What's new

Paring down my razors

The time has come to officially hang up the last vestiges of the hobby by paring back my razors to just those I want to keep for the rest of my life. Pretty soon, I will put the ones I don't want to keep up for sale and use the funds to offset the cost of having some replated. Here is what I am looking at. Some I know I want to keep, some I know I want to get rid of and some I am still trying to figure out (thus this post). Collective wisdom would be appreciated.

Keeping:
  1. Gillette Diplomat
  2. Merkur repro of the Gillette 1904 Bar (first DE for me)
  3. Merkur 33c
  4. Gillette SS flare tip red
  5. OC NEW (short comb)
Purging:
  1. Gillette SS black tip
  2. Gillette lady's razor (red)
  3. Khaki with a split handle
  4. OC New (short comb)
  5. Gillette SS Flare Tip Silver
  6. Gillette Super Adjustable (black handle, long)
  7. 2 Gillette travel razors (disposable razors are too convenient while on the road)
Questioning:
  1. Tech
  2. Franken-Tech
  3. Gillette Milord 1947 ?
  4. Schick Krona
  5. Gillette Aristocrat 1948
  6. Unknown - looks like a tech head with OC and a ball tip handle that appears to be aluminum and there are no cones just short flat pegs. See below. The underside of the base plate is unmarked.

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_131144797.jpg
    IMG_20210227_131144797.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'd keep the Aristocrat, especially if it was cased and in decent shape. Possibly the same for the Milord, but all things equal, the Aristocrat is a higher end razor.

I bought my pre-war, fat handle, Tech for about $15 (shipped) from the big auction website.
Since there are so many out there, and most are not expensive,
I would argue: you gotta keep a Tech. What's the harm in that? lol

Everyone should have a Tech around... I'd keep almost any tech over a Merkur 33c (probably even a sportsman).

I get keeping your first DE (I gave mine away years ago and don't miss it) but most Merkurs I've found to be nothing too special - they work just fine, but I consider most of them overpriced and unspectacular in use.

I bought my pre-war, fat handle, Tech for about $15 (shipped) from the big auction website.
Since there are so many out there, and most are not expensive,
I would argue: you gotta keep a Tech. What's the harm in that? lol

I really wrestled with this myself. The tech head gives a great shave but the ones on my list just do a better job for me. If I did keep one, it would be the franken-tech as the handle is a heavy old type ball end and that weight is much more to my liking.

Deciding which razors to keep is a challenge. I would keep the razors that truly gave me the most outstanding shaves. I also would keep the razors that had some historical connection to me, like the year of my birth, graduation, marriage, or whatever.

I would resist having too many razors, because the more razors you have in rotation, the less opportunity you have to use them.

Razors are tools, and tools are most appreciated when they are used; otherwise, you are an unpaid curator of a museum, a museum that has few visitors.

Everyone should have a Tech around... I'd keep almost any tech over a Merkur 33c (probably even a sportsman).

I get keeping your first DE (I gave mine away years ago and don't miss it) but most Merkurs I've found to be nothing too special - they work just fine, but I consider most of them overpriced and unspectacular in use.

This post hit home. New list:

Keeping:
  1. Gillette Diplomat
  2. Gillette Aristocrat 1948
  3. Gillette SS flare tip red
  4. Gillette Milord 1947 ?
  5. OC NEW (short comb)
Purging:
  1. Gillette SS black tip
  4. OC New (short comb)
  7. 2 Gillette travel razors (disposable razors are too convenient while on the road)
  8. Merkur repro of the Gillette 1904 Bar (first DE for me)
  9. Merkur 33c
  10. Tech
  11. STILL HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS ONE IS: Unknown - looks like a tech head with OC and a ball tip handle that appears to be aluminum and there are no cones just short flat pegs. See below. The underside of the base plate is unmarked.
Questioning:
  1. Franken-Tech
  2. Schick Krona - Good shaver, yes, but rarely used by me. Is it common to the Krona to have to have a more difficult final 1/4" turn to close the razor?

It's possible for any TTO razor to have a somewhat difficult 1/4 if it's seldom or never used. Soak it in warm soapy water and work the handle back and forth.

Also, pour a little mineral oil down the shaft in both directions, and work the handle back and forth. It should smooth out and improve. Remember that Schick Krona is 50 years old or so, so be kind and gentle to it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would use my past behaviour as my guide. When I buy and keep a razor then I sell one - the one that I have used the least. The reason why it is used least is immaterial, the fact remains that I rarely if ever select that razor. The monetary value, rarity, beauty, condition, or anything else is irrelevant, for me anyway. I have sold many nice vintage razors, including Aristocrats, because I did not like or use them, and I have never regretted it.

This post hit home. New list:

Keeping:
  1. Gillette Diplomat
  2. Gillette Aristocrat 1948
  3. Gillette SS flare tip red
  4. Gillette Milord 1947 ?
  5. OC NEW (short comb)
Purging:
  1. Gillette SS black tip
  4. OC New (short comb)
  8. Merkur repro of the Gillette 1904 Bar (first DE for me)
  9. Merkur 33c
  10. Tech
  11. STILL HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS ONE IS: Unknown - looks like a tech head with OC and a ball tip handle that appears to be aluminum and there are no cones just short flat pegs. See below. The underside of the base plate is unmarked.
Questioning:
  1. Franken-Tech
  2. Schick Krona - Good shaver, yes, but rarely used by me. Is it common to the Krona to have to have a more difficult final 1/4" turn to close the razor?
The Krona doesn't have a final quarter turn. It's like a Superspeed. The quarter-turn lock-down is a function of the Gillette adjustables (Fatboy, Slim; not sure but I think the Super Adjustables, too). Not a feature of any of the Superspeeds, and not a feature of the Krona. If the doors will close and hold the blade in place, you are good to go.

The Krona doesn't have a final quarter turn. It's like a Superspeed. The quarter-turn lock-down is a function of the Gillette adjustables (Fatboy, Slim; not sure but I think the Super Adjustables, too). Not a feature of any of the Superspeeds, and not a feature of the Krona. If the doors will close and hold the blade in place, you are good to go.
Mine has the 1/4 turn "feature". Going to put it in a warm bath over night and see what happens.

Top Bottom