodless. Also close, but each shave takes more strokes and a couple of minutes longer to get there. I’m expecting 2-4 more shaves from it. Not bad, but some others do better in both shave quality and longevity.

Viking Sword 2 shave 9
Rockwell plate 3
Art of Shaving Peppermint
Omega mixed midget

another comfortable DFS. This is a mid-tier blade for sharpness for me. I’m also concluding that the choi of razor matters. Some don’t seem to work well with these blades. Others work quite well

Top Bottom