What's new

Para-cord!

I am so close to going out into the yard, tying some to a tree and swinging for a little while to see if it will take my weight. Theoretically it should hold well over two of me at 550 pounds breaking strength.
Do it,... do it!

Your good, as to my knowledge true mil-spec 550 has 7 inner strands.
From what I've read, 7 inner strands, each inner strand made of three individual strands. Some commercialy available 550 may not have the 3 strands on the inner strands.

Legion

Staff member
Do it,... do it!

LOL.

OK, I just did it. I can report two things. Firstly, the cord was easily able to support my weight. Secondly, if you are going to put your foot in a loop of paracord with your whole weight on it, make sure your boots have a sturdy sole. :biggrin1:

Oh, and thirdly, you are never going to get those knots undone.

Last edited:
LOL.

OK, I just did it. I can report two things. Firstly, the cord was easily able to support my weight. Secondly, if you are going to put your foot in a loop of paracord with your whole weight on it, make sure your boots have a sturdy sole. :biggrin1:

:thumbup: I nearly spat out my lunch... awesome :biggrin1:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
$Paracord 003.JPG

LOL.

Nice! Nothing beats battle testing.:thumbup:

LOL.

that was a laugh

LOL.

:thumbup:

From what I've read, 7 inner strands, each inner strand made of three individual strands. Some commercialy available 550 may not have the 3 strands on the inner strands.

OIC, that makes better sense. Thanks!

LOL.

:lol:

Made my day just a little bit better, thanks! :biggrin1:

Well, I was being stupid. I was melting ends to keep them from fraying and ended up with it falling on my skin. Then in another moment of brilliance.....it was burning and melting and here it comes...I pinched it....the fire went out but the 550 cord melted to my finger tips. Now, I know none of you guys here have never done anything stupid.

I do have several hundred yards of the stuff, and do continue to use it.....but boy am I careful now.

um.... if you burn it so that it burns on it's own, forming a melted, black tear drop, then blow out the flame, you can use the metal frame of your cheap bic lighter to roll a peaked end that will fit through really small eyelets without ever having to touch that little ball of pain.

whatever you do, don't ever try to flick the flame out, because you may fling some of that molten pain onto your tearduct, and you truly will do the idiot's dance...

Years ago when I was going to the field and everyone kept their knife on a dummy cord(one end tied to your belt loop the other tied to what ever it was you did not want to lose... I put a little Swiss Army Classic, about 3" long, http://www.adorama.com/VI53001.html?gclid=CJTGnLG-i7MCFStgMgodfjoAnw , on about 30' of paracord, and stuffed it in my pocket. Folks would ask to borrow my knife. I would pull out this wad of para-cord with this itty bitty knife on the end...gosh it was hard to keep a straight face.

Years ago when I was going to the field and everyone kept their knife on a dummy cord(one end tied to your belt loop the other tied to what ever it was you did not want to lose... I put a little Swiss Army Classic, about 3" long, http://www.adorama.com/VI53001.html?gclid=CJTGnLG-i7MCFStgMgodfjoAnw , on about 30' of paracord, and stuffed it in my pocket. Folks would ask to borrow my knife. I would pull out this wad of para-cord with this itty bitty knife on the end...gosh it was hard to keep a straight face.

thats seems a laugh

I love this stuff. Used it for everything while deployed and on patrol once I got out. If you loop it around it'll tow at least 1000 lbs of concrete down the road.

It sure is only buy 7strand 550 more expensive but better quality :) yea that little monster can pull.

@Pfp dad. It must of been fun with the cord ?

Funny enough, I recently had a bad outing tying some stuff down with some of the cheap stuff. I was educated by the Cop who pulled over to help me tie it down again.

You want MIL-C-5040H (generally type iii) if you're looking for Military grade stuff. It can be rough to come by, but I've found some on eBay. The commercial variety, MIL-C-5040 without the H, is good but doesn't hold the same weight. Without either of those specs, it can be crap.

The better stuff (commercial or higher) not only has 7 inner strands, but those strands are themselves twisted. Military grade will also have one of them color coded.

proxy.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Last edited:
Top Bottom