What's new

Palmolive shave stick

Received my Palmolive shave stick all the way from Germany day before yesterday and used it for yesterday's shave. Being a regular user of Tabac and La Toja sticks, I found Palmolive to be a bit harder by standards. Eventually I was able to get a decent lather from it, but it seemed to require a bit more work to get there than I'm used to with the others.

I was considering cheese grating it into a bowl and using it that way versus as a face lathering stick.

Anyone else use this soap on a regular basis?

@Highspeedlane did you used a boar brush because Palmolive shave stick works better with a damp boar brush, and add a bit of water a long the way while building up your face lather.

@Highspeedlane the magic golden rule I was taught by Geofatboy at (Shave Nation) any shaving sticks you buy or used always work best and a lot easier with a damp boar brush because it much stiffer than badger and synthetic, also if your going away on a trip always take two boar brushes with you that way each brush get an extra day drying time doing each rotation shave.

I have used Palmolive with both badger and boar and get a great lather from it. Dampen the stick a bit, then rub it all over your face, then I swirl the brush over it to load the brush a bit.

I think I have only used synthetics with my Palmolive stick, and have had great success. I rub the wet stick on my wet face and the lather builds quickly.

I'm new with the Palmolive stick too, and I'm finding that the problems I'm having are related to the fact that I'm not using enough water. Palmolive soap is thirsty.

I'm a shower shaver so I always have plenty of water. I always wet the stick and then apply to my wet face and lather it up with a badger brush no problems. Really any of the sticks are perfect for me when I shave at the gym. La Toja and Tabac are my favorites but I use Arko and Palmolive regularly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Palmolive stick is right up there as one of my favourites, both for its performance and price here in the UK. As others have said, if you're going to face lather you will get better results with a stiffer brush. I wet the stick and rub it liberally over my face until it's covered in a thin film, then lather with one of my Semogue boar brushes, which I pre-soak for several minutes. It is quite a thirsty soap but when you get the water ratio right, you get a creamy slick lather that easily lasts for three passes.

I cut a few sticks into slices and pressed them into a container with a bit of water, so it's a lot softer than before.

Before loading my boar shaving brush which I shake the excess water off without squeezing it, I sprinkle in a few drops of water into the container then load the brush for about 20-30 seconds then face lather, adding more more water as needs be. It creates enough lather on the brush for a 3 pass shave.

It took a while to reach this particular stage, but I find it works well for me with my brush & water.

@Highspeedlane the magic golden rule I was taught by Geofatboy at (Shave Nation) any shaving sticks you buy or used always work best and a lot easier with a damp boar brush because it much stiffer than badger and synthetic, also if your going away on a trip always take two boar brushes with you that way each brush get an extra day drying time doing each rotation shave.
+1 to this! Though I don't have much trouble using my badger brushes with My Palmolive shave stick, I prefer using a boar since they work the best for face lathering.

Another vote for using plenty of water, it can take it and I think it rewards you with a more hydrating and protective shave.

I sliced a bit off of my arko shave stick when I got it and put that into a bowl and it worked well that way, was a bit easier than rubbing it on my face. Unfortunately I didn't really like the urinal cake smell of arko so I handed the rest over to my father.

Just finished this morning's shave using Palmolive and my Omega boar brush.

Firstly, all the great advice provided here worked! Palmolive wants water.

I would not classify Palmolive as a "slick" soap, but give it plenty of hydration and it will reward you with dense cushion.

I am sitting here feeling completely glass smooth, thanks in large part to my H3 Slim and an Astra SP.

Thanks everyone for your great advice!

Top Bottom