What's new

PARKER VARIANT

Gentlemen,
As there are many users I'm asking out of curiosity , is this an all brass razor ( WCS sayas so I think) ?
But some where else I saw that the head is made from Zamac.

What is the correct answer for this ?

Thanks

I was told by the owner of super safety razors, who has the distribution rights for Parker razors that the head on the Variant is Zamak.

The Variant is one of my favorite razors. From what I understand the Parker is all brass except for the cap. If that is true, how much money could Parker have saved by making the cap zamak?

eric.

I've heard the Variant is limited on the mild end. These days I prefer my Fatboy with settings 3 to 5. Anyone able to comment on where a 1 on the Variant might be closest to on a Fatboy or Slim?

I can only add that a Variant on setting '1' does nothing for me it's so mild - I still have mine but moved on to the Karve (C/OC)

Zamac cap and baseplate but threads on cap are brass. Most of your wear you have to worry about is on threads so don’t let that bother you. Shaves just as good as my Rex.

I swapped in a Progress top cap which makes it smoother, better under the nose and more aggressive per setting.

Any long threaded Merkur top cap would be the same. No need to purchase a Progress. Parts galore online.

I'll have to pick one up someday. I wanted to get the 87R, but read that it's incredibly mild. I fancied it as it reminds me of the old Aristocrats from Gillette. They are gorgeous razors!

Any long threaded Merkur top cap would be the same. No need to purchase a Progress. Parts galore online.

Too late! LOL

I've always wanted one anyway and it's a long handle version which I prefer. Price was right, just need to sneak it past SWMBO.

Great razor. I use a 3.0 setting for my WTG and XTG passes, and 1.5 for ATG. That seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I like mine, but I prefer mild razors so I keep mine on 0-1 (0 meaning as little exposure as the razor can do). It surprisingly still shaves just fine.

Have to admit the Long Handle Progress is really nice, set to about the same as the Variant it shaves smoothly.

I may after a week or so swap the top cap in and see if that changes anything with the Variant.

Either way both are keepers for me.

I guess I am the strange one....this razor did NOT work for me....always left hair behind....I was lucky the seller took it back *well, exchanged for a 6C*. I usually am against cheap chinese razors, but the Futur copies are good and the Parthenon 2 is also fine.

The Variant is one of my favorite razors. From what I understand the Parker is all brass except for the cap. If that is true, how much money could Parker have saved by making the cap zamak?

eric.
Not just the cap but the complete head is
Zamak , and it's not just the Variant all
Of the Parker razors have Zamak heads
And some have brass handles and that's
Just about it for most Parkers

Not just the cap but the complete head is
Zamak , and it's not just the Variant all
Of the Parker razors have Zamak heads
And some have brass handles and that's
Just about it for most Parkers
Thanks for the clarification. At least the Variant's threads are brass.

eric.

Thanks for the clarification. At least the Variant's threads are brass.

Yep. Exactly as per the Merkur Progress it is copied from. Brass handle and thread, zinc alloy head (base and cap).

it’s just a shame that Parker raised the cap height compared to the Merkur one, but that’s easily rectified with a readily-available Merkur two-piece cap spare.

Top Bottom