What's new

Pal SE Blue Carbon Blades

On my second shave using this blade. Experience with first shave found here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2816890&postcount=14

Modified the blade to fit into a 1912 Valet Auto Strop. Used Cella soap with a silvertip brush; side-note: loved the Cella (this is my first time using it). Much better prep this time and results were better too; less tugging than the first time, still a little bit on the the first pass.

Did 4 passes and some touch up and I'm BBS. Alum bar didn't detect any nicks or cuts. Face did feel a little raw/hot and dry after the alum was rinsed off. Used some Institute Karite aftershave balm and felt better.

Rinsed blade well, dried and applied some blade oil. Liking this blade. It seems sharper than the Ted Pellas, but a bit less smooth. Don't know how it would do without the blade oil protection between shaves, especially since I only shave about every 3 days.

I like them. You don't need to oil. I just dry off the blade and razor and they last well over a week without a hint of rust.

I like them. You don't need to oil. I just dry off the blade and razor and they last well over a week without a hint of rust.

It could take me as much as 4 weeks to get in 4 shaves sometimes. How many shaves are you getting per blade? Have you compared them to the Ted Pellas?

It could take me as much as 4 weeks to get in 4 shaves sometimes. How many shaves are you getting per blade? Have you compared them to the Ted Pellas?

I normally shave 6 times a week. So I know I can get 12 good shaves from them. Could probably go more. Mind you...I don't have the heaviest of beards. I have never tried Ted Pella blades. I have been completely satisfied with the blades I can get at my local drugstore or supermarket...GEM stainless from Walgreens, PAL from Food Lion, or the CVS blades. None need for Ted, and I don't understand the hype, or why some seem to consider them to be the gold standard.

I normally shave 6 times a week. So I know I can get 12 good shaves from them. Could probably go more. Mind you...I don't have the heaviest of beards. I have never tried Ted Pella blades. I have been completely satisfied with the blades I can get at my local drugstore or supermarket...GEM stainless from Walgreens, PAL from Food Lion, or the CVS blades. None need for Ted, and I don't understand the hype, or why some seem to consider them to be the gold standard.

Thanks for the replies. The Ted Pella blades I think are the same as the GEM blades you're getting at Walgreens. Getting them in bulk through a group buy here at B&B is usually the cheapest way to get them. Here's a link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=186630 to the current group buy. Brian is probably running low at this point, but he may still have a few boxes left.

For reference, what SE razor(s) are you using?

On my second shave using this blade. Experience with first shave found here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2816890&postcount=14

Modified the blade to fit into a 1912 Valet Auto Strop. Used Cella soap with a silvertip brush; side-note: loved the Cella (this is my first time using it). Much better prep this time and results were better too; less tugging than the first time, still a little bit on the the first pass.

Did 4 passes and some touch up and I'm BBS. Alum bar didn't detect any nicks or cuts. Face did feel a little raw/hot and dry after the alum was rinsed off. Used some Institute Karite aftershave balm and felt better.

Rinsed blade well, dried and applied some blade oil. Liking this blade. It seems sharper than the Ted Pellas, but a bit less smooth. Don't know how it would do without the blade oil protection between shaves, especially since I only shave about every 3 days.

Shaved this morning with one (thanks, Irwin). First pass is less smooth than say a Gem Pella or a Treet, but the result was very good: a comfortable, irritation free, close shave. I used my brass Gem jr, with an English spearmint shave cream that is not no be mentioned here (I am finishing it :blush:), ARKO as pre shave lather. Curious about the number of shaves this blade will give. Like the blued blade, btw :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Shaved this morning with one (thanks, Irwin). First pass is less smooth than say a Gem Pella or a Treet, but the result was very good: a comfortable, irritation free, close shave. I used my brass Gem jr, with an English spearmint shave cream that is not no be mentioned here (I am finishing it :blush:), ARKO as pre shave lather. Curious about the number of shaves this blade will give. Like the blued blade, btw :thumbup1:

Had my fourth very good shave with it, in my new British made Ever-Ready 1912 type. This morning I used Bottega Verde for the shave. Great lather, like it a lot, but that overly sweet almond smell... Why don't they make this in menthol or lemon?

Last edited:
I have never tried Ted Pella blades. I have been completely satisfied with the blades I can get at my local drugstore or supermarket...GEM stainless from Walgreens, PAL from Food Lion, or the CVS blades. None need for Ted, and I don't understand the hype, or why some seem to consider them to be the gold standard.

He also carries the PAL-blade in bulk... The blade we buy in group from him is the coated GEM Stainless, should be the same blade as the Walgreens one. CVS should be Treet. Not clear if Ted carries that one, or the GEM Blue Star in bulk. So basically Ted has them in bulk (100 or 200 blades).

HT, have you shaved with one yet? I have some Pal blues that look from the packaging to be from the 70s maybe 80s, i have no idea. Wondering if I should use them or not, they are still in cardboard wrappers. What ya think?:blink:

HT, have you shaved with one yet? I have some Pal blues that look from the packaging to be from the 70s maybe 80s, i have no idea. Wondering if I should use them or not, they are still in cardboard wrappers. What ya think?:blink:

Nope, this will be my first time with a PAL, but it's a new one. Break out one of the old PAL's and give it a shot, only way you'll know.

Had my fourth very good shave with it, in my new British made Ever-Ready 1912 type. This morning I used Bottega Verde for the shave. Great lather, like it a lot, but that overly sweet almond smell... Why don't they make this in menthol or lemon?

This morning my 6th shave, but now it no longer cuts. So, 5 very good shaves is what I get from a PAL. Not bad at all, considering they are 8,25 usd plus shipping per 100 from Ted Pella.

First shave with the PAL is now in the books. Used a gold Clog-pruf and vintage Colgate soap. Overall I like the blade, it does seem a bit rougher than a Treet or Blue Star on the first but the result was a good close shave and my face feels fine afterwards. It will be interesting to see how it does in different razors this week. I'm thinking Micromatic Open Comb tomorrow...

Got in my 3rd shave last night with that first blade. Still seems to be holding up well. Been about 3 weeks since my first shave with this blade, slow hair growth and a side venture to test out a DE razor account for the the slow shaving progress. Used the Valet Auto Strop again and the Cella too. Will have to finish off this blade in the Auto Strop since it's been modified. Did 3 passes skipping the WTG pass. Good results, a little spot missed along the jaw-line.

Second shave this morning with the PAL in a Micromatic open comb and vintage Surrey soap. Got the job done but sure felt a lot of tugging, not a very comfortable shave. I'll try it again tomorrow in a Damaskeene and see how it does.

Second shave this morning with the PAL in a Micromatic open comb and vintage Surrey soap. Got the job done but sure felt a lot of tugging, not a very comfortable shave. I'll try it again tomorrow in a Damaskeene and see how it does.

Yes, it is a bad razor the MMOC :tongue_sm:laugh: But seriously in my 1912 it is a nice blade.

Had my 3rd shave with the blade in a fat handled Gem Junior. Good, and close. Not the smoothest of blades, but works just fine. For me a lot like the Dorco, but better.

Decided to stick with the Micromatic line so I loaded the PAL into a Bullet Tip with the mystical, magical Guiding Eye and lathered up with Palmolive soap. This blade was really tugging and pulling so I replaced it with a Gem Personna from Walgreens to have something to compare it to. Wow, what a difference. The Gem was so much smoother so I finished with it and got a great shave with my least favorite MM model.

I will try another one later, maybe this one was a dud, but it sure isn't a smooth blade like the Treet, Blue Star and stainless coated Gems are.

Top Bottom